FAQ, FAQs, Frequently Asked Questions

okay, i am leaving for home tomorrow, and won't be back till jan 22. i won't be able to acess forum that often since i dont have internet access at home. please bump this on occasion. thanks and bye.

<big>How to Use the Forum</big>

Look at the FAQs! Also a very good search function is available above. It is sometimes quicker at answering your questions then waiting for a reply.

Your best bet is CAR_12's excellent FAQ at his webpage(look for a FAQ link there)

CAR_12's CM for Macs Webpage

wargamer.com's FAQ, based on posts by Steve and Charles

The Wargamer CM FAQ

Big Time Software's CM FAQ(way out of date):

Big Time Software's CM FAQ

Mina's Combat Mission Site

Combat-Mission.com FAQ's and also useful is the Terms page.

How do I use the ubb board?

How to make smilles, UBB code, etc.

<big>TCP/IP</big>

Where's the TCP/IP 1.1 patch?

<a href="http://combathq.thegamers.net/patches/patch.asp">Da' Patch<a/>

How do I find an opponent?

There is an opponents forum at battlefront:

CM Opponent Finder

How do I tell my IP address?

1) Use this URL: http://www.babygrrl.com/ip.shtml

2A) choose RUN from the Start menu and type "WINIPCFG". Then click one of the connection devices, and it will reveal your IP.

2B) If you are using Mac, look at the TCP/IP setting in the Control Panel.

3) Host a TCP/IP game, then your IP address is shown automatically.[last two from GriffinCheng+]

<big>Reality</big>

My King Tiger/Super Pershing/bad-ss tank missed fifteen times and got killed by a Stuart/Lynx/wuss tank! How did that happen?

Sometimes bad luck happens, even in war. The little units may be computers but they act like men, so there will be screw-ups, chokes, and bad karma. On the technical side tanks have weak spots, poor armor quality, or even design flaws. Plus, the Allied tanks have and now use tungsten rounds in the new 1.1 patch, a major tank killer.

Why are there only three men max shown per squad?

It takes too much computing power to show all 8-12 men. A lot of polygons go into those little men so tripling the number will tax almost any CPU/videocard.

Why isn't a bloody corpse shown for every casualty?

Again, too much computing power is required. Not only that but BTS felt that too much gore will detract from the game.

Do machine guns on vehicles jam or get damaged?

No, but they get knocked out if the main gun gets damaged.

Why can't my light/heavy machine gun run?

They have to carry the machine gun(heavy), spare gun barrels(a bit of weight), and ammo(really, really heavy). See the links so kindly provided by Lindan: spur of the moment complaining and David Aitken: Light MG 42's speed

Does anyone know where one can get good topological maps of European battlefields?

Do vehicles provide cover for infantry?

Only if they are knocked out and burning. The calculations are too complex for CM to do it while the vehicles are on the move.

Can we have sandbags in the foxhole graphics?

Sorry no, the big, dark crater is the same picture as the foxhole picture.

<big>Mods</big>

Where can I get some cool mods?

There are numerous places. First, start off at CMHQ. This is where most mods start off or wind up. Another place I go to is Kump's CM Outpost.

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

bump

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like FAQ's. I like them smothered in caramel sauce with little jimmies sprinkled on top. Yummy.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Bumbity bump<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many FAQ's does it take to change a Light Bulb?

I don't know, check the FAQ!!

(circular reasoning joke)

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Q: What did the tire say to the lawyer?

A: Bump.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't that be "Speed Bump" ?

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

So has anyone taken over the mantle of searchonaut in the last few months?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David Aitken has had a good stab at it.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-18-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

So has anyone taken over the mantle of searchonaut in the last few months?

A big "Hello!" to all the folks that recognize my screen name. You CAN get too much Combat Mission.

guachi (absent head of the Searchonauts)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, welcome back. Your work has been missed.

We are still wondering if you couldn't save all of your turns into one big movie, whether you should be able to run with MGs, and why you can't indrect fire with on-board mortars by themselves. frown.gif

Been killing anyone lately?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

...and then the FAQ said "No, I don't care what you think." I was dismayed to say the least. I then strapped my flamethrower back on and left for..."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"...the pub, because a pint of Stout is definitely recommended if you have to carry a blimmin' flamethrower into battle. Unfortunately I was only half-way down the road..."

"...the pub, because a pint of Stout is definitely recommended if you have to carry a blimmin' flamethrower into battle. Unfortunately I was only half-way down the road..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...when I came across a dead body. But there was no blood! Taking the nearly full bottle of Macallan from its outstretched hand, I uncorked it and wondered why...