Kohlenklau Test Dummy Log for learning Butschi's New Map Elevation Tool

kohlenklau

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

rjBLFT8.png

Ugh... Definitely not your fault. Try "pip install GDAL==3.2". if that doesn't work you can try "conda install -c conda-forge gdal". If I one of both worlds do pip install -r requirements.txt again.

Note to self: fix dependencies in requirements.txt.

3 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

1st one did not seem to work

2nd one seemed to go through

pip install r then had same error

D'oh. GDAL is really a diva. Unfortunately it is also the library for all things geo.

Please always copy the error message or send a screenshot if something goes wrong. I'll take a look though probably I can't do much before I get back home (sometime tomorrow).

On 12/17/2022 at 11:19 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Buildings I actually prefer to place myself. Elevation, roads and rivers are another matter.

same here. No need to attempt a 100% conversion since even when all handplaced it´s simply impossible. Zig-Zag roads i.e or stuff that ain´t exactly 45 or 90 degrees orientation and such. I need nothing but terrain contours and slopes. What might possibly help for creating the map is load an exact copy of the topo map as an "o" layer in map editor. With slopes all in place I think one can work much faster and more acurate manually and don´t waste time on correcting stuff the auto generator can´t do appropriately. There´s always places one needs to or want adapting manually (i.e forests, built up areas) and when it´s just for visuals and eye candy. A very good approximation with some inaccuracies is perfectly fine to recreate a historical or what if type battle IMO.

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

same here. No need to attempt a 100% conversion since even when all handplaced it´s simply impossible. Zig-Zag roads i.e or stuff that ain´t exactly 45 or 90 degrees orientation and such. I need nothing but terrain contours and slopes. What might possibly help for creating the map is load an exact copy of the topo map as an "o" layer in map editor. With slopes all in place I think one can work much faster and more acurate manually and don´t waste time on correcting stuff the auto generator can´t do appropriately. There´s always places one needs to or want adapting manually (i.e forests, built up areas) and when it´s just for visuals and eye candy. A very good approximation with some inaccuracies is perfectly fine to recreate a historical or what if type battle IMO.

And of course you are very welcome to only use the elevations part. 🙂 I see how doing the rest yourself can even be the fun part.

However, believe it or not, the main reason for me to develop this stuff is so I can use it myself. 😉 I'd like to do large maps for CMCW and I don't have the patience to place square kilometers of forest, miles of roads, hundreds of houses, etc. myself. Really no offense to the excellent scenario designers but if you compare e.g. the small, beautifully handcrafted maps of CMBN's Operation Epsom with the large maps in CMCW, the latter have much less detail. Some maps have only just one type of tree, for instance. For CMCW small maps are largely not an option and so I guess, even the authors had to sacrifice flavor in favor of making enough adequately sized maps within the time frame they were given. 

Now that's a matter of taste of course, some people are happy with abstracted maps. For me, immersion is an important part of the experience. Anyway, trust me, even with coming updates you will be able to only have elevations or roads or forests or whatever if you so choose. 😉

EDIT: But now let's not clutter Kohlenklau's thread with this kind of unrelated discussion.

EDIT 2: Aaand another note to self. Produce an overlay. Should be fairly easy to do...

Edited by Butschi

13 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

next is conda install -c conda-forge gdal

BUT it already had seemed to work without errors

so I will try requirements again

m93kDow.png

Thanks, I hope you spent your time spoiling your grandkids instead of wasting too much time on this.

I think I know now what the problem is...

7 minutes ago, Butschi said:

I think I know now what the problem is...

oh good. I DO try and type python commands accurately so I sure hope the "test dummy" is not living up to his title too much! I find myself TRYING to cut and paste the text which is a windows OS capability I suppose and I cannot drag my mouse and copy text in python command window. Oh, but now that I think of it, it is NOT a python command window, this is the DOS command window?

Are there any secret shortcuts for text command lines I can take advantage of? 😄

Edited by kohlenklau

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

I DO try and type python commands accurately so I sure hope the "test dummy" is not living up to his title too much!

As I said this is definitely not your fault. Two external libraries don't get installed properly. I guess there is a simple workaround but I'll have to test it and also find a more sustainable solution.

Hi guys, finally I was also checking the famous tools from @Butschi and I say thank you to his job but also @kohlenklau for the initiative to explain with details.

But for me guys this doen t work for the time, for sure  I made something wrong, this is why I let you see the python promt and some screenshots, I hope that we can than determine the false action that I did.

I have to switch with the alt ctrl del to stop the script my computer begin to be crazy, and all windows all programs are starting without that I do something myself, just a little overview, in the promt appears some errors.

After doing the command alt tab

you can see about 15 20 windows are open from a provider "Brave" that I download to test but not open now I could already close some windowns !

also my word documents begin to open page and also other windows from explorer later I could nt no more  close nothing this is why I interrupt with the command alt ctlr del and breathe ...

So perhaps I created without to want a virus, but for me this doens t work for the time, and I dont want, to starting again a new test without to have some help and living again this moment !

Probably I am the only guy where this doens t work for the time, but I dont know what I did wrong ???

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

36 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Hi guys, finally I was also checking the famous tools from @Butschi and I say thank you to his job but also @kohlenklau for the initiative to explain with details.

But for me guys this doen t work for the time, for sure  I made something wrong, this is why I let you see the python promt and some screenshots, I hope that we can than determine the false action that I did.

I have to switch with the alt ctrl del to stop the script my computer begin to be crazy, and all windows all programs are starting without that I do something myself, just a little overview, in the promt appears some errors.

After doing the command alt tab

you can see about 15 20 windows are open from a provider "Brave" that I download to test but not open now I could already close some windowns !

also my word documents begin to open page and also other windows from explorer later I could nt no more  close nothing this is why I interrupt with the command alt ctlr del and breathe ...

DAjAprn.jpg

P8iMWz3.png

IzEyZrX.png

So perhaps I created without to want a virus, but for me this doens t work for the time, and I dont want, to starting again a new test without to have some help and living again this moment !

Probably I am the only guy where this doens t work for the time, but I dont know what I did wrong ???

JM

Could you guys kindly come up with only one problem to solve at a time? 😄

Alright, now, sit down, take another deep breath, drink a cup of tea, start from the beginning: What did you do and in which order? Can you give me a little more context? Do you run, for instance, in windowed mode, what is the screen resolution? Which version of CMAutoEditor did you use?

To me it looks like you started CMAutoEditor but did not switch to the CM Scenario Editor (or not quick enough). Or Alt-Tab'ed out of CM bevor CMAutoEditor was finished. The thing is: CMAutoEditor doesn't know, actually can't know "where" it is. So if you have something open other then the CM Scenario Editor it will still happily work through its clicks. It is really just working through a set of commands like "move mouse here, click". So if you happen to be on the Windows surface instead, it will probably end up hitting some links you installed there.

Also, instead of trying to kill the process via ctrl + alt + del just moving the mouse to one of the corners of the screen should have worked.

49 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Could you guys kindly come up with only one problem to solve at a time? 😄

Hi Nico,  I was unpolite in my text, ?  sorry if this is the case, this is really not my way to be.😇

Alright, now, sit down, take another deep breath, drink a cup of tea, start from the beginning: What did you do and in which order? Can you give me a little more context? Do you run, for instance, in windowed mode, what is the screen resolution? Which version of CMAutoEditor did you use?

Following intruction 

1 download the anaconda3
2 download the github file CMAutoEditor
3 open the anaconda promt and type in the following in on a place folder in windowed mode
Working on two screen res 1920 x 1080

Prompt info
C:\Users\Marc64\CMAutoEditor-master>python .\cmautoeditor.py -i example_height_map.csv

Starting the CM game 
Go to map editor

Probably dont wait that the script was done before I started to 
Type alt tab dont remember ??

Than the mouse begin to move I guess read and convert already the elevation in CM  
Then windows...and the program begin to open like mentioned.

Probably you found the bad action
Alt-Tab'ed out of CM bevor CMAutoEditor was finished.

To me it looks like you started CMAutoEditor but did not switch to the CM Scenario Editor (or not quick enough). Or Alt-Tab'ed out of CM bevor CMAutoEditor was finished. The thing is: CMAutoEditor doesn't know, actually can't know "where" it is. So if you have something open other then the CM Scenario Editor it will still happily work through its clicks. It is really just working through a set of commands like "move mouse here, click". So if you happen to be on the Windows surface instead, it will probably end up hitting some links you installed there.

Also, instead of trying to kill the process via ctrl + alt + del just moving the mouse to one of the corners of the screen should have worked.

No about this I was trying to close some windows but the mouse was like blocked and when I come up with she come down automatiquely.

I dont doubt to your merveillous and helpfull tools, that will make a revolution in the way to construct real maps is only a silly and bad manipulation from myself.

No about this I was trying to close some windows but the mouse was like blocked and when I come up with she come down automatiquely.

I dont doubt to your merveillous and helpfull tools, that will make a revolution in the way to construct real maps is only a silly and bad manipulation from myself.

Thanks to you quick reply and again apologyse if I was not correct !

Ich bin normal sehr höflich in meine text ! 

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

44 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Hi Nico,  I was unpolite in my text, ?  sorry if this is the case, this is really not my way to be.😇

You did sound as if you needed to vent some frustration... But my comment was because I was trying to solve @kohlenklau's problem and I do get a little nervous when those problems come in faster than I can solve them. 😄

Ok, so, looking at the order in which you did things

47 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Prompt info
C:\Users\Marc64\CMAutoEditor-master>python .\cmautoeditor.py -i example_height_map.csv

Starting the CM game 
Go to map editor

That is wrong.

You have to do it in this order:

1. Start CM, go to Scenario Editor->maps->Elevations, click "Direct"
  2. Alt-Tab, go to prompt
  3. C:\Users\Marc64\CMAutoEditor-master>python .\cmautoeditor.py -i example_height_map.csv
  4. Go to Scenario Editor (again).
  5. Wait until the script is done.

If you haven't got the latest version https://github.com/DerButschi/CMAutoEditor/releases/tag/1.2.0 I suggest you try that. It gives you a nice little window with instructions and only start once you hit the okay button. You can also increase the contdown (-c option). You will run into the same problem as @kohlenklau if you try to use geotiff2cm.py but for just run cmautoeditor it should work.

26 minutes ago, Butschi said:

You did sound as if you needed to vent some frustration... But my comment was because I was trying to solve @kohlenklau's problem and I do get a little nervous when those problems come in faster than I can solve them. 😄

Understood, nobody like problems and more when they are coming on package, see when you have some anwaiting actions on your screen, that you cannot stop...so  a little nervious, frustration, yes I was, but very quick, too quick writting with frozen fingers...😆

26 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Ok, so, looking at the order in which you did things

That is wrong.

You have to do it in this order:

1. Start CM, go to Scenario Editor->maps->Elevations, click "Direct"
  2. Alt-Tab, go to prompt
  3. C:\Users\Marc64\CMAutoEditor-master>python .\cmautoeditor.py -i example_height_map.csv
  4. Go to Scenario Editor (again).
  5. Wait until the script is done.

If you haven't got the latest version https://github.com/DerButschi/CMAutoEditor/releases/tag/1.2.0 I suggest you try that. It gives you a nice little window with instructions and only start once you hit the okay button. You can also increase the contdown (-c option). You will run into the same problem as @kohlenklau if you try to use geotiff2cm.py but for just run cmautoeditor it should work.

The way is totally different that I did, ok, I will try again like you mentioned, and will use the last version, and also will be happy to clic on the Ok button, this will avoid I guess some mistakes ! 🙄😊

IN My Butschi folder, I have all ver of your CMAutoEditor, also the last 1.2.0, but also a CMAutoEditor-master so which one contain the correct script that I need CMAutoEditor last ver or the ...-master ?

is perhaps easy for you that know what you are doing, but when you have to choose and dont know is another story ??

Thanks to yo support !

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

28 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

IN My Butschi folder, I have all ver of your CMAutoEditor, also the last 1.2.0, but also a CMAutoEditor-master so which one contain the correct script that I need CMAutoEditor last ver or the ...-master ?

CMAutoEditor-1.2.0 is the correct one. If you go to code->Download Zip you will always get the very latest code but it is always called "-master" so it is hard to keep track. A "tagged" version, i.e. one with -x.y.z at the end is fixed. The -master version is always what I happened to upload last.

32 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

is perhaps easy for you that know what you are doing, but when you have to choose and dont know is another story ??

True. Which is why I hang out in this thread. 😉

Gentlemen, (Ladies?)

for the next few days I'll be busy with the CM Holiday Tourney, casually playing games with friends, making a map or two (you know, actually using that tool 😉) and, oh, Christmas and family and all that real life stuff!

Thank you all very much for your kind words, your interest and your support over the last few... it's actually months now, isn't it? That was really inspiring! I know, there is still a lot to do until everything runs smooth enough, but we'll get there. 😉

In the meantime, have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year! 🥳🎄🎆

12 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Gentlemen, (Ladies?)

for the next few days I'll be busy with the CM Holiday Tourney, casually playing games with friends, making a map or two (you know, actually using that tool 😉) and, oh, Christmas and family and all that real life stuff!

Thank you all very much for your kind words, your interest and your support over the last few... it's actually months now, isn't it? That was really inspiring! I know, there is still a lot to do until everything runs smooth enough, but we'll get there. 😉

In the meantime, have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year! 🥳🎄🎆

Happy moment to me also, its work see your pm, thanks Nico nice gifts, Fröhliche Weihnacht und frohes Fest, wish you all the best for next year!

JM