Kohlenklau Test Dummy Log for learning Butschi's New Map Elevation Tool

kohlenklau

We can move on to Case 2.

This was Ost Prussia.

Schirwindt seems easier versus Goldap.

@Aragorn2002Do you want to be the test dummy alongside me? Can you do Steps 1 and 2 to get tool installed? Nico holds my hand and I hold your hand and we all bungee jump.

@Butschi That Polish site...I went there but didn't see how to grab a big tif that encompasses Schirwindt and Goldap...

It seems Case 2 is really just Case 1 with free tif versus buying tif data from Hungary. I think.

36 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

We can move on to Case 2.

This was Ost Prussia.

Schirwindt seems easier versus Goldap.

@Aragorn2002Do you want to be the test dummy alongside me? Can you do Steps 1 and 2 to get tool installed? Nico holds my hand and I hold your hand and we all bungee jump.

@Butschi That Polish site...I went there but didn't see how to grab a big tif that encompasses Schirwindt and Goldap...

It seems Case 2 is really just Case 1 with free tif versus buying tif data from Hungary. I think.

I would be a fool to turn down such a generous offer. But perhaps we have to start with Schirwindt, Phil, like you already suggested. I'm going to make step 1 and 2 now.

You're gonna regret this, Phil. 😀

Below the bold text from your Step 2.

"cd C:\Users\Phil\CMAutoEditor-master

then it shifts directory and you see C:\Users\Phil\CMAutoEditor-master>

then type pip install -r requirements.txt

It scrolls a bunch of code stuff as it loads things"

What happens is that Wordpad is opened and showing this list:

numpy
pandas
pyautogui
keyboard
rasterio
pyproj
matplotlib
tqdm
scipy
scikit-image

Is that correct and what do I do with this list?

21 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Post your operating system so Nico can know where you are coming from.

You had the black command window open?

Yes, It showed C:\Users\Jacob\CMAutoEditor-master>requirements.txt

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

AMD Athlon IIX4 640 Processor, 4 GB RAM.

Will try to post screenshots, but have to figure that out first.

18 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

C:\Users\Jacob\CMAutoEditor-master>requirements.txt

it should not have shown that. hold on. I can find one of MY screenshots with commands. standby

EDIT:

ok, I don't have THAT specific screenshot as I made it through that part ok.

in your black window you should see just this

C:\Users\Jacob\CMAutoEditor-master>

then after the arrow you type this command line

pip install -r requirements.txt

and hit enter

Edited by kohlenklau

10 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Hmm, doesn't do anything. I've copied your command and tried several variations too, but or the install isn't recognized, or I get back to C:\Users\Jacob\CMAutoEditor-master>

Wait a moment, I think I found something.

Edit

Nope, Command isn't recognized as intern or extern command, program or batch file.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Just chiming in quickly. Sorry, as I said I'll be busy with other stuff over the holidays, so I'll look in here infrequently.
I'll have to change that in the README and the tutorial: Please do not use pip install -r requirements.txt. Unfortunately it doesn't work for all the required packages.

Instead, @kohlenklau could you please share the conda_list.txt I gave you?

Then do

conda create -n py37_cmautoeditor --file conda_list.txt

And everytime you open a new prompt in which you want to run CMAutoEditor stuff do

conda activate py37_cmautoeditor

As for the other question: You can download several smaller tif-files. Then in your command prompt (after conda activate py37_cmautoeditor) you can cd to the folder where you have those tif-files and merge them with

rio merge *.tif merged_elevations.tif (or any other name...)

THIS IS WHAT BUTSCHI SENT ME BY PM WHEN THE "PIP INSTALL..." DID NOT WORK.

So, the problem is that "pip install" just doesn't work for the rasterio package... conda install works but the mixture of both causes trouble. Ok, let's try this:

1. Please download https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaks9o1wzidqz01/conda_list.txt?dl=0 and put the file into your CMAutoEditor folder.
  2. In the command prompt do "conda install --file conda_list.txt" (answer yes asked if you want to install upgrade, downgrade, whatever a number of packages).

With luck this works. I did a test install with python 3.7.6 (your version afaik) and in worked on my machine. Since you are on Windows 7, this might not work.

If it doesn't, try: (Btw. paste should work with right-click -> paste, I think?)

1. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels numpy
  2. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels pandas
  3. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels pyautogui
  4. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels keyboard
  5. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels rasterio
  6. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels pyproj
  7. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels matplotlib
  8. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels tqdm
  9. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels scipy
  10. conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels scikit-image

If that fails, too, try:

1. conda create -n py37_cmautoeditor -c conda-forge --override-channels python==3.7.6 --file conda_list.txt
  2. conda activate py37_cmautoeditor

In this case you'll have to do step 2 (conda activate ...) each time you run a CMAutoEditor script. But... actually that is one of the nifty things about conda. You can have different environments, which is useful if you have different such tools and don't want all the libraries etc. mixed up.

6 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

@Aragorn2002 Maybe hold off for after this weekend. You and I jumped off the bridge with the bungee cord but Nico stayed back there with his girlfriend. hahaha 😉

Nah, what can possibly go wrong? 😄

... And I'm... reasonably certain that if you start directly with this:

9 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:
  • conda create -n py37_cmautoeditor -c conda-forge --override-channels python==3.7.6 --file conda_list.txt
  • conda activate py37_cmautoeditor

It will work. 😉

Alright, I hope you follow my analogy. No disrespect, I am not a Catholic - but I respect a good organization with a clear chain of command! I think we got this CMAutoEditor training running like the Roman Catholic Church. Nico Butschi Herr Doktor Herr OberCodenFuhrer is like God and maybe then I am the Pope? 🙂 And Sorry Jacob, @Aragorn2002 you are just a Cardinal. I will send you a red hat and cloak.

Best wishes for 2023 to all forumites

~Phil

6 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Alright, I hope you follow my analogy. No disrespect, I am not a Catholic - but I respect a good organization with a clear chain of command! I think we got this CMAutoEditor training running like the Roman Catholic Church. Nico Butschi Herr Doktor Herr OberCodenFuhrer is like God and maybe then I am the Pope? 🙂 And Sorry Jacob, @Aragorn2002 you are just a Cardinal. I will send you a red hat and cloak.

Best wishes for 2023 to all forumites

~Phil

That's too much honor for me, Phil. I see myself more as an enthusiastic, but clumsy verger.

I'll get back to you on the CMAutoEditor training next year. 😀

And yeah, best wishes for all CM folk and good hunting for 2023!

P.s. and now I come to think of it. Especially good hunting for all the Ukrainians fighting for their freedom!