Ages: 38.06 average

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated through bauhaus in the old fart thread and Hawkmoon in this one (11:57 PST), with 97 qualified responses:

Average age 36.63748.

Mode age: 38.

Median age:36.

BTS can now target advertising for the game at the correct audience, meaning wherever you find 30-somethings with no life and/or alienated spouses.

They may also wish to consider larger font sizes, augmented audio, and banner ads for Matlock, based on these surprising demographics.

Guest scurlock

Hey Mark, click on the profiles, we're two separate people allright. Seems Greg and my father are both originally from the Birmingham area of Alabama. I still haven't confirmed if we are blood relations.

Mark IV (as in Lincoln?):

Thank you for the humor and statistical analysis. Since I have had to suffer through two statistics classes, I wanted to use something of what I learned in one of the few places where it has ever come up:

*Average* (or "mean"): all ages added and divided by number of ages (yeah, I know, that's the easy one)

*median*: the age right in the middle..half the ages are lower and half are higher than this number

*mode*: The most frequently occurring age.

*outlier*: a score (age in this case) which is far greater or lesser than most of the scores you're studying...so much so that it will make your statistics unrepresentative if you include it.

Now--on what other game chat board can you get high quality educational material like this? All of our teenage members are going to get at least 695 in their math SAT's. (I went to an (all male--gag) academic high school where we had lots of guys with a high opinion of their abilities. One guy I remember wrote a letter of protest to the SAT board saying he had received an incorrect score: it was only 696 and he knew he had made a perfect score.

[sound of blowing chunks]

--Max

What's the highest score in the SAT ?

It's hard to know what 695 is without knowing the highest possible score (which I'm presuming is 700 from the little story which followed wink.gif )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Fionn:

SAT's: Individual tests (Verbal or Math) range from 200-800, combined Math and Verbal = 400-1600. In essence, due to the calibration of the tests, you get 400 just for showing up, although you won't impress alot of people that way. You *might* be able to get a football scholarship though...

I know one friend from high school who scored a 1580, yep, a 790, 790 kinda guy. Of course, he went on to graduate from a very good school with a dual computer science-electrical engineering degree in three years.

Now, he is Director for a Satellite Program for a firm outside Washington DC. Very cool guy.

SAT: The tests are standardized, using Item Difficulty and Item Discrimination in order to spread the scores of differing "ability levels" across the score range. ETS (the makers of the SAT) for some reason (political I believe) chose not to base the scores at 0. Questions are drawn from an Item Bank that is statistically validated each year for Internal Validity. From 5 to 7 tests are distributed at each testing session, hence "peeking" at your neighbor will *not* help you at all. His/her test is has an 80% chance or being different from yours. Multiple questions test each theoretical knowledge construct, hence, ETS can perform internal validity tests on their own questions, and see how questions which supposedly measure the same construct score for the same person, as well as how the success rate for a given question relates to the overall score.

Three points for whoever can guess what my Master's and PhD work was in.

Sorry for the rant... way too much Schnapps this evening, although I have to recommend Black Haus Blackberry schnapps to anyone old enough. Time for bed before I seriously go off the deep end...

Herr Oberst, DigitHead

Guest Tom punkrawk

Eridani,

They actually let you play games on the computers at your school?Let alone a "violent" game.

At my school the only games we could play are solitare and Tetris.

But yet I can't blame them from all the programs,virus',hacking we did to the computers there.Never really hurt the computers,just made them useless to the clueless teachers.It's boring when you know more about what the teachers trying to teach you then they do.

Before i moved they had a pretty tight security sys. on them. Couldn't even change the desktop color.oh well =)

Josh

------------------

Dork Punk Productions and Design

WW2Games page-

http://www.geocities.com/ww2games

Battle Of The Bulge TC for ww2gi-

http://www.geocities.com/botbtc

Ww2gi Screaming Eagles multiplayer group-

http://www.geocities.com/screamingeagles1

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show

Originally posted by Mark IV:

"... meaning wherever you find 30-somethings with no life and/or alienated spouses. "

Dudes, this is my life now...get up go to work come home play CM go to sleep get up go to work come home play CM go to sleep. I sleep for 3 hours a night, whether I need it or not. Last time I saw my wife and kids (awake) was three days ago when I actually got home for dinner one night. I need help. I am sick. Stop me before I lose my family! NAAAAAAAH! biggrin.gif

My age of 52 should bump up the average age of players. I have been playing war games from miniatures to board and computer games since I was a teenager in the 60's.

The amount of WW2 models that were available in the 60's were unbelievable and dirt cheap too! I would spend days making models and painting minuature soldiers for hours...I would come out of the room on a high from all the glue sniffing and not knowing what was causing it in those days smile.gif

With 108 results, the average has moved back up to 36.93366. Thanks to Tom Manning in the other thread who, at 66 years, may be the Field Marshall of the board. Mode and median remain unchanged.

scurlock second-of-two: I can't wait to see the Oprah segment on how Combat Mission brings families back together...

maxm2: That would be Mark IV as in "Panzerkampfwagen", duh. Thank you for the kind words, but how could you pay such good attention in Statistics yet sleep through History and German? My name isn't Mark, BTW, but terrestrials are not able to pronounce my real name.

MrPeng: Sound contact is sufficient to establish presence of family. At least they leave you alone. If my little Chrysanthemum (She is native Japanese) catches me playing the "G*D**M wargamez", which is intended to be singular, life is shrill hell. Despite the accent She has a command of the idiom. We compromise, in that I give Her money to go away (shopping). If the phone rings, I first kill the PC speakers because I can't plausibly deny the inevitable question with MGs chattering in the background. It would be better for me if the game were never released. frown.gif

rwcanuck: I too loved model building and the accidental contact high. I preferred tanks to planes. However, I never had the patience to paint the things, and did not consider the modeling experience complete until the obligatory firecrackers had been planted in "cool" spots (after a few days) and lit. biggrin.gif

I must go now, for She is nigh....

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 01-15-2000).]

Mark IV, My last girl was native Japanese as well and oh boy did she resent my gaming smile.gif It became her personal war and boy was I in trouble if she caught me playing anything. She was very sweet and I do miss her sometimes but... I had never heard sayoonara sound so good wink.gif

p.s. kono goro nihongo no renshuu zen zen ****einai kedo tsukaitain desu, dekiru no?

Watch out with your Japanese, some people might understand it smile.gif Can't remember much from my Japanese lessons, but you said something about not using Japanese language today anymore? Hm... all I can say after my lessons is "tokyo tawa o ****te imasu ka" smile.gif

One word: Damare!

It's never worked yet but it's fun to say. This is a very educated board, BTW, I'm impressed. Were you ever denounced as either "nambanjin", or (shudder) "trabanjin"?

Near as I can tell: "hairy barbarian western caveman-devil humanoid". And they say it like it's a bad thing.

Guest coolguy101

I think i might bring that average down a bit. As I am only 14. You people are old!! smile.gif This is the best game i have ever played and this is the best message board i have ever participated in. I don't know where i would be without it smile.gif

Peace

coolguy101

[This message has been edited by coolguy101 (edited 01-16-2000).]

Mark IV: Watch out for the national past time of 'Feeding the Ducks'. I won't elaborate besides mentioning that Mr. Bobbit found out the hard way. It's a Thai thing, but maybe the Japanese have something similar. (I know, Bobbit's wife was from S. America, but who knows?)