Why I can't change some type of vehicles?

ncc1701e

• ncc1701e changed the title to Why I can't change some type of vehicles?
1 minute ago, ncc1701e said:

I am wondering why I can't change the BMP type in the Battalion Tactical Group. BMP-3 or BMP-2 are grey out. Am I missing something? 

I think you usually have to go up to the battalion level to make the change.  Then of course they all will change.  If you want to mix and match different vehicles into the same TOE you can delete some of the vehicles and add back in single purchase vehicles.  However the HQ  vehicle will be whatever was set in the option for the formation.   

46 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

Well I can change between BMP-3K and BMP-2K, the 1st Command Vehicle. 

I suspect I am not fully understanding the question.  The base TOE in the game attempts to be as accurate as possible within game design/choice limitations.  The BMP-3K and BMP-2K are probably interchangeable in RL in this type of Russian formation.  As a result they are setup to be interchangeable in the game TOE (I'm not a Russian TOE expert).    

45 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

But, at the company level, everything is in grey. 

True.  The base TOE does not show the mixing of differently equipped companies within the battalion presumably because in RL most battalions, of this type, had the same BMPs in their companies.  For logistical, maintenance, training etc. this makes sense.  However, as a scenario designer or player you may want to have a mix of vehicles anyways.  This mixing is mostly possible, if that's what you want, by using the single vehicle purchase option and adding them where desired.  However the company & platoon HQ vehicles will stay true to the accurate TOE.  In some other TOEs the Bn. HQ vehicles will also not be changeable. 

If you're trying to make purchases for a head to head quick battle this may be a little frustrating since buying single vehicles and plugging them into a formation is generally more expensive than using the organic vehicles.  IIRC this is because each "Single Vehicle" you buy comes with a surcharge (maybe 15 points?).

Hope that answered the question. :)     

3 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

But, at the company level, everything is in grey.

bbwycm.png

You need to select the battalion formation itself, the top-level label "1st Tactical Group (Battalion [BMP])", not the individual vehicles. Then you'll be able to select which variants of BMP that the various sub-formations use.

Edited by Grey_Fox

So changing it at Btn level alters the base vehicle type for the whole formation. The US vehicles can only bring Bradleys, but individual vehicles can have different bits stuck on (ERA and APS).

The Russians have different base vehicles, which you can only change at Btn level (BMP-2, BMP-2M and BMP-3), but only the BMP-3M has any sub-variants with addons that you can change at individual vehicle level (ARENA, ERA, Shtora).

5 hours ago, Hapless said:

So changing it at Btn level alters the base vehicle type for the whole formation. The US vehicles can only bring Bradleys, but individual vehicles can have different bits stuck on (ERA and APS).

The Russians have different base vehicles, which you can only change at Btn level (BMP-2, BMP-2M and BMP-3), but only the BMP-3M has any sub-variants with addons that you can change at individual vehicle level (ARENA, ERA, Shtora).

Thanks, I see my mistake. There is a difference between vehicle type and vehicle variant.

Edited by ncc1701e