OT: Commodore 64 WWII game

Does anyone remember an old C64 game where you played as a WWII squad. The soldiers were simply numbers, and the germans were represented by X's. The map was simple line art.

I think you could play hotseat, with one player taking the Germans too... not positive.

Anyway, the other thread about ASL got me remembering this game. I played it often... it attempted to be fairly realistic for it's time. Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about???

------------------

"The truth was that the Germans were losing faster than the Allies could win." - A Bridge Too Far

Guest barrold713

Golly...going in the wayback machine for this. I had this game and the first thought that popped in my head was "Ambush" but I am not at all certain about this.

I remember it being a tense game and pretty fun but my memories from the mid-80's are a little fuzzy these days.

As we are already OT, anyone ever get a game called "Autoduel" by Origins (Lord Bullfrog?) to work on the Commodore. I had a C-128 and had lots of trouble with it but it was loads of fun when it worked. It was a associated with Steve Jackson's cool paper game series, "Car Wars". I wish there was a current computer version of this genre.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Guest KwazyDog

Yup, Id say Computer Ambush would be it. I remember reading the designers notes in that game, and all the things he has wanted to add but wasnt able to due to computer power of the day...

I wonder what ever happened to that guy, and if he went continued programming? smile.gif

It was indeed Computer Ambush! At least that sure sounds correct! That game was the CM of it's day, in my memory anyway.

Also, Yes, I did have Autoduel... a ton of fun back in the day!

How about ROAD WARS from SSI? Like autoduel, except MASSIVE car combat with tons of vehicles on each side, plus boarding rules! It was turned based, another difference from Autoduel.

------------------

"The truth was that the Germans were losing faster than the Allies could win." - A Bridge Too Far

Guest KwazyDog

Barrold, I had that one, it was a lot of fun. I also remember playing a game called RoadWar a heap, it was much the same. It was set after a nuclear war where you were starting up a road gang. You used to search through towns for suitable vehicles to add to your gang. Very cool

Hehe, those old days were fun, werent they smile.gif

Guest KwazyDog

ACtually, if I remember correctly Mr Clark, it was turn based *but* had simultaneous playback of the turn, didnt it? smile.gif

I remember setting the speed, etc of the vehcile before combat played, though I could be wrong, hehe...

You may be correct Kwazydog, as I seem to remember slamming my sports car into buildings often!

Remember, you started out as a lone man with a sports car, and soon had a huge fleet following you?! The scavenging was a blast, as you mention.

I remember that battles took a looooong time to play out.

Hey barrold713, I very much remember both Autoduel (on Apple and C-64) and Car Wars. The closest semi-recent computer game like that was the Interstate-76 series as far as I know. It was a pretty good game too.

I've thought that a computer "Car Wars" would be really cool as a persistant world massively multiplayer type game. Man, next to a computer version of Squad Leader (which thankfully we now have) this is my second most wanted game.

Car Wars was a fun game. I still have all the stuff for it, but haven't played it in ages. It was even played at some rather large game conventions with 3D arenas and small model cars. Those were the days...

Typhoon of Steel for the C64 was the best!

You could make your own battles with the editor that was included with it.

Didn't SSI put out an IBM version?

Sigh... wish CM would go with a Pacific version. Oh well, it's a blast like it is! Thanks BTS!! smile.gif

------------------

"Hey,Kenny. Whatever happened to Jody?"

Wow..takes me back to the days when a friend of mine in the mortar plt. showed me "Computer Ambush" on his C64. I was blown away, and spent many a morning trying to stay awake for first formation <g> It was the beginning of my computer gaming experience. Thanks for making me feel old gents biggrin.gif

How about the other games in the Typhoon of Steel series Panzerstrike and the modern version of I beleave it was called Overrun .I also rememeber the Road War sequal I beleave that was called Road War Europa .Those were the days it seemed ssi would come up with war games every month or so .

I agree with Computer Ambush being the CM of it's day. It tried to basically simulate what we are playing in CM. Just lacking the graphics. But it's amazing how cool something as simple as X's and O's as soldiers can be. Your brain takes over what your eyes can't see and those letters become desperate soldiers fighting for their lives. My brother used to rant and rave over that game.

Sometimes I miss those simpler gaming experiences. I'm glad I was around to have seen them. My brother and I always joke how his son will talk about how archiac Mortal Kombat was when he is older. I doubt he has ever seen a game of Pong!

And in another vein I have the original Car Wars and Truckstop boxed sets and all the add on packs from Steve Jackson Games. I never knew there was a computer version of this game.

Mord

Ah, the good ol' days. Still have all my C64 disks and docs in the garage, hehe. redface.gif

The thing I liked best about Computer Ambush was the laminated map and grease pencils. biggrin.gif

My favorite was Overrun!. I had about 20 disks of alternate OOBs I hacked with a hex editor. Next was Wasteland, a four floppy RPG. Must have finished it a dozen times just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Rounding out the top 3 is Roadwar 2000. The joys of feeding a full fleet of Trailer Trucks. biggrin.gif

The only thing I don't miss about my 64 was trying to keep the disk drive operational. eek.gif What a nightmare!

Just went to peruse my old stuff. I can't believe how many good games there were for the 64! If only the disk drive still worked... wink.gif