Master Toe (1914-17) German/Russian Imperial Armies

Artkin

This is a rudimentary version of WW1 forces. It's mostly correct with some abstractions. Both sides offer a somewhat balanced mix of forces.

From my FGM post:

I designed the Germans with the Kriegsmarine. So they are primarily rifle squads with a few scattered LMG's. The Squad leaders all have MP40s. The Germans generally have better and a little more plentiful MG's (MG34). They also have access to very powerful artillery... the 150mm on map howitzers. The TOE calls for 105mm, but they aren't available on map and are way lamer than the on map pieces. They also have access to medium and light mortars, when the latter are used correctly they are really devastating.

The Russians have slightly smaller infantry squads, but their troops have 2-3 automatic troops per 9 man rifle squads. They are 1-2 SMG and 1 DP trooper per squad. The platoons also have a sniper section. I cut out the SMG platoons that the companies came with, so each only has 2 platoons with 8 rifle squads total. The Russians have more battalions per regiment, better equipped squads (Historically inaccurate but I couldn't get them to be primarily rifles, Russians had significant rifle production issues.. And the partisans come with little ammunition so they were off the drawing board), and have access to powerful offmap 122mm howitzers. They have twice the amount of 76mm guns as the Germans but they don't have access to the on map artillery.

So each side has it's drawbacks. Each side could be a little more historically accurate. But this seems to be a fun balance between the two sides.
If anyone can dig up some TOE resources for either side that would be appreciated. It's near impossible to find any resources on WW1 that isn't in a book.

Gerarm.png

germdiv1917.jpg

Rusarm.png

RusCorps.jpg

Link: MASTER TOE -> CMRT -> "Master TOE WW1"

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6sd4yw8ckypk7ed/AAAc8MaHw6FsKM7aRmF7gXnja?dl=0

Sources:

German:

http://www.worldwar1.com/sfgermreorg.htm

Russian:

https://tmg110.tripod.com/rusaw1.htm

Edited by Artkin

29 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Interesting. Just reading a book in front of the fireplace about the fighting at the Eastern front in ww 1, thinking how neglected the fighting there is in history, but so much to learn from.

About 5 years ago, I got interested in the Russian Civil War and was amazed at who all was involved in that fighting. IMHO, it was really a continuation of WWI but inside Russia with many of the nations of that war involved in fighting against the Bolsheviks. Have learned a lot about that theater from that time frame.

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

Maybe I should look at using them for Barbarossa rifle squads IF THERE ARE NO PANZERFAUSTS... 

I think pretty much all the German infantry come with panzerfausts unfortunately. Good thing is they wont ever use them for this setting. Occasionally you'll have a trooper that walks around with the faust out instead of his primary though, and that's kind of annoying to see.

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Interesting. Just reading a book in front of the fireplace about the fighting at the Eastern front in ww 1, thinking how neglected the fighting there is in history, but so much to learn from.

Yeah it doesn't seem like much was documented on the internet about it. It was hard to pull TOE information so I'm sure the history is sparse too.

1 hour ago, Double Deuce said:

About 5 years ago, I got interested in the Russian Civil War and was amazed at who all was involved in that fighting. IMHO, it was really a continuation of WWI but inside Russia with many of the nations of that war involved in fighting against the Bolsheviks. Have learned a lot about that theater from that time frame.

Maybe this would be a good place for me to look in regards to better TOE information.

• 2 weeks later...