Black Sea 2.0

Kinophile

I'm dying for a revamp/second pass of BS. If SF can get a SF2 then surely...? :)

For me personally, the extensive difference in how the UA is structured, armed, lead and trained now (potentially in the near future) versus how it's depicted in BS is fascinating. 

It would make for a very interesting game - if the emphasis is on UKR rather than NATO.

By comparison, UKR in BS1 often feels like an afterthought, the barely functional little brother, but now we can see that they could inflict serious losses, forcing escalation and extending duration of a true state v. state war.

The BFG approach to BS1 narrative definitely fitted the framework detailed here:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/12/27/how-russia-decides-when-to-invade/

...and if we take the SF2 approach then a revamp, re-telling of the story in light of experience, real world events and shifts in technology could be fascinating. Drone swarms, anyone? I mean...bloody hell, we're IN the future now.

1 hour ago, Kinophile said:

I'm dying for a revamp/second pass of BS. If SF can get a SF2 then surely...? :)

For me personally, the extensive difference in how the UA is structured, armed, lead and trained now (potentially in the near future) versus how it's depicted in BS is fascinating. 

It would make for a very interesting game - if the emphasis is on UKR rather than NATO.

By comparison, UKR in BS1 often feels like an afterthought, the barely functional little brother, but now we can see that they could inflict serious losses, forcing escalation and extending duration of a true state v. state war.

The BFG approach to BS1 narrative definitely fitted the framework detailed here:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/12/27/how-russia-decides-when-to-invade/

...and if we take the SF2 approach then a revamp, re-telling of the story in light of experience, real world events and shifts in technology could be fascinating. Drone swarms, anyone? I mean...bloody hell, we're IN the future now.

Huge agree! A peer vs peer conflict without the US's overwhelming technological advantage sounds way more fun.

SF2 exists because the CM engine saw significant changes after the release of CMSF1. All of the other games saw updates with newer engines, except CMSF1 and CMA (which Battlefront doesn't have all of the rights to). With all of the module content that was created for CMSF1, it was decided to update the engine (and the models, scenarios and campaigns) to work with the newer engines. CMSF2 wasn't a rewrite of the game's storyline nor were there many equipment changes.

While a BS 2.0 that mimics the current conflict between Russia and Ukraine would be interesting, I highly doubt it would get made. To my knowledge CMSF2 was actually a bit of a pain to do since it required a lot more work than initially thought. I don't know if a module could be made for Black Sea, utilizing different dates, that would depict the current conflict or how it might progress from now. Strategically the conflict might seem a bit one-sided if it were strictly between Russia and Ukraine, though some combat at CM's level might be interesting (Javelins and suicide drones - if they could be modeled realistically).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

I'm reasonably certain that we won't see any anything CMBS related any time soon. The game was made before the war in Donbass started (at the time of its creation it was still purely a hypothetical conflict, with no signs of it being imminent), and I think that putting out any further content for the game, especially something which is based on the current state of the conflict, would be seen as EXTREMELY poor taste by BFC. Same reason why SF was never updated to include stuff from the Syrian civil war. Modeling hypothetical conflicts is interesting, but active ones get a bit sketchy.

5 hours ago, Kinophile said:

Drone swarms, anyone?

No drone swarms, but UKR forces can be bosted up to 2017 level from the current 2010 ;). 2018+ times is more complicated for modelling - there are not so much information about new Russian vehicles, sights, ammunitions, TO&E etc

Edited by Haiduk

To be clear, I'm not saying they should model the current conflict or strategic situation - instead incorporate the current and near future state of UKR forces onto the existing narrative. 

I suppose this could be done as a seperate module, updating UKR only.

This would serve to show their resilience, potential and adaptability, aspects which are not shown in the current OOB, accurate as it is to UKRs 2010 state.

Edited by Kinophile