SF2/CW Consistent Crashes

AngrySwan

Hello everyone! I wish I could have made a slightly less inauspicious first post, but unfortunately I've been pulling my hair out at this issue and was hoping someone would be able to help me.

I use a PC that runs Windows 10 (64 bit iirc) and a GeForce GTX 980 graphics card, for reference.

I've been having consistent crashes from my CM2 games that, for a while, I thought were tied to mods. I had not been dealing with crashes a few months ago, but suddenly they became overwhelmingly prevalent, and I am not sure why. However, I was able to secure a crash log for help.

CM Shock Force 2.exe
      5f038258
      nvoglv32.dll
      61a0f733
      c0000409
      00f27af8
      25bc
      01d7e7c4edf14bc7
      E:\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2\CM Shock Force 2.exe
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_642e50d7b66aa2a4\nvoglv32.dll
      e641de2f-883c-4339-bd13-fb0f01fdc037

The rest of the log notes that it is an "ApplicationError" with an Event ID of 1000. Please let me know what path forward I should take, I've been researching the forums for answers but all of the topics I've seen seem to be a few years old at this point and I'm not sure if I should trust their solutions (especially since one recommended downgrading to a driver version from several years ago...)

6 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Am sure someone here can interpret the above.  But, probably the first thing to do (if you haven't already) is do a complete uninstall and reinstall.  Also... perhaps install to the HD where one has the OS.

Hm, I'd not tried or thought of that as a solution. I may just have to take that approach, though I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

I've also been looking at older posts and recommendations to change 3D settings in order to get a fix. I'll post a link to the post below:

40 minutes ago, Zeb II said:

What drivers, Nvidia control panel settings and in-game settings are you using?

I am using the most recent driver, and I reset my control panel settings for managing 3D back to the recommended(? at least I assume that's what the nVidia eye next to an option means) selections.

In game I am running with both best texture and model quality, with antialiasing/multisample also on. However, I did turn off Shaders as that was what someone on another post reported as being a fix to the crashes. I am not able to investigate whether or not this is the silver bullet presently, but later tonight I'd like to check.

10 minutes ago, AngrySwan said:

With shaders off, I haven't had any crashes in a while.

The way to do it. Sample all suggestions and stick to the one what works. CM is not in the Windows Store and it is the only AP I have outside the Windows Store. All my other APPs don't crash, like photo editing and office. 

Edited by chuckdyke

Maybe your GPU is overheating?

Way back in 2003 I had a GPU overheating while playing Star Wars Galaxies, I noticed the problem only when I moved on from Tatooine to Corellia. From a planet with no water to a planet with rivers, the game didn't crash totally but it lagged a lot while trying to cross a river, turned out my GPU fan had died.

Okay, I just did a multi-hour session tonight. I think the shaders, somehow, someway, were causing the crashes.

54 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

Maybe your GPU is overheating?

Way back in 2003 I had a GPU overheating while playing Star Wars Galaxies, I noticed the problem only when I moved on from Tatooine to Corellia. From a planet with no water to a planet with rivers, the game didn't crash totally but it lagged a lot while trying to cross a river, turned out my GPU fan had died.

I am praying that this isn't the case, as my computer should have sufficient cooling. I am certain there was some kind of bad reaction with my graphics card, as the crash would completely blank my monitor for several seconds. Any programs open simultaneously would need to be restarted (or webpages needed to be refreshed), and even occasionally I observed screen tearing when scrolling on said webpages after recovering.

For the life of me, I don't know why the shaders were the problem... But I do want it at least set in stone somewhere in case it happens to someone else down the road that that was the silver bullet.

Actually, to that note, is there a way to get the attention of a moderator? I would like to change my first post to state my solution + change the title of the thread to show that it has been resolved/fixed.

Edited by AngrySwan

Shaders run on the GPU and CMx2 implements OpenGL in an oldschool way, so there is potential for weird interactions. Immediate mode instead of retained mode and some of the vertex and texture data for the UI is passed as quads, which is deprecated functionality. Depending on drivers etc. many GPUs seem to handle this without major issues, others don't. FXAA and Intel integrated GPUs are some examples where it doesn't work very well.

It could be a bug but it could also be cooling or VRAM related. Maybe taking a look GPU memtesting and temps. I don't want to be alarmist, but I had a GPU die recently and monitor going black, screen tearing and needing to refresh websites because VRAM went out under load were the exact symptoms I had before more serious artifacting appeared. And by the time there were serious artifacts on the screen, magic smoke was in the air. Same PID1000 general error on the same module, only it was followed by kernel exceptions. I would health check the GPU just to be sure.

Edited by Zeb II

4 hours ago, Zeb II said:

Shaders run on the GPU and CMx2 implements OpenGL in an oldschool way, so there is potential for weird interactions. Immediate mode instead of retained mode and some of the vertex and texture data for the UI is passed as quads, which is deprecated functionality. Depending on drivers etc. many GPUs seem to handle this without major issues, others don't. FXAA and Intel integrated GPUs are some examples where it doesn't work very well.

It could be a bug but it could also be cooling or VRAM related. Maybe taking a look GPU memtesting and temps. I don't want to be alarmist, but I had a GPU die recently and monitor going black, screen tearing and needing to refresh websites because VRAM went out under load were the exact symptoms I had before more serious artifacting appeared. And by the time there were serious artifacts on the screen, magic smoke was in the air. Same PID1000 general error on the same module, only it was followed by kernel exceptions. I would health check the GPU just to be sure.

I will be sure to do that. I'm praying it's not my graphics card dying - buying a new one in this market would be a nightmare, and I don't really have the means to afford a new one at present anyhow...

• 2 weeks later...