Does angling your tank slightly to the left or right increase your armor thickness?

Yup. I've seen an 88 round glance off the bow of a Sherman, but the hit angle was extreme in that case. It depends on the tank and it depends on the gun firing on it. If you're badly overmatched there's not much you can do. If the chance of penetration is marginal a little extra angle makes all the difference.

8 minutes ago, civdiv said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed, I did a quick search.

For a target in front of you, does angling your tank slightly to the left or right increase the effective thickness of your armor based on increasing the angle?

Yup. The model uses the actual angle of incidence when it calculates penetration. So changing your posture will increase both the slope and the actual thickness, which both contribute to defeating the penetrator.

I think that the hull of your tank stays put if you put a non-360 Target Arc on the unit. Obviously, this isn't going to be desirable in all cases, but if you're nicely keyholed, with good flank security, it might be a way of assuming the "dinner time" stance to the axis you're expecting the enemy to appear along :)

45 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Angling in the enemy direction increases the chance of a hit to the hull side, so armor-wise you're stealing from Peter to pay Paul.

There will be a mathematical optimization function to minimize the risk. Depends on ammunition fired of course.

It's probably only worth doing this on heavy tanks (thick side armor). A Panther runs into side penetration risk too early to bother with this.

Edited by Redwolf