Severe lag issues - Neuhof

Bagpipe

I am playing through my US 1979 campaign and upon reaching the Neuhof mission I can't continue due to the severe lag I am experiencing.

It glitches out for 30 seconds at a time and I am not exactly on a lightweight rig either to be honest. Ryzen 3700x, RTX2070s, 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ.

The only thing I can consider is the HDD install instead of SSD but surely that only affects load in times and not processing once map has loaded?

Anyways, Is this something which you folks simply live with or is this a CM:CW specific issue which will be addressed asap?

It is really concerning.

14 minutes ago, Codreanu said:

Is it during the setup phase? If the map has a really big setup zone and you point the camera at it it will demolish your FPS no matter your system for some reason, once you actually press start it should go away.

Yeah it is, though I cannot get my units deployed correctly before it hits this constant wall of lag. Absolutely terrible experience. I have been holding off on this mission until I was up for the challenge and now I can't play it 😕 Well I can but I have no idea if the default deployment is any good or not and I would rather not risk it.

I have even tried turning off trees, shadows and shaders etc. and still no good. The only thing I can think of is running it in 800x600 res lol

4 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

Yeah it is, though I cannot get my units deployed correctly before it hits this constant wall of lag. Absolutely terrible experience. I have been holding off on this mission until I was up for the challenge and now I can't play it 😕 Well I can but I have no idea if the default deployment is any good or not and I would rather not risk it.

I have even tried turning off trees, shadows and shaders etc. and still no good. The only thing I can think of is running it in 800x600 res lol

Dropping the resolution is worth a shot, I barely managed to make it work by facing the camera towards where the Soviets would be coming from and slowly deploying my units front to back to keep as little of my own setup zone in view as I could. Awful experience but it made it slightly more tolerable.

20 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

I really wish we could get to the bottom of this one.  It seems to be happening with few players but is still happening.  I built, tested and run that scenario on a whole lot less computer than yours (7th Gen i7, 1050GTX mobile, 16G RAM).  You should make sure that your graphics card is running the game and not the integrated chipset, that seems to happen the most often.  If that is not the case then you should definitely put in a support report to BFC or go to the Tech Support thread.  

11 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

Oh, and the default setup will get you through the scenario.  Not optimal in the least but you will be on a strong enough footing to win that scenario.  We would much prefer to get to the bottom of this (seemingly) random lag issue for some players though.

Well I checked my Nvidia CP and the program was not auto-detected in there so, while it was running on my gpu, it was most likely running on "Optimal Power" mode instead of "Prefer Optimal Performance" mode as per my NVCP defaults. Played with some settings in there but it is still lagging out. Have ensured it is in administrator mode too as an older post indicated this was an issue

Edited by Bagpipe

Also, looking at the NV performance overlay, gpu and cpu utilization barely go above 15% but fps swings anywhere from 95+ to as low as 10 or less in a matter of seconds.

Mainly when rotating camera up/down (ctrl + m.wheel)...

Looking up at skybox fps is 115 and render latency at 3.5ms but when you level it out and look straight ahead again it drops to 10fps and 50ms before creeping slowly back up into the 40's.

Not great, not sure if it is memory leaks or something?

Edited by Bagpipe

7 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

Also, looking at the NV performance overlay, gpu and cpu utilization barely go above 15% but fps swings anywhere from 95+ to as low as 10 or less in a matter of seconds.

Mainly when rotating camera up/down (ctrl + m.wheel)...

Looking up at skybox fps is 115 and render latency at 3.5ms but when you level it out and look straight ahead again it drops to 10fps and 50ms before creeping slowly back up into the 40's.

Not great, not sure if it is memory leaks or something?

The only other thing I have heard is AA as an issue for some.  You should definitely contact BFCElvis on this on the support thread.

Just now, The_Capt said:

The only other thing I have heard is AA as an issue for some.  You should definitely contact BFCElvis on this on the support thread.

Ok, I will continue playing about with different settings and see if i can get to the bottom of it and if not I will send him a DM asking to have a look.

Thanks you

Issue seems to be linked to the blue deployment zone texture and only lags when you are viewing it across an area wider than half of the map. If you pan at ground level from one side of the map toward the other, the lag ceases once you cross close to the centre line. Very odd

Issue seems to be linked to the blue deployment zone texture and only lags when you are viewing it across an area wider than half of the map. If you pan at ground level from one side of the map toward the other, the lag ceases once you cross close to the centre line. Very odd

Last item of note is that due to my switching to steam recently the game is running on Balanced settings and AA off which isway below what i can usually run the game at.

My norm is a tad below max settings for larger engagements

36 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

Last item of note is that due to my switching to steam recently the game is running on Balanced settings and AA off which isway below what i can usually run the game at.

My norm is a tad below max settings for larger engagements

Did you try turning them back on?  Maybe the GPU wants the work?  (What I don’t know about GPUs…)

1 minute ago, The_Capt said:

Did you try turning them back on?  Maybe the GPU wants the work?  (What I don’t know about GPUs…)

Yeah man, trying everything under the sun right now but no joy. It is something I have seen in other titles when there are a large amount of particles to render though in that case the gpu utilization is through the roof whereas here there is absolutely no pressure on my cpu OR gpu... really difficult to pin point

I play tested the '79 campaign and I do remember some issues with this one and the last one (is that Citadel), but once the setup zone was gone, things worked well enough. But I'm on a Mac, without a GPU (just integrated graphics) so I don't have any GPU hints for you.

But @The_Capt is right. I went with the defaults setup to see how things played out that way and did quite well the first time through. I think the only things I changed were some vehicles near some long low buildings near the bottom of the slag pile. But I really waited until turn 1 to move much of anything.

Citadel (if that's the name of the last one) the setup zone is monstrous and I pretty much gave up trying to reposition anything. The good news for both of those is that the default setup is pretty good and you won't be far wrong going with it. The enemy starts a long way off so you have time to react.

Dave

On 11/21/2021 at 3:22 PM, Bagpipe said:

If you're playing/launching via Steam, be sure to turn off the Steam overlay. That made a significant difference for me.

10 hours ago, panzerde said:

If you're playing/launching via Steam, be sure to turn off the Steam overlay. That made a significant difference for me.

ok will give that a try though IIRC it was an issue on standalone too. Thanks

EDIT: No unfortunately it is still as bad with or without the steam overlay. thanks anyway for the suggestion

Edited by Bagpipe

On 11/21/2021 at 10:21 PM, Bagpipe said:

Also loaded the largest battle, Rumpus something or whatever its called, and didn't have any issue on the large map. Much smaller deployment area though...

Close but no cigar - it is called something Rumpus - or more accurately Rumpenheim Rumpus - it is one of mine and I didn't know that it was the biggest one in the title.  I should stop overachieving 😉

47 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Close but no cigar - it is called something Rumpus - or more accurately Rumpenheim Rumpus - it is one of mine and I didn't know that it was the biggest one in the title.  I should stop overachieving 😉

lol certainly the largest standalone battle on the list...so far :P