Decompiling and reconstructing user created SF1 campaigns

I like to extend scenario time limits in campaigns which requires de-compiling campaigns with ScaneCade and recompiling them again with CombatMissionUniversalUtility after editing individual scenarios. However SF1 user created campaigns are incompatible with ScaneCade. Uncam de-compiles just the scenarios with some other basic info which is not enough to recompile again with CombatMissionUniversalUtility.

With the info and scenarios from Uncam and other info I can glean from www.combatmission.lesliesoftware.com regarding the campaigns I hope to construct the campaign again via the traditional way.

Reading the manual  I would need firstly to create a "core units file" which unfortunately is not supplied by Uncam. I suspect identifying core units would be possible by going through the units in the scenario editor for each scenario as the manual states core units have "unique identification numbers" and for any mention of units in the campaign description. Then creating the file....

Then there's the "campaign script file" but before going on I'd like to know whether it's even possible to succeed with this endeavor or could there be hurdles impossible to overcome?

Can't see why it wouldn't be doable.....The only place where you are probably guessing is the campaign script file, and perhaps the campaign tree if there is branching and optional scenarios.

Core Units are clearly marked in the editor in campaign scenarios (they have the word 'core' at the end of the line).

Thanks I'm experimenting with the "Guardians of the Homeland" campaign as it's 3 linear missions. I've created a "Core Units" file after identifying the core units from each individual scenario. I take it core units are only from the players side or does the AI have equivalent units?

Uncam provided the "campaign script file" 99% complete so that was easily filled.

Put everything together and the game spat out a cam file so I guess I'll play through the campaign, now with allotted time extended  and see if anything goes noticeably awry.

1 hour ago, AlanSA said:

I take it core units are only from the players side or does the AI have equivalent units?

That's up do the designer.....It is quite possible to create and utilise a double-sided core file in campaigns, (it's why the campaign script has resupply & reinforcement settings for both sides), several designers have done so in the past to create face-offs between units (with a supporting cast of non-core units).  It's an approach that has a lot of merit IMHO, but it does add another layer of complexity to your planning.

U2 means they are assigned to the opposing force as a Unit Objective. 

A* means the units in that formation are assigned to more than one AI Group.....If you expand the formations you'll see different units assigned to AI Groups 1-16.

A dual ended core is useful if you want to create a battle of attrition between two units over the course of several scenarios, I believe this has been its most common usage to date.....You can also use it to keep track of important characters on the opposing side, recurring villains and the like.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

That indicates that the units in that formation will arrive as several reinforcement waves.....If you expand the formation in the editor, you'll see that various units will be assigned codes R1-R7.

These tie in with the slots on the reinforcement tabs.....Probably worth consulting those before you delete any of the units, so you know all the correct timings.  I have a feeling that removing all units from a slot may cause the settings for that slot to reset to defaults (I'm almost sure it will if you save & exit).

PS - I'd be interested intrying your revised 'Guarddians'.....Do you have a link at all?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Of course reinforcements /facepalm.  The creators of the campaigns wouldn't appreciate me making my revised edits of their work  available without permission on the forum.  Suppose I could PM you directly though.

Seems I've come a cropper with my next attempt  "In Search of a Ghost". The Core unit is a 'Stryker Infantry MOUT battalion' but unfortunately a newly created "Stryker Infantry MOUT" Core unit file won't sync with the scenarios instead replacing the scenario units with the entire battalion from the core file. 

I suspect it's because the battalion from the campaign is a different TOE to the one in the editor now. For example the battalion in the campaign has no Headquarters Company but the current battalion in the editor does. There are other differences with mortars etc

The solution being to replace the units in each scenario as well and keeping it as close to the original as possible.

Edited by AlanSA

17 hours ago, AlanSA said:

The creators of the campaigns wouldn't appreciate me making my revised edits of their work  available without permission on the forum.  Suppose I could PM you directly though.

@Sergei is the creator of "Guardians of the Homeland", he's still around but I'd imagine he'd have no issue with an SF2 update.

"In Search of a Ghost" was made by @Webwing who, although no longer active, has given his blessings for updates (that's also why he packaged his campaign with the core file).

It should be noted, anything made with BFC's editors is actually owned by BFC, so there's absolutely no issue with updating old content (especially if it's from many years ago & the original content creator is no longer around)... although it is considered good form to give credit to the original work.