Berlin CMRT Map

1 minute ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Hehe, I would really be tempted to have a go at the bridge thing if there were a better way of raising them out of the ground. Your gate is the best working one for sure but if I can get this thing halfway working then maybe you'll have to retire it 😉

The bridge is ok as a stand in until your model is perfected... and yes I will gladly retire it to my temporary file on my desktop....lol :)

8 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yeah would be easy enough to add something, whether it's an extra object, like a single red brick, or something on the texture. I'd prefer the former as it's more accurate.

Yes, anyway... if it´s just a few of those very large FO concerned then the less effort, the better. The vast majority of small FO´s don´t need that helper.

Well whatever is going on it's not making any sense, a sandbag wall is a sandbag wall, I did nothing to it other than place it on the map expecting it to act as such - it didn't. I tried them on another map, Kubel went around as expected. What the engine/AI seems to do is decide okay on this map I can drive around the sandbags cos there's space, but on this map I can't SO I'LL DRIVE THROUGH THEM! What kind of decision making is that. Absolute tosh.

Would be cool if it would be that easy as it has some inherent logic, but as said....BFC does its more unique things usually.

💩 I won't crack anymore toilet jokes, suffice to say I'm glad we don't have smellivision yet.

I thought we already had outhouses. Or is it that you want this specific communal style. Now got me wondering if Berlin had any of those pissoirs the Parisians and Amsterdammers are so keen on. Would certainly add another kind of flavour.

hehe... was just a joke anyway. 😅 As said, was looking for something else on GdiR but stumbled upon this instead. 😆

Edited by RockinHarry

5 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Cool. That opens up some possible solutions that will give you a much more resilient BG and one that anyone else messing with it in their own maps can hopefully abuse to their heart's content.

I've come up with a pretty workable solution to the foundations for it which prevent vehicles passing though easily whilst giving pixeltruppen somewhere to call home but importantly no access to the central arches without a big pile of HE ...

K28WM4A.jpg

Once the buildings are in place it's then just a case of building up the gate on top, either as a single FO or combination of several parts ... or possibly six or seven parts depending on further tests with direct HE fire.

r7eyzOB.jpg

Foundation walls ...

JH0O72F.jpg

... buildings for added resilience ...

hb8J4Po.jpg

... FO over the buildings. This all takes a lot longer to write than it does to place the parts!

A few new skins for the various buildings and most of the look and functionality will be done, then it's a case of how I handle the BG FO itself, or it might become an existential part of one of the indi buildings if I can figure that out AND if it's worth the effort.

Cool solutions and couple new things for solving any similar issues and challenges. There´ll surely come more but our toolboxes fill up likewise. 😎 Only participant not helping on that is BFC...as usual. 😛

Anyway... looking forward to BG final and see it working in Berlin V2 (or V3 already?). 🤘

13 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Cool solutions and couple new things for solving any similar issues and challenges. There´ll surely come more but our toolboxes fill up likewise. 😎 Only participant not helping on that is BFC...as usual. 😛

Anyway... looking forward to BG final and see it working in Berlin V2 (or V3 already?). 🤘

I don't know why I hadn't tried this before with tall walls. It's not an absolute guarantee that one can keep the pixeltruppen out, if the wall is destroyed by HE fire they can still get in, or they can use breach charges to get in, but as a measure to stop defenders using it for cover or as an escape route it's ideal. The low wall are perfect for blocking most light vehicles. 

Now it's just a case of more testing, more texturing and we hopefully have a pretty reasonable, functioning model. 

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I don't know why I hadn't tried this before with tall walls. It's not an absolute guarantee that one can keep the pixeltruppen out, if the wall is destroyed by HE fire they can still get in, or they can use breach charges to get in, but as a measure to stop defenders using it for cover or as an escape route it's ideal. The low wall are perfect for blocking most light vehicles. 

Now it's just a case of more testing, more texturing and we hopefully have a pretty reasonable, functioning model. 

Cool we find working solutions for almost everything in the game. With bits of contemplation and effort, but we keep doing it. 🤘And that without any BFC support. Nice...

Progress on the Brandenburg Gate ...

cZTX8sB.jpg

Tested the roofless side temples and making the whole thing into a multi flavor object build - virtual lego! Works well, need to do some wall thickening around the roof supports and gables, as well as some slight repositioning of stuff so it's actually attached, not floating - there are small hidden gaps in the original model.

TUtIiFC.jpg

What's nice about this approach is that the model doesn't flick in and out of view so much since more of the mdr origins stay in frame for more of the time. Note also how the guard houses in the front temples can be properly enclosed with this method of building ...

bxzikDE.jpg

The two guard house temples at the front will probably be the same FO repeated, the two rear ones will be two unique FOs because it's obvious from archive photos how they were quite differently damaged from bombing. The main central support columns and walls, except for two, will all be one FO that can be repeated, the remaining two, which will be attached to the portico, will hopefully have some unique modelling for variety. If you want to start on some textures Nigel you could make the faces for the guard houses - I have used a part destroyed 5 storey modular single block for those.

On a different note and moving ahead a couple of decades ... this could go into CMCW ... anyone planning a Berlin Wall scenario set in the Cold War - bit of Harry Palmer action ... Checkpoint Charley and all that ... 

lUwADpN.jpg

Should I make the model now or wait for the call from BF? 😉

22 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Progress on the Brandenburg Gate ...

cZTX8sB.jpg

Tested the roofless side temples and making the whole thing into a multi flavor object build - virtual lego! Works well, need to do some wall thickening around the roof supports and gables, as well as some slight repositioning of stuff so it's actually attached, not floating - there are small hidden gaps in the original model.

TUtIiFC.jpg

What's nice about this approach is that the model doesn't flick in and out of view so much since more of the mdr origins stay in frame for more of the time. Note also how the guard houses in the front temples can be properly enclosed with this method of building ...

bxzikDE.jpg

The two guard house temples at the front will probably be the same FO repeated, the two rear ones will be two unique FOs because it's obvious from archive photos how they were quite differently damaged from bombing. The main central support columns and walls, except for two, will all be one FO that can be repeated, the remaining two, which will be attached to the portico, will hopefully have some unique modelling for variety. If you want to start on some textures Nigel you could make the faces for the guard houses - I have used a part destroyed 5 storey modular single block for those.

On a different note and moving ahead a couple of decades ... this could go into CMCW ... anyone planning a Berlin Wall scenario set in the Cold War - bit of Harry Palmer action ... Checkpoint Charley and all that ... 

lUwADpN.jpg

Should I make the model now or wait for the call from BF? 😉

love that virtual lego analogy. 😆 Great progress Mark! 😎 Nigel seems having some sleepless nights now while waiting for it to get finished. 😅 As well looking forward to see and playtest it then. 🤘

1 minute ago, RockinHarry said:

love that virtual lego analogy. 😆 Great progress Mark! 😎 Nigel seems having some sleepless nights now while waiting for it to get finished. 😅 As well looking forward to see and playtest it then. 🤘

LOL I hardly ever sleep at night I usually have about 4 hours in the early evening then a couple in between...been like that for ages... I feel like the living ****ing dead most of the time...lol

1 minute ago, NPye said:

LOL I hardly ever sleep at night I usually have about 4 hours in the early evening then a couple in between...been like that for ages... I feel like the living ****ing dead most of the time...lol

that sounds very very familiar to me. 😆 Nice thing when getting older, you need far less sleep than before. 🤪

9 hours ago, NPye said:

LOL NOW NOW NOW...looking awesome love the pillar on the ground..actually i love everything about it....

Great, that's what I like to hear. I'll test out blowin it up again then get on with finishing the model before we get into textures.

9 hours ago, NPye said:

Man I didn't realise the Wall was this close to the gate...awesome shot

I knew it was close but had never seen this shot until researching for the model. I think it was for Time. It's astonishing how much was bulldozed and eventually rebuilt, wouldn't know it walking about that area now.

9 hours ago, RockinHarry said:
9 hours ago, NPye said:

that sounds very very familiar to me. 😆 Nice thing when getting older, you need far less sleep than before. 🤪

Yep. Although I still like my sleep. My hours are just too messed up. Guess we're doomed if you listen to the health experts. 😵

12 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

If you want to start on some textures Nigel you could make the faces for the guard houses - I have used a part destroyed 5 storey modular single block for those.

Excellent will do... send over later... :):) :)

Edited by NPye

Here's the main Texture for the guards house??? Do you like???

RRZs07.png

On the modular builds you get 3 editable options, ground, middle and top, anything over 3 stories the game mechanics repeats the middle graphic, If this needs to functional then the windows and doors are placed whilst in the games editor, if it doesn't then I can place the windows and doors on the textures... but won't be functional????

BTW These colours fit perfectly in the games colour pallette, it probably was lighter but I like to keep the scinegy. Cheers Let me know. 

Edited by NPye

5 hours ago, NPye said:

On the modular builds you get 3 editable options, ground, middle and top, anything over 3 stories the game mechanics repeats the middle graphic, If this needs to functional then the windows and doors are placed whilst in the games editor, if it doesn't then I can place the windows and doors on the textures... but won't be functional????

BTW These colours fit perfectly in the games colour pallette, it probably was lighter but I like to keep the scinegy. Cheers Let me know. 

Yes thanks, that's the right kind of stone block work, great. Both guard houses were pretty much gutted by the time of the battle having been damaged by bombing and artillery, so they would have been pretty stained and pock marked on the outside.

Looking at archive photos the buildings actually seem to have only two floors, but to mimic that we would have to add extra flavor object skins to the outside since the ground floor looks taller than a regular level in CM. I don't mind that we have three floors with a reasonably well functioning building. I don't know enough about the modular buildings to say if you should add windows or not. The windows were quite simple looking, similar to those on the rebuilt version. Again, from archive images, there seem to have been windows on all sides with doors to front and rear as well as facing into the middle/Pariser Platz. The doors were bigger than the stock size but I don't think it matters too much. The front doors facing out onto Pariser Platz were not centred but offset to the left on the left block and right on the right block. If this means that the stock doorholes can't be used then probably best to just leave them centred.

I think the main thing is to get the look about right and not worry too much that the layout is a little different.

31 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Looking at archive photos the buildings actually seem to have only two floors, but to mimic that we would have to add extra flavor object skins to the outside since the ground floor looks taller than a regular level in CM. I don't mind that we have three floors with a reasonably well functioning building. I don't know enough about the modular buildings to say if you should add windows or not. The windows were quite simple looking, similar to those on the rebuilt version. Again, from archive images, there seem to have been windows on all sides with doors to front and rear as well as facing into the middle/Pariser Platz. The doors were bigger than the stock size but I don't think it matters too much. The front doors facing out onto Pariser Platz were not centred but offset to the left on the left block and right on the right block. If this means that the stock doorholes can't be used then probably best to just leave them centred.

Our floor depth is seriously lacking height expecilly on gov builds were the floors are x2 or x3 each what we have, that was another reason for my old build system... also the mod builds are the same on each face... I think we should make functional, ill add some bullets and shell holes.... BTW to keep tanks from the gate, you can use the heavy rubble, tanks cant go over that texture. Cheers

41 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

@NPye, @Lucky_Strike ...btw.. did you update to 2.12 yet? I seem to notice different than previous version infantry behaviors. Single soldiers maintaining better spacing and coordinated internal squad movements. Less bottleneck hold ups and such. Just in case I´m not hallucinating. 🤪 In any case something feels different with 2.12 now.

How do you get the update I paid and they sent link but it doesn't add anything????

10 minutes ago, NPye said:

How do you get the update I paid and they sent link but it doesn't add anything????

aahhh...my fault. You´re on MAC. BFC´s still working on MAC 2.12 patch IIRC. Shouldn´t take long I guess. Then if available grab from here, install and activate (BP1): https://battlefront.sharefile.com/share/view/s216b2ad387c543e7811ee38b4df26ef2/fo1537bb-8878-4e38-83e1-a2f372b86b08

3 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

aahhh...my fault. You´re on MAC. BFC´s still working on MAC 2.12 patch IIRC. Shouldn´t take long I guess. Then if available grab from here, install and activate (BP1): https://battlefront.sharefile.com/share/view/s216b2ad387c543e7811ee38b4df26ef2/fo1537bb-8878-4e38-83e1-a2f372b86b08

AAGGHHH PC Wankers always get special treatment...lol :( 

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yes thanks, that's the right kind of stone block work, great. Both guard houses were pretty much gutted by the time of the battle having been damaged by bombing and artillery, so they would have been pretty stained and pock marked on the outside.

I think the main thing is to get the look about right and not worry too much that the layout is a little different.

RRT3BM.jpeg

Non Functional with taller ground floor...

RRT4oQ.jpeg

Functional, windows added on editor...