Berlin CMRT Map

3 minutes ago, NPye said:

Cool I use the 7 story church tower, so the 8 story X2 is free, and as its a building you can add as many versions as you want just by correct numbering sequence. I have used the factory but could easily change that. Cheers bud really looking forward to the chimney....:)

Okay that's useful. Do you want the chimney to be something that is useable as a OP for an FO? Personally I think you might want the church tower to be used for something else (or part of something cough Brandenburg Gate wing?) I really don't know much about building so I need your guidance - can the church towers be butted up to any other types of buildings? Or must it always be used with a church. Similarly with the factory - can it be positioned so that it's right next to another large industrial type building? Can you cut out some tiny sections of maps to send me an example of where I could use the chimney etc?

42 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Okay that's useful. Do you want the chimney to be something that is useable as a OP for an FO? Personally I think you might want the church tower to be used for something else (or part of something cough Brandenburg Gate wing?) I really don't know much about building so I need your guidance - can the church towers be butted up to any other types of buildings? Or must it always be used with a church. Similarly with the factory - can it be positioned so that it's right next to another large industrial type building? Can you cut out some tiny sections of maps to send me an example of where I could use the chimney etc?

Yes for both but remember the Factory is defaulted to only being on a 45 degree angles X4...

What's this I read

(or part of something cough Brandenburg Gate wing?)

OMG dont say it's possible??????????

I don't use the Windmill and the Big Barns, or any of the shops and houses, as long as their Berlin mod tagged then it won't interfere with players other maps????

I wouldn\t mind it being a flavour only thing it must be visible at all times... and if possible the bricks in scale with the rest of the buildings... :)

Big Cheers bud

Edited by NPye

19 minutes ago, NPye said:

Yes for both but remember the Factory is defaulted to only being on a 45 degree angles X4...

What's this I read

(or part of something cough Brandenburg Gate wing?)

OMG dont say it's possible??????????

I don't use the Windmill and the Big Barns, or any of the shops and houses, as long as their Berlin mod tagged then it won't interfere with players other maps????

I wouldn\t mind it being a flavour only thing it must be visible at all times... and if possible the bricks in scale with the rest of the buildings... :)

Big Cheers bud

Hah, it might be, I am looking at a model that might work. It would probably need to be split into a minimum of three parts - which is why I need to know about what models can butt up to. It's so iconic and really missed, especially as backdrop for the fighting in the Tiergarten area involving Panzer-Division Müncheberg.

Two big barns and something in between might work. Obviously the barns would only offer their normal cover, but nethertheless it might work. 

18 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Two big barns and something in between might work. Obviously the barns would only offer their normal cover, but nethertheless it might work. 

Yep that would work . They can take a fair bit of trouble... Mate Can this happen??? I cant wait....Cheers

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Are you linking the textures correctly in Blender as I explained. You MUST link them else you'll always get black holes ...

This is what I am trying to do, I check your advices and compare with the menus, and check the result in CM, but I precise most of the time when I convert a dds or tga file to bmp, one day Lucky one day... 

JM

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I feel your pain but you need to find something other than GiMP to convert these files - ask kohlenklau or search his recent posts, he mentioned something else that should work.

ok I will check his thread about this but I want to show you something shortly I will delete the picture after !

Edited by JM Stuff

all the tech talk is waaaayyy over my pointy lil' head, but loving the results you guys are getting.  to be honest,  for me the game is largely about  (a) being able to better visualize and understand the wwii history that i read, and (b)  the screenshots- so the  mods you are coming up with , even the purely visual ones with no effect on game play, add immensely to my enjoyment of the game. anyone else's mileage may vary, of course.  

so,  thank you from a grateful  cm fan.

cheers,

rob

Edited by quakerparrot67

30 minutes ago, NPye said:

Yep that would work . They can take a fair bit of trouble... Mate Can this happen??? I cant wait....Cheers

This is the free model I've found:

VEcqFnn.jpg

It's quite well done, has good use of flat textures, nothing odd or procedural to convert. It opens in our version of Blender. The wireframe is nice and clean:

lfujsJ9.jpg

At the moment it's a bit too complex nearly 400,000 faces/ 200,000 triangles. However over 100K of those are just for the bronze statue on top. Applying a quick and dirty decimator modifier to the mesh gave me about 30,000 triangles - which is I think quite good - I've had trees with more!

nEyBAQO.jpg

You can see the model is starting to break down - some of the textures are stretching badly (notice on the columns) but not the worst I've seen, even compared to some BF stock models!

If I can break it down into component parts then the decimate process will give a better result. I doubt I can do much about stuff like pixeltruppen walking through walls or pillars but perhaps the side temples will operate if they are barns. Use ground textures to make a lot of it off limits and it might just work. It's gonna have to be a compromise at the end of the day, but as a backdrop it should work. And if folks don't like that fact that it's not useable well they are welcome to replace it with something else or talk to the 🤚

4 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

This is the free model I've found:

VEcqFnn.jpg

It's quite well done, has good use of flat textures, nothing odd or procedural to convert. It opens in our version of Blender. The wireframe is nice and clean:

lfujsJ9.jpg

At the moment it's a bit too complex nearly 400,000 faces/ 200,000 triangles. However over 100K of those are just for the bronze statue on top. Applying a quick and dirty decimator modifier to the mesh gave me about 30,000 triangles - which is I think quite good - I've had trees with more!

nEyBAQO.jpg

You can see the model is starting to break down - some of the textures are stretching badly (notice on the columns) but not the worst I've seen, even compared to some BF stock models!

If I can break it down into component parts then the decimate process will give a better result. I doubt I can do much about stuff like pixeltruppen walking through walls or pillars but perhaps the side temples will operate if they are barns. Use ground textures to make a lot of it off limits and it might just work. It's gonna have to be a compromise at the end of the day, but as a backdrop it should work. And if folks don't like that fact that it's not useable well they are welcome to replace it with something else or talk to the 🤚

Mate awesome, we can forgive a few strecthes and rember we ad stuff around it  to cover......

do you want me to test...lol. :) :) :) :)

6 minutes ago, quakerparrot67 said:

all the tech talk is waaaayyy over my pointy lil' head, but loving the results you guys are getting.  to be honest,  for me the game is largely about  (a) being able to better visualize and understand the wwii history that i read, and (b)  the screenshots- so the  mods you are coming up with , even the purely visual ones with no effect on game play, add immensely to my enjoyment of the game. anyone else's mileage may vary, of course.  

cheers,

rob

Thanks Rob your support is greatly appreciated.

This is one of the wonderful features of these games, how they appeal to all sorts for all different kinds of reasons. I totally empathise with your desire to take great photos in game - I've spent many hours just wondering maps do just that. I do understand that our mods may not appeal to everyone but nobody is forced to use them. If we can get this beauty into the game we are not only improving some folks' days but also learning in the process, which is no bad think.

17 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

ok I will check his thread about this but I want to show you something shortly I will delete the picture after !

I was checking many videos on the net and I never see the same menus so perhaps I have to activate a til or something elses here are the pictures to compare it
When I am in the menu  shading I see to another blender 2.79 a case to tip "textured solid" to me never appear this menu !

My blender I dont see the case with "textured solid " so perhaps is this that I can not apply ?

Is perhaps silly and a banality but to me doesn t work !

thanks to waste your time Lucky ! 

JM

JM that's not got anything to do with how your file is constructed, nor how the game handles your textures. Those settings are for how Blender displays and renders stuff (use tooltips to help understand what stuff i, I know they're not great and often obscure, but those items are clearly labelled rendering - we don't need to render anything). I have even less than you in that palette, definitely no textured solid. I think you need to focus on getting your textures right before you import them into Blender. If you're using external models then convert all textures to bmp and use those to replace the existing dds (what are these files!!!) or whatever. Practice on something simple first to understand the process. You need to look at these palettes as I've said before:

cflpP96.jpg

gmWl88w.jpg

And only watch training videos that are pertinent to 2.79 or earlier, the method is completely different in later Blender versions and will just confuse (tick as appropriate) annoy and confuse again.

BABY STEPS!!!!!

23 minutes ago, NPye said:

It will be a privilege old boy... that new script is a real game changer i feel, I had a closer look at the model and it looks great will texture up very well....Cheers :) 

The gate is a really good model for games, most were Photogrammetry and just bonkers complex. This one seems designed for games (modern games, LOL) so has good geometry for us to start with.

1 minute ago, Lucky_Strike said:

JM that's not got anything to do with how your file is constructed, nor how the game handles your textures. Those settings are for how Blender displays and renders stuff (use tooltips to help understand what stuff i, I know they're not great and often obscure, but those items are clearly labelled rendering - we don't need to render anything). I have even less than you in that palette, definitely no textured solid. I think you need to focus on getting your textures right before you import them into Blender. If you're using external models then convert all textures to bmp and use those to replace the existing dds (what are these files!!!) or whatever. Practice on something simple first to understand the process. You need to look at these palettes as I've said before:

cflpP96.jpg

gmWl88w.jpg

And only watch training videos that are pertinent to 2.79 or earlier, the method is completely different in later Blender versions and will just confuse (tick as appropriate) annoy and confuse again.

BABY STEPS!!!!!

Ok Lucky I will follow your advices and only for 2.79 is true that the new version are totally different. 

So I will delete this little text that have nothing to do with the thread.

thanks again to your help 

JM

9 hours ago, NPye said:

BTW utilised Aquilas tent, and made a Zeltbahn, added a Wehrmacht poncho texture (were they snack 4-5 together to make a tent), not sure for Berlin Mod but maybe good for Normandy????

RrESYr.png

RrE5pK.jpg

RrEy1c.jpg

Nice, but out of place for Berlin I´m afraid. I´d preserve some goodies once you´re finished with Berlin and hopefully you turn to something new again then maybe? 😎

Btw... I´d use these for maybe camoflaging combat positions or making a curtain for pillbox doors and such.

Edited by RockinHarry

5 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

But am very interested in the toy town factory. Not thinking the chimney needs to be anything more than a chimney ie doesn't need to be something that an FO can sit on top of, so the model I have would work quite well, scaled down a little. The main body of the factory looks a little small but I suppose it could be bolted to other industrial buildings to create a complex. Will need to go have a look at them on a map. Windmill's footprint is a bit too large for a chimney, though could integrate another structure (engine house) to fill out the footprint.

All good ideas! 😎 Yeah windmill footprint is too large at given size, yet I´s more thinking of a prototype and derive usefull stuff from it. I.e base shape, level construction (maybe "easier" to be figured out for indi builds first) and any META that might possibly help.

Yeah, as I said I'm not worried about it being multi-level. In RL one would have to scale it from the outside to get to the top as these things don't really have floors. It would be good if it could be occupied, though again it's not essential, rather if attached to a building then that building should work as normal. More important is to overcome the FOW issue.

I wouldn´t exclude working levels yet. One could possibly use max supported level structure and make the "roof" part extraordinarily "tall" maybe. It would still be a great vantage point at level 7 or 8 ( level x 2.5m = y). One could also place it on raised (ditch locked) terrain tile thus squeezing out couple more meters maybe. One could at least test if a confined space supports any ptrooper occupations at all. An inner space diameter of say 2-3m should be minimum, but who knows. Think FOW issues only apply to "vehicle" type classes, like pillboxes is. For building types it might be "just" some required META adaptions to be made (I hope).

I recall seeing this. I wonder now with the ability to easily copy metadata if a house to be given the donated metadata of a bunker ...? It should be fairly trivial to remodel the bunkers to look better, retaining their volume and other characteristics whilst giving them a new skin.

Could try but I believe it´s rather hard coded data and thus non available to our modding attempts. So pillbox vehicle class data to building terrain object class.... 😐

It should be fairly trivial to remodel the bunkers to look better, retaining their volume and other characteristics whilst giving them a new skin. I've been pondering making them into more embedded emplacements, so that they blend better with the landscape. Adding some external earthwork and covering their roofs with soil and vegetation. With ethe way they already work with a ditch it would certainly improve how they look. If you can resolve the wormhole effect with your metadata tweak they would look great.  

From my experience every model mesh changes need beeing adapted in META as well (bounding/hit boxes etc). So not quite so trivial as long as META keeps its secrets I guess.

Outside "extras" (like terrain blending envelope and flavors/doodads) should be less of an issue, maybe depending who´s the parent and what to put in META (or leave it all at zero). Can´t tell yet if there´s a solution for wormhole effect. Maybe I/we´ll find something, but could also be it remains an "either or". I personally can live with my "or" since it´s what I´s looking for and now know how to deal with the worms (shielding 0,0,0). Hopefully we get it all done before BFC strikes with a new game engine. lol 😅

Edited by RockinHarry

4 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yes definitely a good addition to BN - goddamnit I wish we had proper slit trenches and foxholes, a few of these over a slit trench would really work a treat. 

CM trench and FH object types are really strange ones. They´re not "vehicle" like pillboxes but neither pure terrain object types. Odd mix of both but IMO largely non working bad compromise. Ah and yes.... these sandbagged wooden frame structures and mole hills look like crap as well. 🙄 Whoever invented these doesn´t get a beer from me. 😛😅

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

do a google search on free (and legit) Photoshop CS2 (as of 2005). It works fine on Win10 and does the purpose on BMP 32Bit file type well! 😎 I grabbed mine here (german language text only, but PS version is any language) https://www.chip.de/downloads/Photoshop-CS2-kostenlos-Vollversion_59762951.html

2 hours ago, quakerparrot67 said:

cheers,

rob

Feel free to tell of your own ideas and lil inspirations. 😎 Who knows... maybe they turn to something usable enhancing your and our personal game play. Or join the fun (and somewhat painful) Blender learning experience as we do now. 🤪 The more brains that got involved with this, the better.