Plotting Tactics.

I don't like that my glorious tank-riders are shot to pieces whilst on the T34 (Or Lend & Lease Shermans). That is not how we see it in the documentaries. If you are to approach a danger-zone, give the units a mounting order on 'Quick'. Give the tank-unit a 'Slow' move order 1 or 2 hexes in front. On the end of a turn, they are still together.

advancee.png

advanceB.png

advanceC.png

If you move your armour to close to an unsuppresed enemy with tank riders still on the decks you should see some pretty heavy casualties i belive.

Especially if they get targeted by somewhat flanking fire...Not much cover up there.

Wasn't that one of the germans main goal in defence...? To try and strip the tanks from their infantry using mortars and machineguns etc..

Atleast in some of the more common youtube clips i have seen with tankriders the russians don't neccesarely seem to be all that close to the enemy and some clips might be from more or less pure propaganda movies...

The area has already been crossed by scout cars. You have 45 minutes for this scenario, and we need to move. I don't think the enemy is there, but we don't know for sure. I just want to share how you move infantry together with tanks. A shame you can't do this in BN. You win any battle if you separate infantry from their armor. This is open terrain and I just give my infantry an embark order with a moving tank they go to the last waypoint of the tank. It is a little like follow a unit. 

Edited by chuckdyke

Might be useful in certain situations but i think the standard commands combined with the pause function works good enough...

In many situations where i want to lead with my infantry i want to keep them at atleast panzer faust distance both to the front and to the side of the tanks if at all possible and not right on top of them.

21 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

to the side of the tanks if at all possible and not right on top of them.

They can't go on the top of the tanks as the tanks are moving. They are doing exactly what you want them to do. You plot the embark order, but it is impossible for them to embark as the tank is moving. It is more follow that tank, I use smoke if I approach an area with plenty of cover and concealment. That's great about the Sherman they have smoke shells T34's and IS2 don't. Just try it, put an AFV 1 or 2 hexes in front of an infantry unit. Plot a move order for the AFV now plot an embark order for the infantry unit. Use it for large open spaces when you can't afford to lose time. The infantry stays with the tank without mounting the vehicle. 

There should be longer than 45 minutes, if that's the first Soviet campaign scenario. Should be 1:20, or something. Double check that you have the patch, I had to fix one or two times and it should be in there.

The "group move" at the start is a great time for setting formations. If you can do a setup zone, you can position everyone then give the orders. I use that for the bigger first moves stuff, then expand out as chaos ensues.

Hulldown.png

8 hours ago, benpark said:

There should be longer than 45 minutes,

Yes, on mine scenario it is 45 minutes I have 33 minutes left and my first units have crossed the river. I use this maneuver when I have a possible DZ. I hate to start all over again. The Lend & Lease Shermans are the key for this they have smoke to deal with the obvious DZ on the other side of the river. 

Edited by chuckdyke
graphics

9 hours ago, benpark said:

There should be longer than 45 minutes

Yes, I just updated it. Not a big deal for some but it is the first time ever I patched something. This gives me an extra 35 minute and I start from scratch. Thank you very much for your advice. Kind regards. 

Good to know that you updated it and gave scenario more time.

Returning to the issiue of tank riders - one of the puzzling things is why the soldiers on tank don't jump from it under heavy fire, especially if the tank doesn't move. The whole group could be whiped out by enemy fire while pixeltruppen are  calmly sitting on the armor. 

2 hours ago, dbsapp said:

one of the puzzling things is why the soldiers on tank don't jump from it under heavy fire,

You have open danger zones and linear danger zones. You don't wait for the enemy to open up on you. Dismount at the last feature between your unit and the danger zone. Which I call DZ linear is LDZ. I just shared the tactic to cross a DZ with limited time. Give a unit a move order at a moving tank and he will follow that tank without embarking. Use Slow, Move or Fast. Infantry on Quick keep pace with a tank on slow. But you can use a combination, example: Let a tank move fast at a place where the infantry can safely mount the vehicle. Give another tank a 'Hunt' command and this tank will stop to engage and hopefully protects the infantry crossing the DZ. The reason you don't give an embark order at a 'Hunting Tank'. They will embark during a firefight between two tanks. I think this game intent is to teach the player the correct tactics. Use maneuver instead of attrition seems to be the guideline. Example a squad of 'Crack Troops' vs a 'Green Squad'. The Green Squad has 2 troopers left in panic mode. Who has won? The Green Squad TBH. The Unit of Crack Troops are out of ammunition, Green Troops are a lot cheaper and there are more of them as a rule. Enjoy the game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good things in older games you can use them for testing of tactics. See or real-world tactics will work in Gog and Magog. Here the MG42 in HMG mode.

This weapon on a Tripod becomes a different weapon than the MG42 on a Bipod. On the Tripod its function is not on Platoon level but Company Level. Maybe you use it differently it is just to suggest some ideas. Background of Gog and Magog, Tiger2's are committed and took fire from the treeline. The follow up infantry platoon made a full contact with a 76.2mm ATG. Now I positioned a Section of MG42's from among the wheatfield. His contact icon was passed on through the C2 network and his Platoon commander sees the sandbags but not the ATG itself. The Platoon HQ has plotted a Mortar Area Fire in the vicinity A platoon of Panzer 4 is on standby near the infantry platoon. They wait for an update of the Soviet positions.

The MG42 is concealed but has no hard cover, will fire from a defilade position once the mortar strike comes in. 

MG42.jpg

The range is a little over the effective range for this weapon(800-1000meters). The idea is to suppress at this range this weapon will strike with a plunging effect of I estimate at 80⁰ to compliment the area fire of the mortars. 

MG42B.jpg

Using the C2 the platoon of Panzer4's will be updated with the intel of the infantry platoon. 

MG43C.jpg

On 5/26/2021 at 11:22 AM, dbsapp said:

one of the puzzling things is why the soldiers on tank don't jump from it under heavy fire

The tank must have a full contact before it stops. You better give the tank riders a disembark order otherwise they stay on the tank. Better don't have them on a tank in a DZ.

Getting Ugly entering last stage of the Battle we have 1 hour and 7 minutes left. German Armor, well they make no sense at this stage right place but pointing in the wrong direction. The river is an obstacle for my armor but not the infantry. Establish firing positions from my side of the river. Company HQ responsible for the execution.

We don't have a topographic map but use the cover-arc tool instead. Areas not covered are areas of interest.

Ugly.jpg

Few areas at the wheatfield which conceals my position. Distance is just about perfect for plunging fire on the objective. The rooftop of the building will provide some decent cover.

UglyA.jpg

Company HQ Team will advance to this position. His security platoon will secure the area first. The other 2 platoons will infiltrate across the river. We have an eye on his Panthers see what their plan is. 

UglyB.jpg

1 minute ago, chuckdyke said:

The underrated US 60 mm mortar. It lets you plot direct fire at places where you don't have an LOS

That is an xnt tactical point.  On-map mortars and FO's (not sure about on-map guns) appear to have LOS/LOF to locations that normal inf do not have LOS to and cannot fire at - ie: several meters further and also beyond low obstructions.    

12 minutes ago, Erwin said:

xnt tactical point.

Lots of players are overlooking this. I just went to FB and to the scenario where I used this tactic successfully. This elevation is higher than the unit. His HQ has an LOS and I wonder or there is a correlation. I hardly ever use the 60mm indirectly, the official call for indirect fire sounds silly if his HQ is standing next to him.  The FO makes sense too he has a map and doesn't need to see his area target. There are more generic issues at play here, I think. 

Edited by chuckdyke

Russian infantry tactics get inside 100mtrs ASAP. The Germans are no match against a dedicated Russian assault. 

Attack & Assault for me Attack is the onset, and the Assault is the conclusion. Seizing a farm complex intel a contact icon.

Assault.jpg

Attack with hand grenades. Split an assault-team from a squad. They will use grenades during the assault drill. Next to the building and plot a LOF inside.

AssaultB.jpg

AssaultC.jpg

Secure the building. Note their squad gave covering firing at the upper floor. Sometimes the ground floor is the fallback position of the defender.

AssaultD.jpg