Barbed Wire & Infantry

I've been searching the manual and the forum for info on movement through barbed wire for infantry units. I'm certain it's there somewhere but for whatever reason I can't find it. I did see in the manual where it says that it will slow down, but not stop an infantry unit, so does that mean you simply plot movements across it and eventually they will get across? I'm assuming it does slow them down (at least) quite significantly (this will get ugly in the scenario I'm designing now ;) ). Thanks for the help.

hmm, good question. I am not sure infantry will move through barbed wires. As I recall, when you give them a movement order over the wire, they either try to go around it or just cancel the order.

I usually just blast a hole through it using engineers or a tracked vehicle.

edit. - yes, the manual is not well worded. Infantry cannot move directly through barbed wire.

Edited by Sgt Joch

21 hours ago, Canuck21 said:

I've been searching the manual and the forum for info on movement through barbed wire for infantry units. 

Boots and wheels will not go through barbwire.  This can create an interesting problem for wheeled recon units.  Boots & wheels may attempt to go around if there is an opening or end close by.  If it is not close they will cancel the movement order.  Tracked vehicles will crush the wire and go through.  However the tracks will take cumulative damage every time they crush wire resulting in movement penalties for the vehicle. 

Barbwire can also be assigned an AI group so the location of the barbwire changes with the AI plan.  Below is a screenshot from the CMCW scenario Kriegsburg.  The barbwire (and mines) change location depending on the AI plan. 

Barbwire provides a lot of interesting scenario design possibilities.    

YBOTyhYh.jpg

Very interesting! I didn't realize it could be a group in the AI. I do still have wire in my scenario, but it's staggered so as to somewhat route the enemy, so it's still working for me. However, knowing the above adds a new dimension to my future scenarios. Thanks very much for explaining this. It sure does help :) .