Fire & Rubble editor questions

Finally!
The past couple of weeks since the release of F&R I have been quite immersed in the editor, trying to see how I could put all the features to good use when creating maps.

And at long last I managed to find the new Factory building that we had been promised before the module was released. Rigth when I was beginning to suspect that it didn´t actually exist at all.

But it was there, as the last of the commercial buildings - and is surely looking mighty fine (and in all modesty I suspect that it has at least partly been inspired by my own factory mod, based on a church building?).

factory.jpg?dl=1

But my discovery of the Factory also lead to a series of questions about buildings in general in the editor. Like for instance:

Why can we only place the factory building diagonally?

edittor.jpg?dl=1

And the next question:

Why cant we place the windmills - or any of the "other" buildings diagonally?

not%20diagonal.jpg?dl=1

Is there a reason for this
- or is it simply an oversight (bug) that will be fixed in a coming patch?

...and speaking of patches:

It seems to me that there is a couple of texture errors in the factory.

Like these details:
texture.jpg?dl=1

And is the roof supposed to look like this - or is the texture missing? (all pics are RT 2.11 - no mods)

roof.jpg?dl=1

A bit too thin and short chimney, exhaust pipe, to look good as a factory.

Why can we only place the factory building diagonally?

It would be good if we could turn the houses around and place them in the direction we want, whether it's east or south or northeast or southwest, for example.

Edited by BornGinger

That darned factory model is the closest thing I've ever seen to being 'cursed'. I mean it sincerely. Its been fixed and refixed  and adjusted and readjusted, reworked and re-reworked. And the model looks as wrong as it ever did. Multiple very smart people have had their hands on that model, believed they've finally fixed it, only to be thwarted. I could show you screenshots of the building looking exactly right just a couple days before release. To say this is perplexing is an understatement. Literal nothing else in any of the titles behaves remotely like this.

Edited by MikeyD

The Berlin maps were started not long after CMRT, and that required some urban-type additions. This factory was suggested for the breweries in Berlin, but can be any factory of course. The request was made in the original set of asks, and this building was a good candidate, being the largest (it had to fit the footprint of an existing one).

We often have stuff in development for years, only to see someone catch on to a similar thread through modding the game. I remember giving you advice for your own urban mod years ago - that was based on stuff that I was doing for Berlin in the background, even way back then. There's always some ideas cooking. Some more cutting-room experiment stuff may get released here and there if it won't be used elsewhere.

I have logged these factory bugs a few times now, they seem to like to stick. The texture issue will be looked at again. As Mike added, it is something that seems to like to keep popping up. The diagonal issue has to do with the building models, according to Cassio. The ones from MG are similar, in that I believe. That positioning seems to be fixed in place, unfortunately. You can see me work my way through that limitation by mixing in modular and commercial types in the maps that have a lot of structures.

Thanks for the reply. I really like that factory and I think it is a building type there is a real need for in CM. That is why I had hoped for a building with more placement options.

9 hours ago, benpark said:

The diagonal issue has to do with the building models, according to Cassio. The ones from MG are similar, in that I believe. That positioning seems to be fixed in place, unfortunately. You can see me work my way through that limitation by mixing in modular and commercial types in the maps that have a lot of structures.

I guess that the inability to have certain buildings turned 45 degrees has something to do with how the buildings are placed on the action spots? A pity it is so, but as you say - we´ll just have to work around it. The texture issues are no game breakers to me. I just thought I´d make you aware of them.

9 hours ago, benpark said:

The Berlin maps were started not long after CMRT, and that required some urban-type additions.

Wow! I knew they must have taken a long time to make, because they are truly incredible (Love the map in Night at the Opera) But that sure is a long time.

I know - wish the diagonals were in myself, but we got in as much as we could reasonably get.

Here's what I did have reinforced by your particular work - that CM does have a fairly viable way to depict urban combat, particularly in the hands of inventive types. The maps, and elements on them contribute to that, and give a sense of place.

Of course - a "Clear" command, or some other type would be even better, but improvements happen in increments.