FR Broken Shield campaign 2nd mission - my god is it difficult..

SDG

Dunno if others are also having trouble with this one, but it gives me flashbacks to the last missions of KG Peiper, where I am slogging through heavy urban/forested terrain in the darkness, while getting smg-d and artied to death.

I have just captured Kistarján and already taken like 20%+ casualties (it also doesnt help that the HE of the German 75 mm tank/spg guns is pretty anemic..).

Let me know how are you faring..

Tarjan. The German campaign will be on the tough side - it's 1945, after all - but hopefully it will enjoyable to fight through these actions. General advice- Don't spread your forces- there won't be enough for wide offensives, in the main. Choose your routes to focus your attacking power on discrete objectives, and use the small farms and villages as your defensive positions, where available. On the positive side (somewhat), you will be breaking out of the woods soon enough to the plains to the west of Budapest- tank country.

I do have two alternate versions of the longer campaigns with extra time added ready to go - which is directed at people that prefer to play campaigns once, at a slower pace - I just need a place to upload 'em. It's 20+ minutes added to some, more to others, variable time added where appropriate (I always try to err on the side of more variety).

The AI is designed with this adaptation largely in mind. These campaigns are made to be replayed, with as much variation in AI plans as possible. Also note that replays should not always yield the same results, AT guns may be in other positions, etc.

The AI is the thing we want people fighting - not the time, in the main. Time is part of it, but only part. The AI will pull off some surprises on its own, now.

35 minutes ago, benpark said:

Tarjan. The German campaign will be on the tough side - it's 1945, after all - but hopefully it will enjoyable to fight through these actions. General advice- Don't spread your forces- there won't be enough for wide offensives, in the main. Choose your routes to focus your attacking power on discrete objectives, and use the small farms and villages as your defensive positions, where available. On the positive side (somewhat), you will be breaking out of the woods soon enough to the plains to the west of Budapest- tank country.

I do have two alternate versions of the longer campaigns with extra time added ready to go - which is directed at people that prefer to play campaigns once, at a slower pace - I just need a place to upload 'em. It's 20+ minutes added to some, more to others, variable time added where appropriate (I always try to err on the side of more variety).

The AI is designed with this adaptation largely in mind. These campaigns are made to be replayed, with as much variation in AI plans as possible. Also note that replays should not always yield the same results, AT guns may be in other positions, etc.

The AI is the thing we want people fighting - not the time, in the main. Time is part of it, but only part. The AI will pull off some surprises on its own, now.

Thanks for the reply/advice benpark!

I cannot comment on replayability, as I dont like restarting missions (nor "savescumming"). The best thing for me is to dive into the unknown, not being sure whether I can just zip through parts of the map or I have to fight through it etc.

I have one question though.

How does the AI artillery work? I presume it is not cheating but man it feels like that it has the all seeing eye of Sauron.. Enemy mortars (?) have been following my troops ever since I left the cover of the forest. Always using short barrages and decimating my infantry. I presume there is an arty spotter somewhere that keeps refocusing the fire mission?

(Oh and one other thing. The houses.. It is possibly confirmation bias, but all the windows seem to be looking "my direction", while having just walls on the other side. This means that it very difficult to establish a good base of fire as I cannot use the captured building as "jump off points" to support further advance as there are no windos overlooking the "other side".)

I guess 

1 hour ago, SDG said:

How does the AI artillery work?

They are calling that in themselves (!)- I don't have any extra set AI fire-plan, but if I recall they may have a spotter. Moving into town may alleviate that, depending on where the spotter gets placed by the multiple AI Plans.

1 hour ago, SDG said:

all the windows seem to be looking "my direction"

That's maybe due to the barns behind the houses - they have less windows. Not intended to frustrate, only to correctly depict the town as best able from the maps and research I have- many outbuildings.

I mainly stay away from going into buildings in contested areas until I know what's in the row behind. I generally stack a team/squad behind the structures, using them defensively until I can get mass. The Face command at the building corner is good for using the corner peeking.

Thanks for the feedback!

yes, AI artillery works the same as for the player, so any unit that has line of sight and can call in artillery may or will. For the Soviets, only FOs can call in the heavy stuff, but pretty much any HQ unit can call in mortars.

The AI is very good and quick at calling in artillery, so act as if you were playing a human: don't bunch up your troops, don't linger in LOS too long and if you see a random spotting shot falling nearby, you can be sure a barrage is not far behind.

Edited by Sgt Joch

8 hours ago, benpark said:

Hi Benpark,  Would it be possible for you to post the modified campaign files to the Scenario Depot or even a dropbox link?  I, for one, desperately could use more time in the scenarios.  I seem to be very, very, efficient at finding the shortest path to total defeat and my Pixeltruppen are threatening to "frag" someone... 

17 hours ago, SDG said:

have one question though.

How does the AI artillery work? I presume it is not cheating but man it feels like that it has the all seeing eye of Sauron.. 

Do you play on "basic training" difficulty level? 

Sounds like you do.