kohlenklau's CM Modding Blender adventure

@kohlenklau have some question for you. I´m just about messing with some the US M10 tank destroyers textures but got a problem with wheels. It seems normal 24 Bit format (no alpha mask), but after saving my edits it all gets messed up in game. Seems UV map assignment got harmed in a way. So if it´s not an alpha mask, is it kind of color coded or something else? 🤔 Thanks in advance. 😎

Edit: might have figured it out now. When saving in GIMP I likely got to deactivate some color compatibility (color space something) option for 24Bit BMP files.

Edited by RockinHarry

8 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Edit: might have figured it out now. When saving in GIMP I likely got to deactivate some color compatibility (color space something) option for 24Bit BMP files.

oh, a GIMP issue? I was thinking it was a Blender issue. This thread is about Blender stuff! 🙂

BUT!!!!!  GIMP for me never saves a bmp properly for some reason. It will show up as blackety black coal tar black in the game. So my SOP is to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS open the new BMP in Paint.NET and just save it again. Somehow that extra step makes it all good.

THE CSABA:

I will be looking for a CM water cooled MG to import into Blender and "strip it down" by deleting most of the 3D model. I just want the barrel and muzzle. Then I will import my Csaba 3D model. Then I join the 2 by making that water cooled barrel a child of the parent Csaba. Delete what is not needed and rename things as required.

5 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

oh, a GIMP issue? I was thinking it was a Blender issue. This thread is about Blender stuff! 🙂

BUT!!!!!  GIMP for me never saves a bmp properly for some reason. It will show up as blackety black coal tar black in the game. So my SOP is to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS open the new BMP in Paint.NET and just save it again. Somehow that extra step makes it all good.

Yup, wrong type or missing alpha masks that don´t get saved is usual cause of this. That exotic 32 Bit BMP file format that BFC decided to use. I got to install free Photoshop CS2 for these cases explicitely. In Gimp I edit "normal" 24Bit BMP files only.

Work on the Hungarian Csaba Armored Car presses forward...

Hatches? Hatches? We ain't got no hatches. We don't need no stinkin' hatches!

I am renaming hatches to get the behavior I desire.

Some hatches on "open up" will move.

Other hatches only move on bail out.

The direction and degrees of movement is coded. You can change the object by renaming. You can also move the position of movement, the "hinge" location.

5 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Work on the Hungarian Csaba Armored Car presses forward...

Hatches? Hatches? We ain't got no hatches. We don't need no stinkin' hatches!

I am renaming hatches to get the behavior I desire.

Some hatches on "open up" will move.

Other hatches only move on bail out.

The direction and degrees of movement is coded. You can change the object by renaming. You can also move the position of movement, the "hinge" location.

Hatches, hatches ... hehe 

Hmm, 🧐 where do you find the movement for hatches? I thought it might be an action spot but couldn't find one on the Panzer IV which I was modding to a static bunker. The commander's hatch (they all do in fact) did some strange acrobatics even though I never touched it. I found out it was swinging off at 180º and disappearing several metres below the model, under ground! By trial and error I got it moving in a better direction so it, at least, remains attached to the cupola albeit on the side rather than in its original position on the back.

5 hours ago, ViperAssassin26 said:

Would anyone be able to do TACP helmets? Those are the helmets typically used by special operators and Rangers. I have a ranger mod I want to get to everyone. im just missing that piece to the puzzle

Yes. Sorry to be this way but the anyone is you most likely. I recommend you tackle learning Blender if you want that item. It is maybe a day or 2 of learning...

Once you do that helmet, you'll be skilled to make other stuff you want.

Try on your own and folks can lend a hand.

Give a man a fish you feed him for a day but teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Edited by kohlenklau

8 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Each hatch has an origin symbol, a white circle with 3D red blue and green coordinate arrows. Over on the left you can relocate it.

Thanks, that's what I ended up messing with but I think all the extra stuff in the model must have created a glitch somewhere even though I was very careful not to move any of the original stuff til I got it working as desired. Ho hum.