kohlenklau's CM Modding Blender adventure

20 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Okay, how long did it take you to figure out how to even get started. I watched part of one tutorial and was lost pretty quickly. 

OK, don't worry about all those tutorials. It is overload! Like that 1000 piece "Mechanics tool set" Martha and your son wanted to buy you and all you wanted was the basic set of sockets and a few other items for a road trip emergency tool kit... 

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

BLENDER TEST IDIOT'S LOG:

4/5/21:

A. I had tried to use Blender to create from scratch a "teller mine 35" but was unsuccessful. It appeared in the game but something was wrong with the UV mapping/mesh/image.

B. I instead went the route of hamburger helper or instant mashed potatoes by using the game's flavor objects. I picked the humble fuel drum. The one that is sober and standing up proud, not the drunken on its side one. 

C. I was successful and there is obvious room to improve the model and the image but this is what I have right now. Modtagged [teller35]. With Juju's UI mod as well.

5IFInHB.png

...more to come... 

Looks really nice, Phil. 👍
Basically like flattening an empty beer can, right? Bet you had lots of practice ;)

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

My brain hurts!

The skull can no longer support the growth once you start with this stuff. It's all jars from here on out.

Here's mine, for reference:

92ba82be4fc7eede29b2567bc01890c9.jpg.87daaa7ca82f2b86c1ac4912eda79416.jpg

Wait until you find "Extrude" (from Faces)!

Edited by benpark

Never listen to me but, I am always right on the forum, when I say something, also when I stay most of the time in darkness with my solo talk... ! And repeat again!

...and soon this forum will change to be a blender room.

Edited by JM Stuff

I also found that it’s definitely easier to repurpose models that already exist. Tried to make a new tree once but no matter what, I couldn’t get the damned thing to export properly, they always ended up either not working, or appearing in game but floating somewhere off map in the dead zone.

8 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Then sometimes to the left of that you have the "UV image editor". I am reading this Blender stuff and all along I am reading UV and thinking UV, like the sun, something about lighting maybe? No, it is just new coordinates system in 2D for the bmp images we have always slaved over. It is UV (u,v) since x,y, and z are all taken. It is pretty cool.

Now I know something new ... thanks. I also thought this was something to do with lighting, so I ignored it rather than RTFM.

8 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

B.My brain hurts!

More of this to come ...

4/11/2021

I am working to improve @JM Stuff's Romanian M39 helmet. It would be nice if some of the helmets in the game could show the old King Carol "medallion"...I figured out that I have to do the unwrap of the model in a different way versus the way the German helmet was unwrapped. I had to designate what edges were "seams" for the unwrapping of the model. Then you do the artwork to have the unwrapped pieces "uv islands" they are called, be in the right spots. The uv islands can be moved around to make better sense on the bmp image, they can be scaled and rotated also. There must be another Blender command that I do not know so I can take the uv islands and put them along the edge of the bmp...

IBZA9KZ.png

wQqSmGb.png

It is so blurry and I am unsure why. I will take the image and try to redo it EXTERNAL from Blender and then reload. Then try it in the game...

Edited by kohlenklau

3 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

4/11/2021

I am working to improve @JM Stuff's Romanian M39 helmet. It would be nice if some of the helmets in the game could show the old King Carol "medallion"...I figured out that I have to do the unwrap of the model in a different way versus the way the German helmet was unwrapped. I had to designate what edges were "seams" for the unwrapping of the model. Then you do the artwork to have the unwrapped pieces "uv islands" they are called, be in the right spots. The uv islands can be moved around to make better sense on the bmp image, they can be scaled and rotated also. There must be another Blender command that I do not know so I can take the uv islands and put them along the edge of the bmp...

IBZA9KZ.png

wQqSmGb.png

It is so blurry and I am unsure why. I will take the image and try to redo it EXTERNAL from Blender and then reload. Then try it in the game...

Woaww the Rom have now emblem, I couldn't do it or not so perfect, very nice the  Kohlmethode, so now, every helmet will have emblems, also the Umlaut Danish ones soon.

4/16/2021

I am working on a secret mod for the new CMFI Crete 1941 mini-mod and some of my object's "faces" were not appearing in the game. Mesh-Normals-Flip normals did the trick.

And I finally figured out how to do the uv layout export. In the UV/Image Editor window, down at the UVs tab, then select Export UV Layout but the 3D window has to be in Edit Mode. Once you get that exported, you load it as a layer into GiMP/etc. Then it reminds me a little of "paint by the numbers" or kindergarten coloring books.  No more guessing where the image ends.

Edited by kohlenklau

2 useful blender tips for face normals:

Before you're done with a mesh, do Shift-N to make all the normals match. It'll probably guess right the first time.

In the Solid view mode, enable face normals so you'll see which way they're pointed. Do that every now and then, and do it right after you do a Shift-N. You'll either see a mesh that's fuzzy with little blue hairs, or you won't. If you don't, do Shift-N again.

4/26/2021

As I said before, I am working on a secret mod for the new CMFI Crete 1941 mini-mod. It appears in the game in exact dimensions from a Luftwaffe drawing. But it seems to be too shiny and odd in the CM world. 

Now I gotta mess with the material properties and my Blender Coach kindly pointed me towards the "node editor". 

Here is the cockpit of your 747!!!

BZNo6pv.png

Edited by kohlenklau