Need help on deciding which upgrade patches to buy and if I even should?

FrostWave

I have red thunder and was planning on buying the patch 4 upgrade but confused and need some help. First I was gonna buy the upgrade patch pack for 25 for when I pick up some of the other titles but I hear now that if I was to buy the other titles they are already at engine 4 so should I just buy the 10 dollar single patch for RT?

Also if I buy the fire and rubble expansion when it comes out will that already upgrade my game to use engine 4 or will I still need the patch upgrade for 4 as well as the expansion? Thanks in advance for help with those questions

I think you have to buy engine 4 update for RT to be able to install Fire and Rubble module.

If we look at Rome to Victory module for Fortress Italy it says this:

A licensed version of Combat Mission Fortress Italy Base Game with Game Engine 4 v2.10 is required for Rome to Victory. No other Modules or Packs are required, however Gustav Line Module is recommended. IMPORTANT: There is no download for this module.

If you own no other CM titles I think the best options is the single engine 4 update for Red Thunder as new purchases of the base games today is already with engine 4 update, at least that's what I can tell from Battlefront's shop regarding for example Battle for Normandy and Fortress Italy.

If you can stick it out until the Steam version of Red Thunder is released (unknown time frame 6-12 months), you get it for free I think when you register your key on Steam / Matrix. This happened with Black Sea recently. Anyone who had Black Sea Engine 3 could register their key and download it in Steam and play version 4. The paid patch thing is probably too clumsy a system for Steam, with all the additional modules too. Steam just wants up-to-date core games and DLC's.

Edited by Jace11

On 1/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, Jace11 said:

If you can stick it out until the Steam version of Red Thunder is released (unknown time frame 6-12 months), you get it for free I think when you register your key on Steam / Matrix. This happened with Black Sea recently. Anyone who had Black Sea Engine 3 could register their key and download it in Steam and play version 4. The paid patch thing is probably too clumsy a system for Steam, with all the additional modules too. Steam just wants up-to-date core games and DLC's.

This happened with Black Sea because there was no way around it in the short timeframe that we had. Assume that what happened with Black Sea will be the exception and not the norm. Will it work out that way or not? Hard to tell at the moment. The next title slated for Steam is CMBN. I don't think there is a firm date for CMRT on Steam yet but if someone wants to see if they can save 10 bucks by waiting until it is on Steam that's their call. I spent $9.61 on 2 cookies and 2 bownies at Chick-fil-a last night. 🙂 

And yes, as rathdeath said, having a Game Engine 4 version of Red Thunder is required for Fire and Rubble.

7 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

if someone wants to see if they can save 10 bucks by waiting until it is on Steam that's their call. I spent $9.61 on 2 cookies and 2 bownies at Chick-fil-a last night.

I would agree, and now I've heard of Chick-fil-a.  I must get out more, but not just at the moment.

21 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

This happened with Black Sea because there was no way around it in the short timeframe that we had. Assume that what happened with Black Sea will be the exception and not the norm. Will it work out that way or not? Hard to tell at the moment. The next title slated for Steam is CMBN. I don't think there is a firm date for CMRT on Steam yet but if someone wants to see if they can save 10 bucks by waiting until it is on Steam that's their call. I spent $9.61 on 2 cookies and 2 bownies at Chick-fil-a last night. 🙂 

And yes, as rathdeath said, having a Game Engine 4 version of Red Thunder is required for Fire and Rubble.

I.e., the V4 is not included in Fire&Rubble?

1 minute ago, StieliAlpha said:

I.e., the V4 is not included in Fire&Rubble?

Correct. You have to have Game Engine 4 for Fire and Rubble but it is not included in Fire and Rubble. Just like Rome to Victory. Game Engine 2 was required for the Market Garden module back in the day, when Game Engine 2 was the newest. And Game Engine 3 was required for the CMBN Battle Pack and Vehicle Packs. And Game Engine 4 was required for the CMBS Battle Pack. The new modules and Packs are built using the most recent game engines. 

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Correct. You have to have Game Engine 4 for Fire and Rubble but it is not included in Fire and Rubble. Just like Rome to Victory. Game Engine 2 was required for the Market Garden module back in the day, when Game Engine 2 was the newest. And Game Engine 3 was required for the CMBN Battle Pack and Vehicle Packs. And Game Engine 4 was required for the CMBS Battle Pack. The new modules and Packs are built using the most recent game engines. 

Ah, sorry, my mistake. I mixed up Game Engine 4  and Version 2 once again. All clear now.