BMP 2 has NO night vision capability??

SDG

Struggling through the (otherwise lovely) Hasrabit campaign and noticed a weird thing.

During mission 3, I was supposed to conduct a defense and fight against BMP 1s in a night battle.

My troops are mostly crack and equipped with BMP 2s. Should be easy, right?

WRONG..

My BMP 2s got obliterated by their last gen predecessors because they were unable to get any spots.

After that, I did some very basic research and was shocked that a buttoned up BMP 1 can almost immediately spot a BMP 2, while the BMP 2 could not see the other IFV even if i left it there for 10 turns.

Bug? WAD? Am I doing something wrong?

I presume its becuase of the gunner being able to man the AT4, which has some kind of a night vision? (On the other hand, the BMP 2 should have IR optics which - seemingly - does jack sh*t).

https://ibb.co/mJTzJb0

https://ibb.co/4YK9qvh

Edited by SDG

Interesting, the BMP-2 should have some IR optics, which also show in the game (although no FLIR I think). Not sure if the BMP-1  even has outdated IR optics. 

Of course everything changes when fire is opened, because muzzle flashes are perfectly visible without IR optics.

If the BMP 1 is buttoned, then neither of them can see anyhting.

The minute i pop up with the gunner the mount the AT 4, the BMP 1 can spot the other IFV in 20 seconds, while the BMP 2 is only able to spot the other vehicle if the engagement is still underway (muzzle flashes etc.)

In real world night vision of BMP-1/2 is very symbolycal. The commander of both vehicles has TKN-3B night vision sight (opical-electonic amplifier) wich use IR projector for highlighting the target. The "tank" type target can be detected from 300 m in front projection and 400 m to side projection in conditions of transparent athmosphere and not full darkness

The gunner of BMP-1 has 1PN22M2 sight, fixed with the gun, with night vision capability also not far from 400 m.

The gunner of BMP-2 has BPK-1-42 (on early models) or BPK-2-42 (on later models) sight, fixed with the gun, which maintains 400/800 m and 650/900 m "tank" type target detection in passive/active modes. 

ATGM on the top hasn't any night sights.  

Edited by Haiduk

• 3 years later...

I don't trust anything in the Syrian arsenal to reliably spot anything at night other than the T-72 Turms-T, T-90 and AT-14 (Kornet). The AT-13 can do ok night spotting, but it doesn't have thermals despite what the manual says, just regular night vision.