Have you ever ... had a T62 kill an Abrams from the front and yet fail to destroy a Stryker from the rear?

THH149

Yep, happened in Following the Euphrates.

A T62 reinforcement landed on map and promptly destroyed an Abrams at front left hull, tick one burning wreck.

Next turn a different T62 had a Stryker drive passed it from the Crossroads up the hill road towards Militia HQ just as the T62 was reversing into a defilade position - not need to turn turret or hull and easily spotted at 50mtrs or so. The T62 gets a partial penetration on the rear of the Stryker and .... it just keeps moving up the hill.  The T62 later gets clobbered by artillery, tick another burning wreck.

We ceasedfire after 35mins - we gave the US a minor victory - as the system wasn't recognising touch objectives when US vehicles touched the militia buildings. US lost 2 Abrams overall.

G-Man

Edited by THH149

• THH149 changed the title to Have you ever ... had a T62 kill an Abrams from the front and yet fail to destroy a Stryker from the rear?
On 11/16/2020 at 7:24 PM, THH149 said:

A T62 reinforcement landed on map and promptly destroyed an Abrams at front left hull, tick one burning wreck.

I have seen that, although in my experience, if you check carefully, you will probably see that the shell entered the tank from the side. Abrams are tough in front, but weak on the sides and rear, even a lowly RPG can kill an Abrams with a side shot.

I've had a RPG hit a LEO 2's driver's hatch, wound the driver and force the crew to bail.

If I remember correctly, a 115mm APFSDS can do about 0.5 m RHE at 2km. I can imagine it'd do damage to an M1's front hull , at point blank -- especially if it hit a weak spot or lower glacis.

It probably went straight through a Stryker's rear without bouncing about and just left two shiney new pistol ports.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:06 AM, Sgt Joch said:

I have seen that, although in my experience, if you check carefully, you will probably see that the shell entered the tank from the side. Abrams are tough in front, but weak on the sides and rear, even a lowly RPG can kill an Abrams with a side shot.

Actually, that was the case here, after a very close review, I saw that it was left side very forward hull.