Next Final Blitzkrieg Module Speculation

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I have a copy of the Whitaker's book about this battle. It's about thirty years old and the pages are turning brown, but I'll have to read it again sometime.

Yes, it is now 20 years I read George Blackburn: Guns of Victory and Whitakers Rhineland. For all interested, there are some very interesting threads about the ´45 Rhineland campaign on the WW2Talk board. Enjoy!

RHINE CROSSING 1945: The Rees bridgehead (30 Corps in operation 'Turnscrew') | WW2Talk

On 11/23/2020 at 11:21 PM, MikeyD said:

Remagen bridge scenario, the tunnel entrance is RIGHT THERE. No avoiding it. Maybe they're going to be 'remarkably clever' and find a way to include it, or maybe they're going to cut the map right at the tunnel entrance. I know 'important people' want to see the bridge but it may be more trouble than its worth.

bridge tunnel.jpg

Come to think of it, a 'Railway Tunnel' tile/building/whatever would make a great addition to the editor.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

23 hours ago, DesertFox said:

Blockbuster.jpg

It´s part of "The Victory Campaign" to be found for free here: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/official-military-history-lineages/official-histories/book-1960-army-ww2-3.html

Direct link to the PDF

A fairly good part of Op. Veritable/Blockbuster is to be found and dealt with in there. Use it myself for basic, as well as some more detailed planning of related CMBN(FB) missions. This is also well supplemented with Whitaker´s Rhineland book. From german POV there´s comparably little, but I´ve various divisional histories (Lehr, 116th Pz.) and some scattered info on german Paras fighting in this campaign. Enough for some well founded scenario making I believe. So whenever that module is released, I feel prepared.🍻

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Exit zone on the tile itself, spawn units on the tiles just in front.....It's as close as we can get right now.

Which won't cut it for a scenario in which both sides need to be playable - Battlefront either solves the problem of a proper tunnel that behaves like a tunnel or there will be no Remagen Bridge scenario.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:22 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Why wouldn't it cut it?  Troops appearing one tile from a tunnel entrance is no different to them appearing one tile from a map edge IMHO.

Look at the image of the tunnel - the German defender is bound to want to stick an anti-tank gun or a Stug in that tunnel and you can see that at least one and possibly 2 AS's into the tunnel, any gun/Stug can zap anything on the bridge.  The player wanting to do this cannot do so with some flipping convoluted bone spawning/exit zone workaround.  Conversely any allied player putting fire down on the tunnel entrance is going to be pretty urinated off if a German unit spawns there two minutes after the bombardment finishes.  There comes a time when you have to accept that there is stuff that can't be done in the editor or that any workarounds are just a bit sh1t really - this is one of them.