Next Final Blitzkrieg Module Speculation

It's been confirmed that Battlefront will create a module that covers the final months of the war on the western front. I think a Remagen bridge campaign is already pretty likely. That or the Americans at the Ruhr Pocket. My number one hope would be adding the Free French Forces with more assets at their disposal. I'd love to see a French campaign for the Colmar Pocket. Brits/Canadians in Northern Germany would also be cool. I'm not sure what a German Campaign would be... perhaps a desperate defense with ad hoc formations? [Paderborn comes to mind.]

It would even be wild to see the 101st capture Hitler's Eagle's nest but I'm not sure how much actual combat took place there.

22 hours ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

It's been confirmed that Battlefront will create a module that covers the final months of the war on the western front. I think a Remagen bridge campaign is already pretty likely. That or the Americans at the Ruhr Pocket. My number one hope would be adding the Free French Forces with more assets at their disposal. I'd love to see a French campaign for the Colmar Pocket. Brits/Canadians in Northern Germany would also be cool. I'm not sure what a German Campaign would be... perhaps a desperate defense with ad hoc formations? [Paderborn comes to mind.]

It would even be wild to see the 101st capture Hitler's Eagle's nest but I'm not sure how much actual combat took place there.

The honking great tunnel on the sausage side of the river will put the dampeners to that aspiration.

Well the latest Fortress Italy Module didn't even have a German campaign, likely because there weren't many interesting offensive battles this late. Maybe it will be the same here. On the Eastern Front at least you had the offensives in Hungary, but on the Western front not much was going on after Nordwind.

12 hours ago, Ts4EVER said:

Not sure, I don't think defensive missions are necessarily a strength of this system.

True...but if any one will be able to do it it ought to be BFC...They have the required amount of playtesters atleast.

It will be a nice challange for them 😁...

Being able to play a defensive campaign for a change would be intresting...

Well that accelerated. Let's talk about the game instead. 

There are some defensive missions on the German Campaign "A Moment in Time" in CMBN that I enjoyed. There's one where you defend a bridge with inferior Kriegsmarine troops against paratroopers. It's at night, so they just rush the bridge with SMG's. I also recall some huge scenarios of CMFI where you defend from a massive German counter-attack at Anzio. Can't recall which one specifically but taking out their tigers was pretty challenging with only m4 Shermans. I think a German defensive campaign could be done right with a couple of small counterattacks added.

In an offense mission, the Player can rush or take it slow. In a defense mission, the pacing of the gameplay is entirely up to the scenario's designer. Defense missions must take extra effort to set up AI plans and such. Maybe that's why we see less of them?

I did enjoy the defense missions in Combat Mission: Afghanistan -- they felt very thematic. CM:SF2 Highland Games also had a very fun mission, where you hold off a Soviet-style mechanized assault. With QBs, it varies widely from "too intense" to "waste of time".

Edited by DerKommissar

48 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

Defense missions must take extra effort to set up AI plans and such. Maybe that's why we see less of them?

Most likely...it is far, far  more difficult for a number of reasons to design a player defensive mission.

Many would say...close to impossible ! with the tools currently avaliable in the editor. 

One thing is for sure...playtesting and tweaking will be massive..and it really requires very good understanding of the ins and outs of the editor to even have a chans of pulling it off...

• 4 weeks later...

Remagen bridge scenario, the tunnel entrance is RIGHT THERE. No avoiding it. Maybe they're going to be 'remarkably clever' and find a way to include it, or maybe they're going to cut the map right at the tunnel entrance. I know 'important people' want to see the bridge but it may be more trouble than its worth.

bridge tunnel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 8:42 PM, Anonymous_Jonze said:

... perhaps a desperate defense with ad hoc formations? [Paderborn comes to mind.]

Yep, coming from that region, I would love to see a TF Welborn scenario. As I recall, this was the last larger tank engagement of the war and therefore certainly is some sort of „milestone“. There were one or two scenario attempts for CMx1, but they were not very convincing.

Otherwise, I remember a pretty good Northeim campaign for CMx1, which I would love to play with CMFB.

And the Harz should offer room for small scale actions in extremely difficult terrain.

Edited by StieliAlpha

On 10/18/2020 at 6:36 PM, Combatintman said:

The honking great tunnel on the sausage side of the river will put the dampeners to that aspiration.

Maybe embed a bridge & a couple of single tile buildings into the terrain and use it as a spawn/exit-zone location (I've done something similar to this with the subway tunnels in some of my Trumpton experiments).....It's about as close as we can get.

10 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yep, coming from that region, I would love to see a TF Welborn scenario. As I recall, this was the last larger tank engagement of the war and therefore certainly is some sort of „milestone“. There were one or two scenario attempts for CMx1, but they were not very convincing.

Otherwise, I remember a pretty good Northeim campaign for CMx1, which I would love to play with CMFB.

And the Harz should offer room for small scale actions in extremely difficult terrain.

I hiked the Harz a couple of years back and was surprised how rugged they were! Especially in the Northern German plain.

5 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

@DesertFoxSomething you are working on? Or just wishing for?

I am wishing for it. I hope at least parts of it are being realized in the next module. Good scenario could be Hochwald Gap,  Canadian Heroes - Private Loren Nelson - Battle of the Hochwald and of course all the Reichswald action. Maybe we´ll see the CW module 44/45 in 2022? I hope so.