Editor building orientation

I'm in the progress of trying to make a bastogne map for CMFB. Bastogne's main road is offset 40° from North so I'm making the map at a 45 degree angle to have North in the correct direction. However I have now run into issues with the buildings. Not all building types are available in 45° orientation. Like all church parts only exists in 0°. Several modular buildings also lack 45° orientation and I feel I need those building types for more historical accuracy. I don't understand how several building types don't exist at 45° orientation with how limited the rotation is for buildings. It seems backwards to map making to not have all options in all possible orientations. This is most likey a problem with all CM games and I can't imagine it beeing much issue to fix this. Just make all buildings available in 0 and 45° with a patch or something.

I understand your frustration.

The editor is pretty amazing, but the more you get into it, the more you wish it could do lots of other things. I'd love to see more variety in most of the constructions (different buildings, fences and so on), roads and fences with curves and different angles, more control over water, etc etc etc.

But having said that, it's still a pretty fabulous tool, one which greatly expands the playing possibilities of the game.

it isn't a question of making all available in different angles.  It would mean creating new buildings for the angles.  The editor doesn't rotate them... though one wishes it could.  It isn't an issue top "fix" so much as a request for additional content and buildings are a particular pain to do as I understand it.  

This is part of the pain of map making.  You need to think about orientation before doing your map.  Not just a matter of buildings but also to avoid zig zag roads.  Part of the reason I am not really into trying to do historical locations.  It is fun to try, but also inherently frustrating. Major rationale of why I am doing Sadr city for SF2- the place is a bunch of perfect grids.

My pet peeve is railroads.  I'd really love being able to do a more gradual curve.

Edited by sburke

I rotated the map so the main road is pointing straight north. Makes the process easier and I now have access to most buildings, will just have to accept that true north is 45° to the west aka northwest.

Edited by RobZ

9 hours ago, sburke said:

it isn't a question of making all available in different angles.  It would mean creating new buildings for the angles.  The editor doesn't rotate them... though one wishes it could.  It isn't an issue top "fix" so much as a request for additional content and buildings are a particular pain to do as I understand it.  

This is part of the pain of map making.  You need to think about orientation before doing your map.  Not just a matter of buildings but also to avoid zig zag roads.  Part of the reason I am not really into trying to do historical locations.  It is fun to try, but also inherently frustrating. Major rationale of why I am doing Sadr city for SF2- the place is a bunch of perfect grids.

My pet peeve is railroads.  I'd really love being able to do a more gradual curve.

We will see how my railroad will look, bastogne has a railroad and it doesn't go perfectly straight lol.

Yeah I was doing a map for market garden using The gamers Screaming Eagles for an op layer scenario generator. The map is centered on Veghel. There is of course an elevated rail line and I have not really been able to get either the RR or the roads to my satisfaction much less the town itself. And that map is flat. Start doing elevation stuff and I’d rip out what little hair I have left.