King Tigers in Paris (Summer 1944)

I'm not sure of arrangements for train transport by the German's, whether the tank crews would have been in a passenger carriage, or on a completely different train altogether. I know von Rosen's tank got taken out in an attack by Thunderbolts. I'd interested to know how he survived the journey.

If my memory serves me right - according to his book they got into the Tank during the attack - then they tried to drive the tank off of the flatbed because of nearby fires but it slipped off. So it had to be cleared away from the track after the attack and they then also realized then it has also sustained some damage from the attack. He then went to get a recovery vehicle but it took too long so they never recovered it.

D

1 hour ago, Peachy said:

If my memory serves me right - according to his book they got into the Tank during the attack - then they tried to drive the tank off of the flatbed because of nearby fires but it slipped off. So it had to be cleared away from the track after the attack and they then also realized then it has also sustained some damage from the attack. He then went to get a recovery vehicle but it took too long so they never recovered it.

Thanks for the additional info.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, Peachy said:

Your memory serves you well.

PS - I recommend Von Rosen's memoir as he was a keen amateur photographer and consequently it is illustrated like no other 'Panzer Ace' type memoir that I can immediately think of.....Also he doesn't strike as a terribly ardent nazi, which is nice.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead