[scenario] Karapulka's crossing

Zveroboy1

Karapulka's crossing

i6Icqtm.png

At first I thought I'd simply add this map to the other thread I created but I had already made a small scenario for it a couple of years ago. So I tried to flesh out a bit and decided to post it here instead.

It is a small platoon sized engagement taking place in february 2015 between DNR separatists and Ukrainian forces defending a ford over a small stream.

It is supposed to take place during the siege of Debaltseve. It is fictional even though the general context and the operational situation are both historical. The direction of the thrust is more or less accurate from what I could gather, even if it maybe didn't take place in this exact location but farther to the north-west.  This particular engagement is purely made up though. The terrain looked interesting so I decided to map it for fun.

I used the Russian names for places like Debaltsevo and Uglegorsk in the briefing and for the landmarks because it is supposed to be from the pro-Russian separatist side but it doesn't reflect my political views. It is purely for immersion and roleplay purposes.

A bunch of pics of the map :

qiM2qeF.png

lqNgmh7.png

It is a blue on blue fight and you should download Sir Lancelot's pro-Russian separatist skins. The first link in that thread is down but scroll down a bit and there is a working one.

I tested it 3-4 times versus the AI but the balance is probably a tad off. So any feedback is welcome. And there are no AI plans for the attacker. You the player must pick the attacker and let the AI defend.

Installation :

Unrar in my documents/Battlefront/Combat Mission/Black Sea/Game files/Scenarios

Download :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdw4k5z5duldyfv/Karapulka's crossing.rar?dl=0

5 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Karapulka's crossing 

At first I thought I'd simply add this map to the other thread I created but I had already made a small scenario for it a couple of years ago. So I tried to flesh out a bit and decided to post it here instead.  

+1.  Thanks for taking the time to make and share this.  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

19 minutes ago, Zveroboy1 said:

MOS what mod is this you are using in the pic you posted? Is this the one I linked? I think maybe I didn't link the right mod.  

You linked the correct mod.  In the screenshot I'm using Blimey's Ukrainian Separatist Mod v1.  I like the "no helmet" look of Blimey's mod.  He has two Separatist mods.  One Ukrainian and one Russian.  I should probably use the Russian Separatist mod but I just tagged the scenario to use the UK Separatist mod I have in my Mod folder for the scenario Tactical Operations Center (TOC).   All the mods look cool I just think the no helmet look gives more of a paramilitary feel to it.  What might be even better is if some of the troops had helmets and some didn't.  A few dirty bandaged faces also......... :)   

Gave this scenario a try. Excellent work @Zveroboy1! Everything I was taught to expect when attacking an enemy position is true in this scenario. Really great scenario design. Haven't finished it yet.

Some situations arose during my play through that I deem worthy of sharing.

The XO's team got under PKM fire. The command decided to use the 9K111 against PKM.

XIUxt6l.jpg

2MP3xOt.jpg

DT9UuFX.jpg

ILrKkmz.jpg

Another missile was used, the PKM was silenced!

Thanks, I am glad you had fun playing the scenario. Good use of the atgm. The defenders are quite hard to root out of their positions. They're just a mix of regulars and greens and don't have particularly good stats but the 14.5 mm of the BTR simply doesn't cut it. It is not an easy scenario. You have barely enough to accomplish the mission. I will probably have to tweak it slightly but I want to keep it challenging.

Another interesting situation.

"Armored" cars...

During the course of battle, a BRDM 2 position is found. The command decides that it would be wasteful to use RPG's on it. The duty of taking out the BRDM 2 falls on machiegunner Shvets and his assistant. Shvets opens fire with his PKM, while his assistant readies an RGO/N.

bDKjSKo.jpg

RGO/N in air.

wMSPSqZ.jpg

gM2w2sE.jpg

Another one was thrown for good measure.

giG5nQl.jpg

With a couple of short bursts the crew is destroyed.

HTvrKPI.jpg

The company now has another trophy to add to it's motor pool.

Edited by Aurelius

I've finished the scenario. Here are my results.

YINSUuF.jpg

I've enjoyed the scenario. The unit placement is superb. If you take some of the more obvious approaches you will find yourself in a crossfire... The BRDM 2 position surprised me. I was wondering what was the reasoning behind their placement? Another, (un)pleasant surprise was the AGS position. As someone who has trained other people how to use the AGS, I find it's placement excellent!

12 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Good use of the atgm. The defenders are quite hard to root out of their positions. They're just a mix of regulars and greens and don't have particularly good stats but the 14.5 mm of the BTR simply doesn't cut it.

9K111 in the end had 4 kills on its list. It turns out one of the positions it destroyed was the position of the HQ team.

As far as the storming of the buildings go, yeah, they are tough. At one point I was working on one of the positions with a BTR, PKM and a squad of infantry. RPG's were used, and yet the Ukrainian team commander still managed to fire of his GP 25 and take out one of the machinegunners (my only casualty). Had me shaking my head at the screen, but such is war...😄

12 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

It is not an easy scenario. You have barely enough to accomplish the mission.

It's certainly a challenging scenario. I've used up most of the ammo and most of the units are tired.

Damn dude this scenario was too easy for you it looks like lol ! I have had people give me feedback in private messages (they shall remain unnamed) telling me it was too hard. I'll cook up a special version just for you next time I design another scenario.😁 Seriously that's impressive, only one killed. You are good at this.

---- SPOILERS BELOW ----

The BRDM it is supposed to enfilade anyone that wants to cross the road parallel to the river on the right side of the map and get in the woods. And also to support the defenders in the farm so they don't get flanked. But yes in practice it is blind really and can hardly spot anything. And when it does, its reaction time is too slow. It is more of a psychological threat really. At first I had a BMP 2 instead. It couldn't spot a lot better, but when it did and shot something it was nasty. Maybe I should bring it back. Oh yes send me a private message to tell me how you got right behind it with the PKM please.

---- END OF SPOILERS ----

Edited by Zveroboy1

My issue wasn't my actual result, more the result I that was expecting based on my losses.....I expected a defeat or a draw at best. 

The aforementioned AGL stayed quiet until after my forces had siezed the farm (I don't think it ever spotted the prolonged firefight), then when I ran a truck forward to perform a hot resupply (my BTRs were toast by then), it spotted that and kind of woke up, laying waste to all it beheld!  :(

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

...And how it was looking in real in 2015. Video of DNR forces  

Reminds me of old WW2 film footage of vehicles on the muddy roads of the eastern front.  I guess the vehicles are bigger and heavier and there are more of them but apparently at least some of the roads are just as muddy...........