Russian female medics

John Kettler

This subject came up over in the CoC group, and I though people here would appreciate what I found. This is part of a Soviet unit re-enactor site. The article on female Red Army medics: includes, period illos showing casualty extraction methods, 1939 bag contents (did sulfa powder get there later under LL?) and re-enactors in a variety of female medic uniforms. My interlocutor was asserting they were only in field hospitals, to which I replied they were pulling guys right off the firing line to get them to aid stations. Have read veteran accounts myself saying exactly this. The medics were not with the men directly in the line but were close enough to respond to cries for help. They were armed, too.

No idea why there's a blue highlight.

https://theredguard.weebly.com/medics.html

Main site is here. These people are deadly serious about the quality and credibility of the historical representation they provide.  

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

17 hours ago, John Kettler said:

I replied they were pulling guys right off the firing line to get them to aid stations. Have read veteran accounts myself saying exactly this. The medics were not with the men directly in the line but were close enough to respond to cries for help. They were armed, too.

This is exactly right, they were truly "pulling their weight", and more.

76mm,

Well put!

Bud Backer,

How could I have missed that? Do have a live link by any chance?

Do any of our Russian, Ukrainian and other colleagues have accounts of Soviet medics, male or female, both ref training and in battle. Am sure IRemember.ru has some, but they're unreachable from the English side of the site.There seem to be slim pickings on the Anglophone side of things. One small item of good news is that there are miniatures of Soviet medics in 28 mm scale produced by Warlord and a female owned outfit called Bad Squido Games. The latter also has a female recon group, mortar team and other items. Wish I could find an account I posted long ago of a husband and  wife team in an ISU-122 in the Battle of Berlin. He was the driver mechanic and she the komandir. They were having an argument while trying to get into battle as to what route they should take! Nothing to do with medics, but I thought I'd mention it. IRemember.ru also had/has a great account by a former female tanker. One interesting bit of chrome was that the ladies felt unfeminine in their figure hiding trousers and cut up the pants to make skirts, in gross violation of the regulations. Such destruction of State property, especially in wartime could easily have gotten summary execution of penal battalion/penal company (depending on rank). Suspect the osobists (NKVD) were told to stay out of it by higher because of the morale boost it gave to the female comrades who shared the exact same risks in battle and faced a dire additional likelihood the men didn't if captured!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:19 PM, Bud Backer said:

They were incredibly brave women. I don’t think they were really known. So I made a point of mentioning the wayyyy back when in my “Somebody’s Hero” CAAR Years ago. :)

oY_iVGmcJeIwFm_2Kua7TSWehuh3GMn10g_maVJB

Seems it‘s about time to recommend  this excellent, “must read” again:

Svetlana Alexievich „THE UNWOMANLY FACE OF WAR"“

So that's why the Russians had so many 'casualties'... They only had to shout for a medic, and Anastasia and Natascha would come runnning to their trench, wearing

On 9/30/2019 at 2:47 AM, John Kettler said:

a variety of female medic uniforms

Whereas the Germans would be sent to Jodeling Jörge and his Saurkraut Crew.

Edited by Bulletpoint

On 10/20/2019 at 2:13 PM, StieliAlpha said:

Seems it‘s about time to recommend  this excellent, “must read” again:

Svetlana Alexievich „THE UNWOMANLY FACE OF WAR"“

Can also highly recommend her book about the Soviet-Afghan war, called "Zinc Boys" (or Zinky Boys).