Higher game rez same desktop rez

I noticed that once you load CM you can reduce your desktop resolution and CM will keep the higher resolution until you restart your computer. Someone once posted a link to a program that enables you to run programs at higher resolutions than the desktop resolution, but I couldn't get it to work. Do a search for the link.

Why does everyone here talk about playing at 1600x1200? Am I the only one who doesn't have a 21" monitor that would be able to display that?

On a serious note, most 17" monitors can hardly display 1280x1024, and I don't know of any 19" monitors reaching 1600x1200 physically. Of course you can get them to display such a resolution, but the dot pitch is too low to get all the pixels out, so it doesn't really make sense IMO.

Dschugaschwili

My 14" NEC Multisyn C400 running on a 16mb TNT card can run 1600x1200. Not that you can read anything, but it can if you really want to.

To change your resolution, delete the cmbo.cfg file in your CMBO folder. When the game starts it will choose a 3d setting (first your normal desktop, which you can decline). You can set it at anything your monitor/card combo can do.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Behemoth:

is there any way to have 1600x1200 in the games and still retain a lower res. on my desktop. I noticed even when I delete the pref file the game checks the desktop resolution everytime, any an idea.

-B<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe this is possible. Everytime I've bumped up my resolution and set CM to run at that resolution and then change my desktop resolution back down, CM always redetects the video card and will not run at a resolution higher than the desktop.

Thx for your replies, the game doesn't seem to allow For different resolutions between desktop and game, even deleting pref file then reloading game with a smaller res. didn't work. The program does the check and the highest res. available is your current desktop res. It would be nice if this was an option in a later patch, other games allow this. If anyone else knows a solution I'm all ears.

I have a 19" ViewMate, and have no problems running at 1600x1200 32bit, but the only time I do this is when I watch DVDs. And, they are killer at that setting. Have played Half Life at that setting, but at 16bit color, with little slow down.

Think I'll give CM a shot at this rez and see what happens.

Doug

Well, lets see. Using a back of the envelope calculation, a .28mm dot pitch monitor needs a little over 17 horizontal inches and a little over 13 inches vertically. Rounding down...

17^2 * 13^2 = size^2

size ~= 21"

If you have a .25mm dot pitch, you need 15.75x11.8 ~= 19.7". But since the typical monitor viewable area is a good inch less than its stated area, it is not possible to show "true" 1600x1200 on a .25mm DPI 19" monitor.

Of course, all this assumes that the monitor dimensions are scaled the same as the 1600x1200 dimensions, but it should be pretty close anyway.

However, I *do* have my 19" monitor displaying 1600x1200 at .25mm DPI, so what does that mean? That my actual resolution is lower? How?

Jeff Heidman

I can run my Dell (Sony) 19" (17.9" viewable, .24 -.25AG) P991 FD Trinitron® Monitor with a64 MB DDR NVidia GeForce2 GTS at 1600x1200. At least my display properties control panel says it is. CM looks great at this resolution, but of course the desktop text is difficult to read. You can increase the font size in Windows to make the text easier to read, and you can also increase the font size in your web brower. It does take some getting used to though. I decided to switch my desktop back to whatever the next setting is above 1024x768 because the refresh rate outside of CM was too slow. But as I noted above, you can set your desktop to 1600x1200, delete the CM prefs file, load CM at 1600x1200, then ESC out of CM and reduce your desktop resolution. CM will stay at 1600x1200 until you reboot your computer even though your desktop is at 1024x768.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Behemoth:

is there any way to have 1600x1200 in the games and still retain a lower res. on my desktop. I noticed even when I delete the pref file the game checks the desktop resolution everytime, any an idea.

-B<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back to the matter at hand: Don't ask my how or why, but I run my desktop at a 1152x864, but have CM running at 1024x768. I'm a bit loath to try and experiment with it, cos it's just the way I want it to be, and, as I said, I don't know how I got there in the first place. Suffice it to say that it actually IS possible!

Oh, and to head off any wise-ass remarks: Yes, both resolutions stay exactly the same even after rebooting. Go figure...

Good luck.

------------------

Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der Strasse, and von vas...assaulted! peanut. Ho-ho-ho-ho.

JuJu, do you have those numbers backwards? You say you are running CM at a lower resolution than your desktop. That is easy to do. You probably loaded CM when your desktop was at 1024x768 and then increased your desktop resolution afterwards. CM will run at a resolution no greater than your desktop resolution, but it will run at a lower resolution. If you do have your numbers reversed, then you have somehow gotten around this problem.

Pvt. Ryan!

I'm afraid I meant exactly what I wrote. And no, I haven't gotten around the problem, then. Seems I haven't been paying attention. frown.gif Didn't know that lower resolutions do work. So, sorry for talking a lot of crap in my last post and thanks for pointing that out, man.

------------------

Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der Strasse, and von vas...assaulted! peanut. Ho-ho-ho-ho.

Thanks for the tip. Tried it as well.

Hmmm, turns out I'm a Florida-voter too. no go for me either. Guess we must be doing something wrong. confused.gif

Not that it's very important. As you already figured out I use a lower-than-desktop-resolution for CM on my machine. Ah, well...

------------------

Ah! I see...

Well, I got it to work now. For some odd reason it won't go for the requested resolution, but it does go to a higher resolution at least. I'll keep wrestling it some more. I'm sure it'll finally succumb to my..., well, whatever I'm gonna do to it.

Thanks Stuka!

Did you get that Pvt. Ryan? If you right-click on the new shortcut you'll find a new tab called Qres. Fiddle with it a bit. If I can do this, you can too. smile.gif

------------------