Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Jirash Shughur kicked my Butt

45 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Have enjoyed this discussion of tactics.  Wish more threads were like this.  Thanks...

I agree, at one time there was more of this on the forum and more discussion of how to use ones units.

Hardly see any good stuff on it anymore.

Detailed AAR's are the best, but its even better if you can get a open discussion going as to other options that were available and evaluate the choices made.

But there is a lot of work in making a good AAR. Only done a couple in all the years playing.

But I always debrief myself after every battle and review my actions,  then if I want to see how another choice would have gone, I replay the battle and use the other option.

Basically, this post was a little of that but with me trying to get input as to if anyone else had come up with a better option than what I was rethinking.

This was therapy for me, when setting up to play it for the first time. My gut  and thought process was telling me to not go down that right flank.  but I let myself get in a mindset that is what the scenario was designed for you to do, so play it as they intended and I will work through the challenges it gives me.

Needless to say, I regretted that so much I just had to do this thread as a part of my healing:D.

I had a go last night. I aimed for a setup on the ridge overlooking the town on the right flank - pre set artillery was painful, followed by a succession of additional pain, primarily snipers on infantry and rpgs on Strykers. 

Next go I thought - what favours US? Distance - so I  shifted all forces to far left flank and set up base of fire with MGS with manoeuvre forces gradually closing in. Ran short of time at the end so lost a handful of Strykers when pushing too hard, but got Syrian surrender with not much of their forces left on map.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

ATGM take out an MGS by any chance?  ;)

Lol...no. 

SPOILER

I set the first MGS behind a building, and routed the Stryker with Battalion HQ and the sniper squad around the side (closer to the blue edge) off-road. That Stryker took the ATGM. Sniper squad went from 8 (?) to 2. Batt HQ is okay. Stryker crew had one survivor. 

That MGS I set in overwatch, partially shielded by the building? It took out the ATGM. Blood for blood! ;)

I don't like having the scenario start with your forces already under the gun. (Unless the briefing so-states...)

A minor lesson, re-learned...

Seeing a built-up area, I gave a squad some extra (4?) AT-4s. I like to bring the "boom" to city fights. Well, as is my wont, I split my squads. Distributed eyeballs and distributed casualties...in case of an RPG.

Well, I decided to send one of the teams back to the Stryker to grab a Javelin with launcher. A turn later, there they were, IN the Stryker. Because the 4 men had 2 (3?) AT4's, they were denied the Javelin Launcher & Missile combo. Grrr. I decided to get them to combine with the 5 men of their squad and peel off a different team.

It was a moot point: the Stryker died that turn. Buh-bye Mr. Javelin Launcher.

Better to grab the heavy gear first...

11 hours ago, slysniper said:
12 hours ago, Erwin said:

Have enjoyed this discussion of tactics.  Wish more threads were like this.  Thanks...

I agree, at one time there was more of this on the forum and more discussion of how to use ones units.

Detailed AAR's are the best, but its even better if you can get a open discussion going as to other options that were available and evaluate the choices made.

My bold. Agree 100%.

Michael

12 hours ago, slysniper said:

Agreed.  When CM1 and CM2 were first released, discussion about tactics was a large, maybe the largest part of the forums.  After a while, the forum subjects became dominated by rivet counting and discussions about historical accuracy.  Maybe that is a natural progression from when a product is new and people simply want to learn how to play better... to a subject of more serious pseudo academic-like study.

Perhaps also, a new product has less content, so we are all playing the same scenarios.  Now there are so many CM2 families, each with increasing content resulting in our niche within a niche being increasingly fragmented.

Edited by Erwin

4 hours ago, c3k said:

Better to grab the heavy gear first...

That's my rule of thumb when playing the Ukrainians or Russians in CM:BS, especially at the first sound of a helicopter.....Abandon BTR/BMP/MTLB, crew too, preferably while parked between buildings.  Then hide in those buildings, but not too close or you'll just die in the blast when your track cooks off!  :unsure:

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

Agreed.  When CM1 and CM2 were first released, discussion about tactics was a large, maybe the largest part of the forums.  After a while, the forum subjects became dominated by rivet counting and discussions about historical accuracy.  Maybe that is a natural progression from when a product is new and people simply want to learn how to play better... to a subject of more serious pseudo academic-like study.

Perhaps also, a new product has less content, so we are all playing the same scenarios.  Now there are so many CM2 families, each with increasing content resulting in our niche within a niche being increasingly fragmented.

All very true.

I guess for me, I am one of the few lucky ones in that CMSF2 is all fresh to me. I am getting to see these all for the first time. No scenario has been dissected and understood . 

So Christmas has truly arrived for me. With 80 + Scenario's , tons of old user made ones I can also access, all of the campaigns that are being reworked. All of it is new to me, I think I have my addiction possible fixed for awhile, long enough to be able to wait patently for the other projects coming out likely this year.

So, I want to post and discuss what's happening with the new toy I have.

I envy players who are experiencing CMSF2 with all the bells and whistles for the first time.  As it was the only CM2 product available for 5+ years, the designers got very good at making xnt scenarios and campaigns - esp during the year b4 CMBN cam out. 

It's still my favorite game as I love the desert environment and the longer LOS that tends to be featured.  CMSF was also xnt training to teach one to be very economical with forces and ensure minimal casualties.  The WW2 titles were a shock after that.  And CMBS is even more lethal.