Rosie the Riveter (African-American edition) photo series

While we all know the iconic Rosie the Riveter, I daresay most her have never seen her counterpart, shown here with a nice long caption explaining black women in the workforce during World War 2. Time to set the photographic record straight. If you blow up the first image, on the left edge you can clearly see the legend "OWI" followed by a reference number. This shows these are official government sanctioned and censor approved pics. Not responsible for hashtags!

https://www.tumbex.com/endangered-justice-seeker.tumblr/post/177444312412/rare-photos-of-black-rosie-the-riveters

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

It is General discussion forum, gotta give him credit for finally putting this stuff here.

From a historical perspective it is an interesting item.  WW2 had a huge impact on US demographics and cultural norms.  The employment opportunities and upward mobility that spurred African American initiatives towards the civil rights movement etc is part of our history.  The mass migration that this helped initiate of some 5 million African Americans to northern and western cities (resulting in an urbanization level of some 80%, far higher than the average demographic) has continued to impact our politics, social programs etc.  The neighborhood where my family lived when I was born (Folcroft PA) had a race riot that lasted 3 days and was so bad state troopers were posted there because one black family wanted to buy a house. (Google 1963 Baker Incident).  For me it is a short hop from the pictures John posted to a particularly traumatic moment from my childhood.

I expect the Philadelphia Shipyard was one of the locations that drew folks to relatively better skilled paying jobs as it expanded it's work force in WW2 to some 40,000 people.  In addition Chester PA had another shipbuilding facility along with a lot of other war time related expansion in steel production etc.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:36 PM, sburke said:

It is General discussion forum, gotta give him credit for finally putting this stuff here.

From a historical perspective it is an interesting item.  WW2 had a huge impact on US demographics and cultural norms.  The employment opportunities and upward mobility that spurred African American initiatives towards the civil rights movement etc is part of our history.  The mass migration that this helped initiate of some 5 million African Americans to northern and western cities (resulting in an urbanization level of some 80%, far higher than the average demographic) has continued to impact our politics, social programs etc.  The neighborhood where my family lived when I was born (Folcroft PA) had a race riot that lasted 3 days and was so bad state troopers were posted there because one black family wanted to buy a house. (Google 1963 Baker Incident).  For me it is a short hop from the pictures John posted to a particularly traumatic moment from my childhood.

I expect the Philadelphia Shipyard was one of the locations that drew folks to relatively better skilled paying jobs as it expanded it's work force in WW2 to some 40,000 people.  In addition Chester PA had another shipbuilding facility along with a lot of other war time related expansion in steel production etc.

Very well said. Thanks.

para,

Perhaps your confusion arises from the fact that we have two General Discussion Forums. The first is this one, the General Discussion Forum (GDF), which has been around since the CM Forums began. The new arrival is the Combat Mission General Discussion Forum (CMGDF). The GDF is explicitly designated for that which has nothing to do with CM, and this used to be a jumping joint, to put it mildly. It got more traffic than the gaming forums. These days, it's a veritable ghost town. The CMGDF is specifically to address matters for all CMx2 titles. In practice, though, unless you're me or a few other people, many matters NOT CMGDF pertinent get brought up and discussed.Those posters get a pass, whereas the first group gets flak, But the forum titles make it easy to confuse them, and I've had several misposts as a result, but sometimes missed the mistake outright.

sburke,

A most insightful explanation, and I love that you brought history to life by citing familial experiences. Isn't everyday that happens here.

Regards,

John Kettler