Artillery Spotters

6 hours ago, CanuckGamer said:

If I have a spotter that is killed before the barrage he called in takes place, will that barrage still occur?

I don‘t think so. If you refer to an actual game, which you are running, check the status if your arty. You should see, whether the battery is still busy or not.

There used to be a bug where if the FO was killed during the spotting round phase either the FFE barrage continued but very inaccurately, or, the battery was permanently "busy" and the player couldn't reassign the battery.  That was fixed.  So, AFAIK the battery will become available again.

If the FO is KO'd after FFE is initiated, the strike will continue as planned.  (The player can cancel if he wants.)

I reported another hard to duplicate bug that enables one to use one FO to call in more than one battery on different targets which one is not supposed to be able to do.  It's still in the CMSF2 demo I played, but am hoping it will be fixed for the release.  It's not a biggy as it's not easy to find/reproduce the bug.   One has to be a fanatic, detail-oriented nutjob player (like moi) to figure it out.  :wacko:  So, not a gamebreaker issue for the average gamer. 

Edited by Erwin

On 12/2/2018 at 5:41 PM, Erwin said:

If the FO is KO'd after FFE is initiated, the strike will continue as planned.  (The player can cancel if he wants.)

Are you sure about this? I think that if the leader of the FO is killed, nothing can be done about the barrage, even if the rest of the team has a radio

On 12/4/2018 at 8:59 AM, Swant said:

I think that if the leader of the FO is killed, nothing can be done about the barrage, even if the rest of the team has a radio

This.  If the FO is KIA during the spotting phase the artillery unit may cancel the fire mission on their own.  However once an off map artillery/mortar unit fires for effect and the spotter is KIA the mission will fire for the duration of the mission (No way to stop or adjust without the original spotter). 

Page 75 of the 4.0 Engine manual states the following:

If the Spotter is incapacitated or killed during a Support Mission, the Asset will usually be unavailable for other Support Missions for a length of time. Depending on the circumstances, the Support Mission may either be eventually canceled or continue to completion.

However, I don't remember the AI ever cancelling a fire mission after the spotter was KIA.  I do remember one fire mission in a PBEM where the spotter was KIA.  That max duration low rate of fire, fire mission, continued for about another 30 minutes until empty.  :angry: