Newbie DAR/AAR: ncc1701e vs JoMc67D

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

It's worth firing at sound contacts as well.  In CM1 the sound contacts were vague and inaccurate and it was usually a waste of ammo shooting at them.  In CM2 sound contacts are quite accurate and one can usually get a result by shooting at a sound contact.

I would add onto that the condition of "if the unit gained the tentative contact themselves" or "if the unit has had no prior knowledge about the enemy unit". Otherwise they could be quite inaccurate due to a bug. But then again ridiculously accurate locations for tentative contacts can be regained through another bug for those with the inclination to cheat.

But yeah I agree also worth firing at tentative contacts (that you yourself also believe are there). The enemy unit might start running then also and therefore make themselves fully visible to your units.

Edited by Oliver_88

8 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Is your team moving slow?  If so that could be part of the problem... visibility is not great when they are hugging the ground.  Move teams in pairs, in a mixture of very short rushes (Fast) and Hunt... with a lot of listening halts in order to better spot enemy units.

Yes it was a slow move. When you say short rushes of Fast and Hunt, for how many meters do you do Fast moves and same question for Hunt moves?

4 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

Yes it was a slow move. When you say short rushes of Fast and Hunt, for how many meters do you do Fast moves and same question for Hunt moves?

One or two action spots at the most for the rush (fast speed) and about the same for the hunt moves. Use hunt more The closer you get to probable enemy contact. 

MINUTE 6

The situation is extremely confusing. Lots of firefights this turn. On my right wing, Germans continue to approach, not sure they have noticed the danger.

vvLdA.jpg

Some other Germans spotted here.

7YNDm.jpg

As well as on my right wing.

Am4Dg.jpg

In the center, the firefight turns in my defavor.

LOwKL.jpg

However, in the woods, my teams are beginning firing...

55Pyy.jpg

Edited by ncc1701e

MINUTE 7

Despite their local win in the center, the Germans are withdrawing.

dpNdr.jpg

In the woods, the Germans are taken by surprise.

NNPJ7.jpg

No mercy for the enemy.

kK1kJ.jpg

While two teams are firing on the Germans, I have the third team moving FAST to catch the Germans...

V84Dd.jpg

Small victory, the Germans are withdrawing. I think they have at least two casualties.

aX5Kp.jpg

Message from @JoMc67 about our current game:

"Hmm, I will need to re-think this turn a bit before sending you back a New Game File. Apparently, you are becoming a formidable foe...Yes, OBi Wan (aka: the Forumites) has taught you well, Young Luke.
So...Who are You, and What have You Done with NCC ?...I want my All-Too Cautious Player back."

😏 but let's not declare victory too quickly...

So, a couple of things to consider.

You do know what the enemy has, which makes the difference between you easier to judge. 

First thing is to decide if you're overwhelming them. In that case you might be best placed to pursue and exploit your success, before they get a chance to recover.

If not, next priority is on consolidating into a hasty defensive position (all-round defence - you need to cover your flanks), and taking stock of where you are. This can include time for buddy aid to pick up ammunition, or any key weapons that may have been dropped. If you can find covered positions on the objective, then you're golden. Setting this up might occupy as little as the next minute or two.

Then, you need to decide (pretty quickly) whether your platoon is in a fit state to pursue any additional objectives, or whether consolidating on this one is their limit. This is a judgement call, with some nuance to it. Platoons are generally only good for one objective at a time, so it would be reasonable for them to take and hold this one, and no further. If they'd taken no losses or overrun the defenders easily they might be suitable for another objective.

"Consolidating" in this case doesn't really mean staying put - it might mean taking key buildings or other pieces of commanding terrain, and might require fighting for them.

You know that reinforcement is coming, so transitioning from attack to defence might be the best idea for the moment - if taking the objective is going to cost too many lives then you'll not end up achieving anything, but repelling any attacks from a defensive position can end up costing them more.

Assuming you're set up in a hasty defence (assuming that's the right decision - nuance, again), then you also need to send out scout teams to screen and recon the enemy - if they're coming you need to know this, and if they're fleeing they'll be out of your LOS pretty quickly. This could be done at the same time as your consolidation effort - sending one squad to screen whilst the others make good of their situation.

38 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

And a 5 seconds pause at each waypoint? Is it the way to go? Thanks Bil 🙂

I used to use HUNT when contact seemed imminent - esp in woods.  However, in the game it seemed that the enemy could often get to fire first vs a unit using HUNT as that unit moved cautiously and spread out - so maybe the first one or two guys would get shot while the others immediately hunkered down with no LOS to the enemy and unable to fire at the enemy unit while the enemy unit was still distracted.

Nowadays, I find it often more effective to move QUICK in short (~5m-10m) bounds - preferably coordinating with at least one other team, and maybe a 5 second PAUSE at each waypoint.  The trick is to gain an understanding of where to place waypoints so that your teams get LOS on only one enemy team at a particular waypoint/moment in time. 

What seems to happen using this technique is that the attacking unit(s) arrive with all team members in place before the enemy has time to react, and if one has done this correctly, then one's teams may get to fire first, defeating the enemy team quickly.  Then rinse and repeat...

MINUTE 9

Carefully moving into the woods, on my right wing, I realize that there are much more casualties than I have expected, at least four now.

KZVe0.jpg

My panicking squad is back to treat the wounded.

QONR3.jpg

Germans are spotted into the woods...

lxK04.jpg

While others are moving to the other objective...

EJ4Vk.jpg

I will consolidate my positions. I don't feel possible to attack right now.

MINUTE 10

Seems I was wrong. This German is not going on the second objective. Looks like he is fleeing...

EJOEk.jpg

In the center, I continue to randomly fire few smoke rounds with my mortar team to limit the LOS of the enemy.

bmg1p.jpg

Few Germans are spotted at the exact location I had so many problems with in my first game. This scenario is definitely difficult for Germans.

W8QxK.jpg

qLZ5e.jpg

Overall situation is here.

gNJjj.jpg

MINUTE 11

Time for my teams in the woods to advance a little to area fire on some sound positions.

554QY.jpg

But the Germans are progressing too... This is not the end...

r5jem.jpg

My squad team, in the center of the village, has withdrawn once more.

19Xqg.jpg

Germans have arrived in this first house of the village but are taken apart by my scout team. One more casualty for them.

jrYKR.jpg

mxwa5.jpg

On my left wing, I will try to progress next turn.

KZD1Y.jpg

MINUTE 12

My limited action on my left wing is starting. Two teams are advancing covering each other.

JW5kX.jpg

R8G2P.jpg

7Y31R.jpg

While I am still detecting Germans in the woods in front of them.

Am0w0.jpg

A first team rushs into the house that has a good LOS on their location.

LOkaO.jpg

Looks like I am achieving fire superiority... Can't believe it. 🙂

jrG1v.jpg

My orders for next turn are to continue to push them out of this village before concentrating on the second objective.

MINUTE 13

More Germans are discovered, fleeing.

bmmJ2.jpg

One more casualty taken while the others are withdrawing.

W88KN.jpg

DjjWa.jpg

It is the panic on the other side, another casualty.

qLLjn.jpg

gNNLJ.jpg

I have merged two teams in the same house to continue firing at the enemy.

kKKJe.jpg

While the third team is going on the left doing reco toward the second objective.

V8838.jpg

If the situation can not be worse for the Germans, my mortar team is now shelling them...

aXXJy.jpg

Is this the beginning of the end?

3eedJ.jpg

Edited by ncc1701e

MINUTE 14

Ouch, my mortar team is doing good things. 

r55e7.jpg

In addition to my suppressing fire... I begin to understand.

199qO.jpg

The overall situation seems good. I am assessing that there is no more enemy in the village.

jrrKj.jpg

KZZ11.jpg

I will move the remaining of the squad, in the center, toward the second objective next turn. And, per common agreement with @JoMc67,  this is time to call for a cease fire. I am impatient to play the next scenario.

MINUTE 16

I am removing the squad on my right wing from the front line. They will move toward the second objective not exposing themselves from enemy LOS.

kKwyJ.jpg

On my left wing, I have merged an entire squad back.

V8bgd.jpg

Finally, I have changed my mind. The squad, who had some losses, has entered the house in front of the enemy. They deserve some rest.

aXyNp.jpg

My armored car is advancing in a position to provide some fire support once I will need it.

3eRVq.jpg

No more shots can be heard. 🤗