"Out of the dust -finals"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kingfish,

Maybe a little late, but you asked about suggestions for Panzers in the Peel.

I played this game as americans and felt I had to little options as defender during the set-up phase. I would have liked a large® set-up zone for the americans at the german side of the map. So you could place the units freely and not limited to the designated area's.

About the flags: maybe not moving one of the small flags to the crossroads, but adding a bigger one to the crossroads.

Decrease the amount of arty for the defender (but please replace the british 25 lbs for some decent US arty ! You wait for ages to get the first strike in and then again for every next salvo).

Increase the number of moves by 5. It will give the attacker more chance of taking the town.

I think the game should play like a win for the americans if the germans can't reach the crossroads, a tie if they do and a german win if they take Asten.

Hope this helps in anyway.

And thanks again for your time and input !

Bert

Not too late

I played this game as americans and felt I had to little options as defender during the set-up phase. I would have liked a large® set-up zone for the americans at the german side of the map. So you could place the units freely and not limited to the designated area's.
I agree. One of the things I will be concentrating on is replayability, and a larger setup zone will go a long way towards achieving that goal. The Germans too will profit from a larger setup.

About the flags: maybe not moving one of the small flags to the crossroads, but adding a bigger one to the crossroads.
Just so I am clear on your suggestion, are you referring to the 'Y' crossroad, where the two main German held roads meet and then continues on to Asten, or the smaller 'T' intersection further up the road, between the 'Y' and Asten? The latter is what I was referring to.

Decrease the amount of arty for the defender (but please replace the british 25 lbs for some decent US arty ! You wait for ages to get the first strike in and then again for every next salvo).

This will require a bit of a compromise, since the Brits did provide artillery support and I'm big on keeping things historical. Besides there is nothing in the US inventory that comes close to the 25 pdrs blast rating (59). The US 75mm has a 39 BR - too small - while the next sizes up (4.2" and 105mm) both have 77 BR - too big.

What I can do is switch the 25pdrs for Brit 4.2" mortars (47 BR), which are far more responsive and have a quicker ROF.

I am curious what the attacker to defender points ratio is in Panzer in the Peel. I played the Germans and at the end it looked to me like the Americans had a lot more stuff, but that may be due to the cost of the Panthers, not sure what there cost is.

I know my infantry was pretty beat up by the time I got the 3 small flags, there was no way I was going to make a push on the town. I sure was surprised to see it rain and rain and rain Artillary for the last 2/3 of the battle non stop.

Still turned out to be my favorite battle for the reasons I posted earlier. It had the feel of a grand tactical situation, for the Germans anyway.

-U8led

The ratio was nearly 1:1, with the Germans fielding 3512 points to the American's 3399.

The breakdown of infantry / support / vehicles / armor and artillery is 792-256-525-1677-262 for the Germans, and 1028-310-136-1092-833 for the Americans.

So the Americans have a marked majority in infantry and big advantage in artillery, while the Germans have the upper hand in armor and vehicles.

Thanks for that info Kingfish that is exactly what I was wondering. I think it would be tough for any German player to take the town with such an infantry defacite.

Panthers are indeed great but when my infantry screen becomes tattered I get leary about pushing my armor into a potential killzone. Especially when the enemy knows how limited the routes of advance are.

-U8led

I know my infantry was pretty beat up by the time I got the 3 small flags, there was no way I was going to make a push on the town. I sure was surprised to see it rain and rain and rain Artillary for the last 2/3 of the battle non stop.
I expereanced the same thing in the play testing except I was sitting at 38% instead of a advantage, so I attempted to push for the city with armour only just to see the results since I was play testing. I lost 2 or 3 panzers and did manage to get to the edge of town. It was ugly, it was stupid, there would be no way to hold the town. But in game terms I found I was at the same 38% even with the losses. For I did manage to take out some guns and tanks, opened up more infantry to my little remaining support fire and did neutralize the big flag only because timing made it impossible for the allies to remove me from town, but given a few turns that would not be the case.

Some tweaks to the flag values and maybe locations would likely be all that is needed for a more balenced scoring scenario, but other than that, its a great scenario. The heavy quantities of arty made me feel more like a real German trooper, because that is more like how the real war was fought. The allies were not great tactical fighters, but they did know how to dump plenty of arty as part of gaining fire supremecy

[ January 17, 2006, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: slysniper ]

The limited routes of advance cuts both ways, and may actually present the German player with a slight advantage if he plays his cards right.

Consider that on the allied side only the M10s stand a good chance at popping the Panthers, while every German tank or gun-armed vehicle can kill any allied tank. And the limited routes means you will be facing the Panthers head on with almost no chance at flanking them. Plus the M10s, whom themselves are restricted to the roads just like the German tanks, are very vunerable to airbursts. A well placed arty strike can eliminate the allies only effective counter to the Panthers, leaving him with few options.

Like you (I think) I meant the T crossing (actually the two that are really close together) between the Y-crossing and Asten.

It should force the german side to advance further in the direction of Asten instead of sitting on his hands and consolidate his achievements. Thinking about that: your idea of moving one of the three small flags to the T crossing might achieve the same.

Bert