"Out of the dust -finals"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t worry yourself, Keith…take as much time as you need. You’re still playing that piffling little fog game, right ? The one where each side has roughly one platoon and an additional HQ ?

Sorry couldn’t resist tongue.gif .

As a matter of fact I’m hoping you get 0.5 points for your efforts, no more and no less. Then we’d have to play the battle to end all battles to decide who gets 51% of the glory… smile.gifsmile.gif

Chris

Sorry Guys, you will have to wait until Monday, I have all my infomation for the outstanding match sitting at work.

What started 5 months ago is now finially finishing. My goal was three months, now running one I would say it should have been 4 months, 2 months for each match, which you all did normally.

Hope you have had fun, made new friends, enjoyed the challenge and are wanting some more. I like the scoring system concepts and think it seems better than other types of formats, but How could I not like them since they are my baby.

One last note: if you do not hear from me for a while, it is because my dad might be dieing, it is not likely he will not make it through what he faces. So I will be with family if this happens. He has had a good life and is a good man, so no sorry's or anything needs to be said. I just want to let you know if I am not able to get to this in the next few days.

The final standings are

Miles 13 points

Walker 12.5 points

Dinga 44 11.5 points

U8led 10 points

Melb_will 9.5 points

Bert 9 points

Fiaros 7 points

Gort 7 points

Mikado 5 point

Warhammer 3 points

Major Tum 3 points

Ozi 3 points

[ January 09, 2006, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: slysniper ]

And the final match results are

Match #6 Ghost among the fog

Germans vs Americans

52/38 Melb_will vs Major Tum

45/50 K.A. Miles vs Ozi Digger

39/54 Bertblitzkrieg vs Warhammer

39/61 Fiaros vs Gort

37/56 Mikado vs Walker

34/66 U8led vs Dinga44

Germans

Melb_will 3 points (1.5 points for weak side win)

K.A. Miles 2 points

Bertblitzkrieg 1 point

Americans

Dinga44 3 points (1 point upset)

Gort 2 points (1 point upset)

Walker 1 point

I just want to congratulate our champion K.A. Miles. Well deserved Victory.

Though the point spread is so small between our leaders. I think their records show that final positions are deserved. This also shows the scoring system seems to work pretty well.

K.A. Miles

Best American Score The Last Road Out

Best German Score The Bloody Stream

2nd Best German Score What Were We Thinking

Best German Score Norrey

2nd Best German Score Ghost among the fog

Out of 6 matches, 3 best scores and 5 strong showings – well done

Walker

2nd Best American Score The Last Road Out

3rd Best German Score The Bloody Stream

2nd Best German Score Panzer’s in the Peel

with a upset score vs Miles

Best Canadian Score Norrey

3trd Best American Score Ghost Among the Fog

Upsetting miles help him to move up the ranks, one best score and 5 showings.

I like the fact he moved up for doing well against the leader.

Dinga 44

Best German score What Were We Thinking

Best American score Panzer’s in the peel

Upset vs Gort

3rd best German Score Norrey

Best American Score Ghost among the Fog

Upset vs U8led

Out of 6 matches, 3 best scores and 4 showings – Close to the leader but no question as to who did better

U8led

2nd Best German The Last Road Out

2nd Best British The Bloody Stream

3rd Best American What were we Thinking

Best German Score Panzer in the peel

Upset vs fiaros and the only German to win this battle.

Did well but it is easy to see why he is under these other 3 and deserves to be above the rest of the ranks just because he managed to win with the Germans in “Panzer in the Peel”

Also note that 8 of the 12 possible best scores are among these 4

Remember I asked you all to rate yourselves on your gameplay before we started, most of you did, a few I had to from comments you made.

Anyway I put a win percentage down for each of you and this is how they compare to your final position, In General, in only two rounds the separation was already working, with more games of coarse the better it would work. Also this is not very accurate because it was created by only opinions of skill in the rating, but I think in shows how fast this system levels the playing field.

Miles 13 points 50%

Walker 12.5 points 70%

Dinga 44 11.5 points 70%

U8led 10 points 50%

Melb_will 9.5 points 50%

Bert 9 points 65%

Fiaros 7 points 60%

Gort 7 points 40%

Mikado 5 point 33%

Warhammer 3 points 50%

Major Tum 3 points 50%

Ozi 3 points 20%

It would be nice if players had ratings that they would earn from tournaments in a standard format.

I have a system for that also, but that is another story.

[ January 10, 2006, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: slysniper ]

Great Tounament Sly and if you do one for CMBB I am definately interested.

I would like to point out I had the weak side in every battle, what are the odds of that? That is only an observation and not a complaint.

Miles had the strong side in 5 of 6 only haveing the weak side in the fog battle, which in my opinion was more of a craps game then a tactical battle. Where is the challenge to the top ranked player when he gets the strong side in every battle? Especialy Norrey where I felt the Germans had a massive force advantage and it appeared there intel told them where the Allied reinforcements would come from. Shermans did finaly show up but it was to late to make a difference as 4 or 5 panthers (some id'd as tigers) waited ready for them.

But my biggest achievment in my mind from the tourney is that I did not lose a single tank in any of the matches. (besides the 2 shermans I lost in Norey as frustration set in and I was just going to charge all shermans behind the panthers but most of them drove to the bocage and turned broadside to the Panthers. ooops reverse!, reverse!) Keeping armor alive should pay big dividends when CMC finaly releases, I cant wait.

Favorite Battle was definately the swamp attack, not because I won, but because there was so much flanking, attacking and reinforceing going on with overwatch that it had the feel of a grand battle. My only complaint in that one is that the Allies had so much artillary that my opponent was not even able to use it all up. At least 50% of my casualtys were from arty which I thought would stop at some point but it didnt.

Just my thoughts

U8led

I would like to point out I had the weak side in every battle, what are the odds of that? That is only an observation and not a complaint

Miles had the strong side in 5 of 6

I did try to give each player a hopeful mix of strong side/ weak side, scenarios, the problem is 3 scenario played out different than play testing showed.

As far as Norrey being the win for the Germans each time, note that the strongest victory was 90/10 Canadian and I will be more than happy to play the British side even after you know what the Battle is like and show you in play who I think should win this one, or at the least end in a very close battle. I know a couple of the Canadian players did not pay attention to their briefings and set up totally wrong for a chance to play this one well, so the scores reflect it.

This is the part that makes the system work, does not matter who had the best side or how balenced it was. The comparision in results is what you are competing at.

Bah and bah again! And I was so hoping for a decider v Keith :( !!

Slysniper’s scoring system…it seems to work quite well. The rankings fit in nicely with my take on the strength of the 6 players I battled, on the basis of one single game each of course. One exception is U8led – although I enjoyed it a lot our (snow) game was so vague, so long-distance, with so few unit-on-unit encounters, that I can’t venture even an abstract opinion in that respect.

Keith is a worthy winner and I’m sure those who had the good fortune :D to meet him on the battlefield will confirm that he is a sharp and resourceful opponent who makes life in the field exceedingly difficult. To make matters worse, he’s also an exceptionally nice person to exchange files with :rolleyes: !

My favourites were Bloody Stream as the German defender:

Challenging and with several tricky options on a small map, with an added dilemma caused by the low-quality HQs. The fact that the Germans had few AT assets (zero schrecks was a touch of design genius) combined with the early loss of one tank and the AT gun made for a nail-chewing game. I’d be really delighted if the designer made a couple of minor but interesting changes to both forces and issued the scenario as version 1.2, so I could play it again with the full surprise factor in place!

And the Swamp game as the German attacker, in which I failed to follow the briefing and mount an immediate attack on the two closest flags. Consequently I spent the battle attempting to get three of the four flags against bitter resistance, two counter-attacks and through a never-ending arty barrage. As U8 mentioned, the scope for surprises and flanking moves gave it the feel of a ‘grand campaign’.

I liked the concept of Last Road, as the U.S., but disliked the fiddly chore of having so many vehicles to keep out of trouble and do “something useful” with, but ‘too many vehicles’ is just my personal pet hate :mad: . The Snow game was amazing because my attack plan proceeded with hardly any close-up interference from the US defender, and I was constantly on edge, waiting for the counter-blow to fall. Norrey as the Canadian defender was a remarkable experience too, the nine Shermans/Fireflies managed to ‘escape’ from their entry zone under a smokescreen and embark on a campaign of hit and run in the wheat fields. The combination of two Shermans and one Firefly fighting as teams turned out to be very effective. My Fog game as the Allies was all about who stumbled upon what in which terrain, although the two HTs that came on towards the end proved to be a crucial asset in that they supported an attack to secure a flag that might otherwise have been a disaster.

So thanks Kingfish and thanks Slysniper. You put a great deal of thought and work into our tournament. It’s been a great experience. Superb scenarios and a tourney manager who kept things running smoothly from start to finish. In fact it was so much fun I’ve got the withdrawal blues…didn’t someone mention a follow-on smile.gifsmile.gif ??

Hey Guys,

Thank you for the kind words on "Panzers in the Peel". I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Now that the tourney is over I would like to release it to the SDII, but would like to first hear from all of you on what suggestions you may have to improve it.

I'm already thinking of removing one of the forward minor flags and moving the other back to where the two flanking roads eventually intersect the main road to Asten.

Any other ideas? Increase/decrease turns? Add/remove forces? Change the map? Let me know.

Originally posted by Walker:

Bah and bah again! And I was so hoping for a decider v Keith :( !!

Oh, sorry about that. I did try to get only .5 of a point, but I just couldn't manage it. ;)

Kingfish, I forgot to thank you for the GREAT scenarios! Personally, I'd leave the Panzers in the Peel scenario just as it is. It would be interesting (to me) to see how the game played, with a different, more "reckless" German opponent. Chris (Walker) was extrememly cautious in his approach, and made it tough to "get at him" with my bored zooka teams! :D I had to go back and check the briefing, just to make sure I wasn't the attacker! redface.gif Seriously though, the forward position of the three flags would tempt me (as the German player) to push forward without much care.

I will be sending Miles his certificate of achievement once I have a address. I am weighing if I should frame it or mount it on a wood plaque.

I am glad to see he is state side, thus saving me money. Miles is a North Carolina boy, I am down there a few times each year, wonder if he would like a visitor. He has Miniatures, never known anyone that was into that much. Of course he is only 20 or 21, so how big could his collection be.

Thus one other point, this young man did a number on some of these seasoned players

Originally posted by slysniper:

Miles is a North Carolina boy, I am down there a few times each year, wonder if he would like a visitor.

As I am frequently telling my PBEM partners... You're welcome to visit anytime you want! I can get you my mailing address, if that is easier. Thanks for going to the lengths to make a certificate. I shall hang it up in an honored place, right next to my pic of Robert E. Lee! ;)

He has Miniatures, never known anyone that was into that much. Of course he is only 20 or 21, so how big could his collection be.
Over the years, I've painted thousands of figures. Unfortunately, being the poor boy that I am, I've sold most of them to fund my other hobby pursuits (I bought CMBO & CMBB with miniature money, hehe). I do have approx. 1,500 6mm American Civil War minis painted and ready to go, and at least twice that much still sitting in the box. I just ordered $240 worth of Russian Flames of War Cossacks, but I haven't gotten anything but the Tachankas painted yet. Anyway, let me know if you plan on heading down this way. My local wargaming group literally has tens of thousands of figures, and we are running games fairly regularly now.