Computer ASL

Hi all,

I'm a bit late for the party and excuse if this was discussed earlier but isn't this the game that was being developed as computer Advanced Squad Leader? I love the demo and I'm planning to order.

Here is a question for you. Will anyone be converting ASL scenarios to CM? I would like to find all the SL and ASL scenarios for CM. This is the only gaming system with the capability to do an SL/ASL scenario so I thought I would ask.

Hey Rookie!

LTNS to you too. What have you been up to? I've been playing a lot of ASL the last couple of years on weekends. Still do the flight sims but not much until late as my wife and I now have a 14 month old boy. He's definitely going to be an ASLer. We'll have to hook up. :)

Derek

Derek,

Not much. Drop me an email and we'll hook up for a few PBEM's... <My correct email is listed in my profile>

Congrats on the Son. I am sure you will indoctrinate him correctly smile.gif Soon he will be wiping the floor with you in H2H. My 6 year old Godson can whup me in H2H Nascar frown.gif

Either he is really good or I suck. I hope its the former wink.gif

-Bob

I second the idea of translating ASL scenarios to CM.

How about Kurhaus Clash, it is my favourite scenario in Yanks!

I will try a translation as soon as I get my copy...which may take a while still...

Epée

Brazil

Actually, not only CM was based on ASL, but Close Combat was too. As I recall, Avalon Hill contracted Atomic to design a computer version of ASL, but there was a disagreement as to how to proceed. Seeing some of "Doug's" posts over on the Close Combat message boards I can see where Avalon Hill and Atomic may have had a falling out smile.gif Combat Mission was Avalon Hill's next attempt to "computerize" ASL and appears to be a little more faithful to the spirit of the board game. I guess when AH was bought out by Hasbro they didn't want to continue their relationship with Big Time Software - or vice versa. ASL never really did armor very well, although it did the best it could in a turn based format. The simultaneous execution really helps armor act a little more "realistic". I have to admit that when my friends and I heard that Big Time Software was working on this we chuckled ... we didn't think the name of the company inspired confidence smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Epée:

I second the idea of translating ASL scenarios to CM.

How about Kurhaus Clash, it is my favourite scenario in Yanks!

I will try a translation as soon as I get my copy...which may take a while still...

Epée

Brazil<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Count me in for ASL conversions. I know a couple of REAL HARDCORE ASL players. (You know the type, they never reference the rules or charts!) I'm trying hard to get them into CM.

------------------

And if ever we English had reason to bless

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

In the mysterious beta tester way of speaking....

It has been done....

Will let the designer say which ones he has done, as I think he is saving them up for a tourney surprise...

Rune

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

Count me in for ASL conversions. I know a couple of REAL HARDCORE ASL players. (You know the type, they never reference the rules or charts!) I'm trying hard to get them into CM.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great!

I would love to kick some HARDCORE ASL player's butts in this game.....

Tell them the challenge has been laid down by arm chair generals who LOVE this game like me.

I have looked at ALS but it was WAY too complicated for me. But this game makes all the rules and hit tables EASY and all you have to do is focus on GREAT tactics and there is NO cheating, and no fat tabby cat messing up the units, and NO "diddling" with unit counters and the Fog of War is GREAT here.

I hope all the Hard core fans of ASL will join us for the best Post D-Day tactical battles of their lives using this WONDERFUL game!

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has already been discussed behind the scenes ( and yes you can take it that I'm involved in some way wink.gif ).

IF there are old-time ASL players out there who are interested in basically converting ASL scenarios ( as much as is possible since ASL and CM don't interconvert perfectly) and in writing articles about conversion etc etc then please feel free to drop me a line.

One thing though, neither Matt nor I have the time or knowledge to run such a section and do all the writing for it so if you're interested in providing content let me know and I'll see what I can do about hooking the right people up together.

I'll say more privately if I'm emailed.

When I played with the beta demo, the first thing that came to mind was a SL/ASl conversion. I imagine Fionne is correct that CM is not a perfect fit, but it's got to be the closest thing out there. A hell of lot better than any of the SP's or CC's. Really, did we even have to ask if some one would make SL/ASL scenarios? biggrin.gif

Pig