Adding ammo to supply trucks from supply dumps

Pericles

Is it possible to add ammo to supply trucks from supply dumps?

Playing the TOC scenario and wanted to add Ukranian ammo to a LMTV supply truck from the supply dumps at the TOC in an effort to re-supply northern Ukranian forces. Unable to "Acquire" from truck. Dismounting driver and passenger to "Acquire" and putting them back in the truck does not allow for ammo sharing with passengers (ammo is not added to truck's inventory, but rather is fixed with the driver and passenger.

My guess is that this is not possible. 

1 hour ago, Pericles said:

Good to know, thanks for the Intel. 

Yeah unfortunately all the Ukr vehicles at that defensive location are I believe destroyed so you can’t hop in and grab ammo.  One of the reasons for getting them US support early besides getting those intelligence prospects back to base. Kind of the motivation to either get the UKR QRF to send some vehicles or wait for supply convoy. 

Edited by sburke

Should be called the "BTR and its < 60 seconds of Doom b4 it's out of HE ammo".  Ammo conservation is a big part of TOC.  One needs to decide on a strategy for resupply.  eg:  Do you send units back to base to resupply from dumps or from vehicles?  Sending units back to base takes valuable time.  But if you exhaust vehicle ammo supply then you are in trouble if your units run out while at remote locations etc.  

That BTR and I became very good friends (I used it to finish fights rather than start them), I became so fond of it that I looked for a 1/72 kit of it, but the closest I could get was this.....So I bought it (& a bit of aftermarket to make it look sexier):

ace72175.jpg

The only vehicles I had ammo shortages with were the Mk.19 armed Strykers.  :unsure:

Am puzzled.  The Mk 19's can fire for a while with their ammo loadout as their rate of fire is not fast for more than a couple of seconds bursts.  IIRC the BTR has about 360 rounds of HE but can fire the lot in under a minute.  My best effort was to try and limit area fires to 5 seconds - quite tricky and hard to accomplish with waypoints and QUICK or REVERSE moves.  

The other issue with the BTR is that it can go through the MG ammo quite quickly as well when Area Firing.  My SOP is now to never give MG ammo from the BTR to inf.  Let the BTR keep it all for its own use.

The Mk.19 Strykers tended to spot targets at fairly long ranges and hurl a lot of grenades at them often to fairly little effect, thus burning their ammo supply......For my next run through I will reserve them for pulverizing known dug-in targets, much as I did with the 'BTRoD!' in earlier runs. 

PS - I begged @MOS:96B2P for a Stryker MGS, but to no avail AFAIK.  :(

PPS - The one thing I did run out of frequently was mortar rounds.....At one point I was down to about a dozen PGMs (reserved for a particular unit that was thoroughly getting on my tits) and some smoke!  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The Mk.19 Strykers tended to spot targets at fairly long ranges and hurl a lot of grenades at them often to fairly little effect, thus burning their ammo supply......For my next run through I will reserve them for pulverizing known dug-in targets, much as I did with the 'BTRoD!' in earlier runs.

As someone currently on the receiving end of said hail of grenades I beg to differ. I hate getting hit by them. A nice spread of grenades causes casualties to seen and unseen squads and the odd hit on IFVs can be deadly.

Found it much easier to run out of BTR ammo due to its high rate of fire.  The Mk19 fires in salvos, so uses less ammo in a 15 second firing cycle than the BTR.  Also I agree with Ian, they can be very deadly and one often doesn't see the damage it causes to the enemy.  I do often however, put the Mk 19 on restricted arc as it has the bad habit of ignoring nearby friendlies and hitting them as well.

Perhaps the issue is picking the "right sort of target" for each weapons system.  

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Perhaps the issue is picking the "right sort of target" for each weapons system.

This exactly.....Range is often a big factor in making the decision whether to fire or not, that Mk.19 is awesome at short range against IDed targets, the grenades all hit the house & everyone dies!  On the other hand, over the course of a couple of hours long-range sprays of grenades against teams in the treeline can really add up, leaving you short when the **** really hits the fan.  I plan on issuing all the Mk.19 Strykers to the Engineers & Co. HQ in my next run, my patrol Strykers will be .50cal only.

36 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I plan on issuing all the Mk.19 Strykers to the Engineers & Co. HQ in my next run, my patrol Strykers will be .50cal only.

Not a bad idea actually. 

Altho' in recapturing Uhniv, I tried to rely mostly on area fire from the 3 US 1st Platoon Strykers and they are now down to 700-800 x 50 cal rounds each.  (I think they start with 1500-1900 rounds?)   The area fire tactic works to save lives however, as this time my US 1st Platoon has suffered only 3 casualties in the Uhniv assaults.   

Strykers are so good at spotting that I find you can put them in overwatch, commence your manoeuvres against Uhniv and they will systematically kill anyone so foolish as to fire at your men. 

In one play through some imbecile in a teeny weeny little house decided to open up on one of my squads, with Strykers in plain sight on two sides of him.....Seeing those rounds ripping through all four walls of the building was a great reminder of why a 100 year old (almost) gun is still so popular today!  ;)