Nvidia quadro vs GTX

Does anyone have any experience of quadro and/or gtx? Been doing some research into graphics cards and from what I've read the quadro is optimized for open GL for use on drawing programs like Cad. Just wondered if anyone had noticed if there was a positive or negative effect in CM? 

18 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

Combat Mission is CPU limited.  Over the years I have played it on GTX 580, GTX 680, GTX 980 and now GTX 1080.  There has been no positive improvement in frame rate across all those GPUs.

Well this is good news. I can buy pretty much any old card and I'm laughing. 

20 hours ago, Jock Tamson said:

Combat Mission is CPU limited.  Over the years I have played it on GTX 580, GTX 680, GTX 980 and now GTX 1080.  There has been no positive improvement in frame rate across all those GPUs.

I would say CM is engine limited. After certain point no matter what you throw at it the frame rate doesn't move an inch(frame?). Law of diminishing returns gets pretty rough after card like 1050ti.

Edited by The_MonkeyKing

On 3/15/2018 at 1:34 PM, The_MonkeyKing said:

I would say CM is engine limited. After certain point no matter what you throw at it the frame rate doesn't move an inch(frame?). Law of diminishing returns gets pretty rough after card like 1050ti.

I wouldn't agree.  If I downclock the CPU, the frame rate will drop.  I cannot run my CPU higher than 4.7Ghz so I have never been able to "throw anything more at it", however I imagine I would see a bit of an improvement @5Ghz.

But what won't improve it is very powerful GPUs, which was the OP's question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.3.2018 at 10:18 PM, Cheltster said:

Does anyone have any experience of quadro and/or gtx? Been doing some research into graphics cards and from what I've read the quadro is optimized for open GL for use on drawing programs like Cad. Just wondered if anyone had noticed if there was a positive or negative effect in CM? 

On 14.3.2018 at 6:22 PM, Cheltster said:

Well this is good news. I can buy pretty much any old card and I'm laughing. 

Well, not really. I used an old CAD computer until recently, with a fairly powerful Quadro-Card and was fairly dissppointed. I replaced the Quadro with an old GTX570, which was quite an improvement. Can‘t remember the details, but somehow the CAD-cards are missing a hardware component, that game cards have. Or something like that...

20 hours ago, Cheltster said:

Well I bought an old gtx 560ti so hopefully that should be sufficient. 

Don‘t try to play the CMFB „falling snow“ scenarios or any real large scenario and you should be fine. In case of the large scenarios: Set all graphics requirements to minimum and it still should work somehow. Not nice, but playable.

• 8 months later...

Fwiw I upgraded from a GT260 to GTX750 on my 1st Gen i7 a few years back and noticed a massive improvement in CM gaming. I was able to Max out settings for once. But that is going from a low end card.

I now have night blade with gtx 1080 8gb and of course CM plays like dream because of the processing speed alone. I suppose if it's a 4km map of just buildings you would still get a lag at ground level but that still happens in the shooters I play that are maximized.