http://pegasusbridgethemovie.com/

On 6.6.2017 at 2:08 PM, para said:

I anyone is intersted a new movie about this amazing operation is due out late 2017 early 2018

Most certainly. There seems to be a lot of new good stuff in the pipeline. I am eagerly waiting for "Dunkirk". And recently, I read that Emmerich plans a new "Midway" movie. If nothing else, the latter one will be a great explosives show.

32 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Most certainly. There seems to be a lot of new good stuff in the pipeline. I am eagerly waiting for "Dunkirk". And recently, I read that Emmerich plans a new "Midway" movie. If nothing else, the latter one will be a great explosives show.

I heard about those too and a second Operation Anthropoid movie is due out next month.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3296908/

Strange...  This is another "locally" produced film on the same subject.  My sense after watching the first movie is that the country is desperate to show that they resisted the Nazis rather than collaborated in the murder of so many Jews and others.  It's like they want to rewrite history to show that their country was a victim as well.  Nowadays, everyone was in the Resistance...

Am thinking that the UK films that came out recently, or are coming out, that cement the UK claim of inventing TV and Radar etc. are also part of a Brit cultural effort to ensure that the correct people get the credit in history.  (Otherwise one tends to see Hwd movies showing that the US won the war single-handedly etc.  Eg the capture of U-110 and the Enigma by the Brits was turned into a US movie showing how they captured the U-boat.)

What do you mean ''Am thinking that the UK films that came out recently, or are coming out, that cement the UK claim of inventing TV and Radar etc. are also part of a Brit cultural effort to ensure that the correct people get the credit in history''

1 hour ago, para said:

What do you mean ''Am thinking that the UK films that came out recently, or are coming out, that cement the UK claim of inventing TV and Radar etc. are also part of a Brit cultural effort to ensure that the correct people get the credit in history''

I mean that the films themselves are not that interesting.  But, they are creating a historical narrative for future generations as to who did/invented what when.  And even the U-Boat capture wasn't the whole Enigma story. It was the Poles who smuggled out parts of an Enigma machine to the Brits long b4 the U-Boat one was captured.  But, no movies about the Poles' brave efforts...  (yet...)

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

I mean that the films themselves are not that interesting.  But, they are creating a historical narrative for future generations as to who did/invented what when.  And even the U-Boat capture wasn't the whole Enigma story. It was the Poles who smuggled out parts of an Enigma machine to the Brits long b4 the U-Boat one was captured.  But, no movies about the Poles' brave efforts...  (yet...)

I cant think of any recent movies made in the UK by the British with British money that are creating the narrative you suggest.

Personally i think Britains war effort is being erased by hollywood.

Wasnt the U-boat Enigma a complete machine and not parts?

Edited by para

I just saw a week or so ago a movie about how the Brits invented Radar ("Castles In The Sky").   It wasn't that gripping dramatically, but was interesting to learn about and see credit going to the correct people (who IIRC were officially "neglected" after the war as they didn't go to the right schools etc.).

A year or two ago there was a movie about Turing who invented the computer (and was then hounded to suicide).  

"Personally i think Britains war effort is being erased by hollywood."   Yes, that's my point.  The dominant culture gets to write/rewrite history to its own benefit.

And the Poles are now making their claim as well:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215003/Secrets-Enigma-code-cracked-Polish-Brits-MPs-claim.html

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

I just saw a week or so ago a movie about how the Brits invented Radar ("Castles In The Sky").   It wasn't that gripping dramatically, but was interesting to learn about and see credit going to the correct people (who IIRC were officially "neglected" after the war as they didn't go to the right schools etc.).

A year or two ago there was a movie about Turing who invented the computer (and was then hounded to suicide).  

"Personally i think Britains war effort is being erased by hollywood."   Yes, that's my point.  The dominant culture gets to write/rewrite history to its own benefit.

And the Poles are now making their claim as well:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215003/Secrets-Enigma-code-cracked-Polish-Brits-MPs-claim.html

I see where you are coming from now Erwin..totally agree

On 6.6.2017 at 2:08 PM, para said:

I anyone is intersted a new movie about this amazing operation is due out late 2017 early 2018

I had a look at YouTube last night, but could not really figure out, what this movie would be in the end: Just a "making of" and collection of re-enacting scenes, or a proper movie made from that?

Edited by StieliAlpha

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

I had a look at YouTube last night, but could not really figure out, what this movie would be in the end: Just a "making of" and collection of re-enacting scenes, or a proper movie made from that?

From the faq page it comes across as a full blown movie.

On June 7, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Erwin said:

I just saw a week or so ago a movie about how the Brits invented Radar...

They didn't quite invent radar, that was the Germans during the First World War. But the Germans didn't get very far with it at the time. What the Brits did do was to radically improve it during the 1930s, with the Germans not too very far behind and everybody else lagging way behind. The other thing that the Brits did first that was very important was to integrate radar into a comprehensive detection, command and control system.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

Hmmm...  The Brit film didn't mention the German's accomplishment - how odd...   ;)

I also recently saw what I think was a Brit film about how they were way ahead on Nuclear research and they gave it all to the Yanks as that was the only reason the Yanks were able to make a bomb in the end.  So, the Atomic Age was all thanks to the Brits giving away their secrets to the US as the Yanks had the Brits over a barrel re WW2 lendlease etc. and squeeeezed the Brits dry...   

The big race is on to establish credit in a historical narrative.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

also recently saw what I think was a Brit film about how they were way ahead on Nuclear research and they gave it all to the Yanks as that was the only reason the Yanks were able to make a bomb in the end.

A grain of truth with a lot of exaggeration and distortion wrapped around it. As soon as the cat was out of the bag that the Germans had fissioned a uranium sample with a huge release of energy, a lot of people began thinking about bombs. In 1939 Leo Szilard approached FDR with a letter signed by Einstein raising the topic. As a result, Roosevelt authorized research into the possibility of such a bomb. However, not much was actually done prior to Pearl Harbor. In 1942 Churchill sent a delegation of British scientists to the US with a host of technological goodies including the cavity magnetron, the proximity fuse, and oh yes their Tube Alloys research to date. The latter eventually got folded into the Manhattan Project. It was helpful, but the lion's share of the work was done right here by scientists already residing in the US including some star physicists who had been forced to leave Germany or other countries that had fallen under the baleful influence of Nazism. Cf. Richard Rhodes' The Making of the Atomic Bomb for a fairly comprehensive history and also The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb which fills in some of the details missing from the earlier account.

Michael