AI vs AI

5 hours ago, aldwin said:

I thought I read that this game you CANNOT set the AI to fight the AI, is this correct? Is it that way for all the CMx2 games?

There is no AI in this game to make enemy troops move (apart from fleeing when under heavy fire). When you see enemy troops move, it's because the human scenario designer has chosen that the unit should move to some determined point at some determined time.

3 hours ago, weta_nz said:

It would be nice to create to AI scripts/plans and then watch the 'AI' fight it out :) 

Having the option to include friendly ( player side ) AI plans in a scenario would be an intresting thing to try.

- a company sized attack where the player acts as a platoon comander, commanding a single platoon, the rest of the company is handled by the friendly AI. The player will need to achive both the platoon specific objectives as well as being tasked with suppporting the rest of the company as good as he can.

- a friendly infantry battalion is attacking an enemy held village. The player is commanding a StuG unit tasked with assisting the attack.

It would be intresting to try and make scenarios like these but i guess that some sort of new feature that would allow the designer to include radio transmissions from the AI controlled frienlies to be displayed on the screen might be neccesary to describe the friendly AIs intentions at various parts of the battle. 

I like that idea 

2 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

Having the option to include friendly ( player side ) AI plans in a scenario would be an intresting thing to try.

- a company sized attack where the player acts as a platoon comander, commanding a single platoon, the rest of the company is handled by the friendly AI. The player will need to achive both the platoon specific objectives as well as being tasked with suppporting the rest of the company as good as he can.

- a friendly infantry battalion is attacking an enemy held village. The player is commanding a StuG unit tasked with assisting the attack.

It would be intresting to try and make scenarios like these but i guess that some sort of new feature that would allow the designer to include radio transmissions from the AI controlled frienlies to be displayed on the screen might be neccesary to describe the friendly AIs intentions at various parts of the battle. 

Says the fella who doesn't write AI scripts!  :o

Actually it's a great idea, but the workload that utilising it would create for scenario designers is not insignificant (but there a plenty of folks, including me, who would definitely use it)!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

but the workload that utilising it would create for scenario designers is not insignificant

This is most certanly true. I agree.

Many times the friendly AI part in a scenario would not need to be all that great though.

- a player controlled company sized force is tasked with securing a river crossing while a friendly AI group, consisting of an engineer platoon, blows up the bridge before withdrawing.

- a player controlled company is tasked with securing an area to allow an AI controlled supply convoy to  pass through.

Things like these.

Or a computer controlled friendly platoon gets blown to smithereens by an IED (as a warning) rather than one of the player's own.....Oh yeah, if you could do it, it would definitely be done!  ;)

This and a third neutral 'Grey Force' could make the game much more interesting and would allow scenario designers much more scope for creativity.....Are those friendly locals approaching, or is it actually cover for an ISIS suicide-team?  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead