What would you play if CM didn't exist ?

dima

I hate to admit it, since it's drawn so much fire, but for me, before CM, there was Close Combat III. I repent - I await CM2 with open arms. But, that was my (flawed, tactical) touchstone before CM. My strategic touchstone, not yet equalled and not likely to be soon, is still AH's Russian Front (a nice, innovative, system).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

I would rather play with my huge 'Thingey'

It is twice as big and twice as interesting as any of your silly games.

So "Nerrr" to you all..(with knobs on)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it's obvious what you do with your spare time!

Didn't your father ever tell you to stop it, otherwise you'll end up blind! wink.gif

Mace

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 11-23-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dima:

I am serious ! Is there anything out there coming close to CM ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You Bet your god damn ass there is, But I am a selfish bitch so I'm keeping it to myself.

* Highly Classified Information *

------------------

"What about those other a**holes? Mark IV? jdmorose? OldGimpyStumpoFile? Yak2? PatBoone? Gerbilboy?"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

Tease! wink.gif

Mace

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

who moi? A Tease! don't know where you got that idea from rolleyes.gif

------------------

"What about those other a**holes? Mark IV? jdmorose? OldGimpyStumpoFile? Yak2? PatBoone? Gerbilboy?"

[This message has been edited by YK2 (edited 11-23-2000).]

Will buy BG2 and Europa Universalis.

Possibly also Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter.

If I found out a way to get paid without having to work I'd get Championship Manager 00/01 in a jiffy.

------------------

Johan

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

Potty mouth. =)

K

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A classic case of the Pot calling the Kettle?

Miawooooooooooooooo

biggrin.gif

------------------

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hey, I think you may wish to try out HPS's Panzer Campaign series (quite close to the scale of West Front). The designer was the one for Talonsoft's Battleground series (sorry can't remember the name of that gentleman ).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanx for the suggestion, Griffin, I agree that those three games by John Tiller are excellent work. However, to me the scale (operational, battalion sized units, 1 km hexes, 2 hour turns) is just a bit more than I prefer, so they didn't quite make my top list.

FWIW, there's a table comparing the scales of some WWII wargames at http://www.dragon-isle.net/TheBunker/wargames.html.

I probably would have finished Deus Ex sooner. Along with CM I play Baldur's Gate 2

with small fixes of Enemy Engaged(EECH),Combat FS 2, Railroad Tycoon 2.

I must admit, I think I will be putting everything aside, except CM of course, for B-17 2---Yeahhhhh babyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

It's on its way care of the Brits.

------------------

What do you know about surfing, you're from New Jersey !

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goonch:

I probably would have finished Deus Ex sooner. Along with CM I play Baldur's Gate 2

with small fixes of Enemy Engaged(EECH),Combat FS 2, Railroad Tycoon 2.

I must admit, I think I will be putting everything aside, except CM of course, for B-17 2---Yeahhhhh babyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

It's on its way care of the Brits.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B-17 II? You mean that game by Has-blow? Are you sure you wanna waste your money on that one? With Hasblows record as of late, I am not gonna buy any of their crap from now on.

Interesting that there are lots of Urban Ops players here (myself included).

There is only one other game that I regularly play: The orignal 'X-COM: Ufo Defence'. An oldie (1994?) but one hell of a goody. Not really comparable to CM except for its ability to make you truly connect with your soldiers and scream along with them as they die horribly.

GAFF

Actually, now that I think about it, I played Age of Empires II and Need for Speed IV: High Stakes before CM arrived just to fill in the time gap. My buddy did bring over Shogun: Total War and I played that for about a week or so and haven't been back to it since, in fact I deleted that 1+ GB monstrosity. Nothing seems to hold my interest as much as CM does.

I may reinstall it 'cause I saw a show on Discovery-World that talked about feudal Japan and its Samuri Warriors. wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

Interesting that there are lots of Urban Ops players here (myself included).

There is only one other game that I regularly play: The orignal 'X-COM: Ufo Defence'. An oldie (1994?) but one hell of a goody. Not really comparable to CM except for its ability to make you truly connect with your soldiers and scream along with them as they die horribly.

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that sentiment.

I have the newer XCOM here, I played it once I think. It isn't as engaging as the oldie.

In the old game, I finished with a bang: I sent a missile down a corridor, up a level, did a 180 degree turn and sent it right in the middle of the room. There was a huge explosion, and the game ended.

biggrin.gif

PATBOIVIN: Gotta love X-COM. I despised Apocalypse - it took all of the scare out of the game.

I still remember the time when one of my troops went berserk while still on the ramp of the dropship. She did a 180 and fired her rocket launcher right into it, frying 6 other troopers and herself. Much like CM, you finish a game with some great stories.

Maybe the much delayed sequel will recapture the magic.

GAFF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee:

GriffinCheng: I highly recommend you try Thief. That is one excellent game. smile.gif

Starfleet Command II will be a lot of fun, also. It will have some of the

combat options we didn't have time to put in the first one. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Lee. I almost finish Thief Gold and then -- Dues Ex arrives.

BTW, I hate zombies!

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest HENTZAU

I was sure that some of you would have mentioned Red Baron 3D. Its the CM of multiplayer and single player flight sims. It has a great community like Combat Mission does. Its free online too. You can still get it for a $20 US(what a deal)http://www.sierra.com There is a patch 1.0.7.8 that lets you see the multiplayer servers http://www.wingsofhonor.com There are many free add ons that make it look great and or improve realism. The trouble is that if you play both CM and RB3D there is no time left for anything else. I'm afraid my assimilation isn't complete yet as i'm still spending most of my time in RB3D. If I wasn't I would be here. Sacrilege i'm sorry!