Muted Velvet Touch grass is here!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah!!! subdued velvet is the sh-t! my game looked awesome...awesome awesome. thanks to you and the original grass maker!

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Whew! *shove* Gasp! Pant!

(Old Dog emerges from a mound of e-mail, looking even more old than usual)

I've sent about 25-30 of you who either posted or e-mailed me copies of the muted VT. At 2.5 meg per e-mail, my little P500 is even tired.

If I missed anyone, I apologize, but it was hard sorting through the posts and e-mails to make sure I got everyone. Some of the e-mail I sent bounced due to your server not allowing huge attachments. Hotmail doesn't allow it for example. I tried to send all of THAT group an e-mail with the link to Garry Kump's website, since he is promising everyone that he'll post it for download soon. Anyone who hasn't heard from me by now, please e-mail (rather than post please) me at:

bnptoole@bellsouth.net

...and I will get you taken care of. Thanks to everyone for their patience. Always glad to help the CM Community. smile.gif

- Old Dog

Hi guys! I need a bit of help. I can't seem to get this terrain mod to work. I downloaded the Hi-res version from Mr. Kump's site and (of course) unzipped all the .bmp's to the bmp directory in my CMBO folder. Yet, when I go to play the game all I get is the same old tired terrain textures.

I've tried running the game at different resolutions but that doesn't seem to help. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because Tiger's Firefly w/ Ablative armor mod works wonderfully.

Any help, Gents?

------------------

Check out my B-17 fiction story at:

http://www.geocities.com/cdouglasn/TFTS.html

Hi ChuckD,

First thing to check is that you have a good zip file. You can bring up the zip in Explorer, right click and select "Explore". You should see a list of BMP files numbered (I believe) 1550 through 1569. You can even click on each one to verify that it's looks appropriate. 1550 is very dark flat green, 1569 is very pale tan and yellow with a bit of green. All are 256 x 256 pixels.

If they are there, make sure you are sending them to the correct BMP folder in the CMBO directory. Lots of folks have several folders in their CMBO directory with various mods - make sure that the BMPs are heading to your current one.

Other (less likey) possibilities are that you have more than one installation of the game and you're not mod-ing the one you're running, or that you are trying to unzip to the BMP folder on the CD.

Hope that helps.

- Old Dog

Thanks for the info, but it didn't help. I've checked all of these. I have only one bmp folder in my CMBO directory as I don't have many mods. I know that mods will work because tiger's firefly mod worked. Why I can't get the grass texture to work is beyond me. Is it a possible video card issue or something along those lines?

Chuckd

------------------

Well, I just learned that its a universal problem. No matter what I try and do, CM refuses to use anything other than the default grass textures.

I just spent 1.75 hours downloading madmatt's modpack 1 and the grass textures remain unchanged in the game. In the C:\CMBO\BMP directory they are the correct, newly-downloaded files, but for some reason the game will not recognize them. I know I copied them to the right directory because the bases for scattered trees and woods are correct and look quite good.

This is frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any assistance you guys can offer.

Chuckd

------------------

ChuckD,

It's possible that this is related to your video card. Does the card only have a small amount of memory (like 4 meg)? Possibly the card can't load the proper texture files because it's out of memory (not sure about how this works, I'm guessing a bit here - anyone know for sure?)

You migh try the low res version of the files (On Kump's site) - they look nearly as good and are only 1/4 the size (128 x 128). Maybe if the problem is "fitting" them into vid memory that will solve it.

- Old Dog

YES THIS IS THE CASE.....IF HE INSTALLS THE LOW RES SET IT SHOUD BE FINE ...I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SEEING THE HI RES STUFF...SO I RENUMBERED THE HI RES GRASS TO GO IN TO THE LOW RES GRASS SET ...IT WORKS BUT I TAKE A SYSTEM HIT...

------------------

MAKE IT SHORT AND SWEET THEN GET THE F#$K OUT

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Dog:

...You migh try the low res version of the files (On Kump's site) - they look nearly as good and are only 1/4 the size (128 x 128). Maybe if the problem is "fitting" them into vid memory that will solve it.

- Old Dog<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could do that. Or, I could wait a week until I get my new monster system delivered. (1GHz, 256Ram, GeForce, etc. Purchased specifically for B-17II) smile.gif(!)

Actually, I think I will download the lo-res stuff and see how it goes. The grass textures just look too good to pass up. Thanks for all your help, Old Dog. smile.gif

Chuckd

------------------

Yo Chuck!

I believe (as usual correct me if I'm wong) CM has multiple sets of grass BMP's. One of 'em (1500-1519) is a low res version that will automatically be loaded when your hardware can't handle the standard grass.

So either you have a low-end machine, or your video card just can't handle it, or it's me who's talking out of my arse. biggrin.gif

------------------

Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der Strasse, and von vas...assaulted! peanut. Ho-ho-ho-ho.

Aaaargh!! eek.gif

Thanks for the heads up Juju.

Who knew! Two sets of grass BMPs.. that means the numbers on the low res set are WRONG... sorry guys. I'll get a revised zip to Garry soon as I can, in the meantime those of you with the low-res set can renumber 'em to 1500-1519 if you can't wait.

But... wait... IF your computer *thinks* it can handle the higher numbered set, then the new ones WON'T get loaded... so, you DON'T need to renumber unless the set doesn't load, is that about right Juju?

- Old Dog (who assumes Juju ISN'T talking out his arse)

Guest SS Peiper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Dog:

Aaaargh!! eek.gif

Thanks for the heads up Juju.

Who knew! Two sets of grass BMPs.. that means the numbers on the low res set are WRONG... sorry guys. I'll get a revised zip to Garry soon as I can, in the meantime those of you with the low-res set can renumber 'em to 1500-1519 if you can't wait.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old dog you mean 1500-1521, right because there are 21 files in the .zip

SS Peiper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

...So either you have a low-end machine, or your video card just can't handle it, or it's me who's talking out of my arse. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its one of the first two. Trust me!

My current computer is junk, but my new one is being built as I type.

I'll try renumbering the grass textures to see if that licks the problem. I'll let you guys know soon.

Chuckd

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuckd:

Ok, well, I renumbered them and this is what I got. Is it supposed to look like this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

imho

looks like u numbered them backwards, the dark green is supposed to be for lush valleys, and lighter for parched, sunny hilltops...

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 11-16-2000).]

ChuckD, I just e-mailed you a set numbered in what would logically be the correct sequence, but I can't test it here on my machine with a 32 meg vid card. Try them and let me know please. For sure you should NOT have abrupt color transitions such as appear in your picture even if the numbering sequence were backwards. (Unless BTS is using some different scheme entirely for handling elevation selection with the low-res set.)

SS Pieper, believe it's actually 20 BMPs: _0_ through 19. The 21st file is a README file in most copies (some early ones sent don't include the README.)

Lordfluffers, can't imagine why you'd be having a problem with that rig frown.gif Are you sure that you unzipped into the correct folder, etc? (See my 1st comments to ChuckD among earlier posts.)

I'm assuming that most of you who got the files are NOT having problems, correct?

- Old Dog