Ardennes movie?e

Gents

I need some help. Since a while, I have a movie in my mind, which I have seen a long time ago.

I think the cast was situated in the Ardennes. Maybe Huertgenwald, but more likely Ardennes.

The story, as I remember, was: An all winter, snowy, forest environment. A squad of GI's approaches something like a log house on an opening in the forest. Their jeep blows up on a mine, the halftrack is damaged by enemy fire (?). They make it into the building and fend off some German attacks for the rest of the night. With the usual claustrophobic, psychological stuff in between.

The movie must be from the 50's. I recall it in black and white.

And it must have made it's impression on me, since the memory obviously sit's pretty deep.

Does that ring a bell anywhere?

14 hours ago, Pak40 said:

Almost sounds like 'A Midnight Clear' but it was made in 92 and definitely not black and white.

Yeah, I stumbled over that one, too, and found it sounds like it. Maybe, I am mistaken with the black and white, because some of the 'Midnight Clear' pic's do look pretty dull 'white and dark'.

I'll give it a try on YouTube. 

On 3/10/2017 at 7:21 AM, StieliAlpha said:

Yeah, I stumbled over that one, too, and found it sounds like it. Maybe, I am mistaken with the black and white, because some of the 'Midnight Clear' pic's do look pretty dull 'white and dark'.

I'll give it a try on YouTube. 

Also, it's based on a novel which is very well written. I'd recommend it to anyone.

23 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Ok, I gave it a try, but Midnight Clear is certainly not what I remember.

Good movie, though.

I did a search on IMDB.com and came across Castle Keep. It's the same basic theme but the squad is in a Castle. I've never seen it though.

Also, I came across Attack which is not the movie you're looking for, but after reading the comments I now want to watch it.

On 13.3.2017 at 10:54 PM, Pak40 said:

Also, it's based on a novel which is very well written. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Yeah, I started reading it as Kindle book today. Good reading, indeed. So far, it reminds to "The Martian", with all those very high IQ geeks. Let's see, if that lasts...

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.3.2017 at 10:54 PM, Pak40 said:

Whoah! I just finished the book. Extremely recommendable, indeed. I am quite impressed. The best book of it's kind, which I read in a long time now. Makes one wonder, if we really should play CM.

But seriously, playing war games since a very long time now, I always found it very important to be reminded of the downside.