Polish Spec Ops fast rope, then enter "Kill House"

John Kettler

PSOF (Polish Special Operations Force) fast rope from Blackhawk and assault "Kill House" for CQB training. Believe that's an MH-60 from the renowned "Night Stalkers" of 160th SOAR. Can someone tell me why the ropes were cut instead of being hauled in, as for example, an OPERATION JUST CAUSE account I read stated?

https://www.funker530.com/in-the-kill-house-with-u-s-and-polish-spec-ops/

Regards,

John Kettler

John I doubt very much that the ropes are 'cut'. They'd be detached from the overhead anchor system by some kind of simple mechanism. Vis

http://www.patrollersupply.com/equipment/item_4696.asp

But yes, far quicker to drop the ropes:you would not want the Blackhawk to egress trailing ropes, nor would you want it to be forced to hover whilst they are pulled up.

gnarly,

A comment from a BTDT type clearly said "cut," so that's what I wrote. In any case, whoever was tending that last rope was indeed early. Fortunately, not enough to be a major issue (unless he broke his tailbone). Probably had to buy beers afterwards! As for your link, (expletive deleted), that's some expensive rope! At those prices, at least on exercises, they'd better be retrieving them.

Regards,

John Kettler

The term "cut" is metaphorical.  They are indeed released, not cut.  Those ropes aren't cheap and deliberately damaging them is just dumb, especially when the mechanical system holding them in is fairly straightforward.  KISS principle.

As for retrieval, I remember in the Black Hawk Down book they talked about some well intentioned soldier basically sprinting into the middle of the street to retrieve the ropes in the middle of the firefight because they were told to retrieve them because they were indeed so expensive.  His colleagues knocked some sense into him shortly after, but it's an amusing scene.

Codename Duchess,

Aren't cheap. At $1183.00 each, I'll say! Good thing I don't have cardiac issues, for that price tag could've triggered one for sure. As it was it was like being hit, coupled with abrupt cessation of breathing briefly. Not in my worst nightmare did I ever imagine such an astronomic price for a rope. Ropes (at gnarly's above ink) are listed below the horrendously pricey rope attachment point, which is rated for 12 men, though it doesn't say whether or not they're in full battle rattle. Seems to me that would be good to know before purchase. Speaking of pricey, brother Ed, who'll be renting an ex-PLAAF Nanchang CJ-6,  gave me the crash course on the service life, care and feeding of parachutes and parachute packs. A parachute, bizarrely, costs about what a rope does. If you're going to fly aerobatics, then you have to have a parachute. I find it very hard to imagine how something as simple as a rope can cost what a complex device with a bunch of disparate parts does.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

However, leaving the ropes compromises inserts. See Operation Red Wings/"The Sole Survivor". The chopper did some fake inserts before and after dropping the SEALs, but at the actual site, following training habit patters, as soon as the last SEAL hit the ground, the helo crew released the ropes, leaving solid evidence for later foot patrols. (Probably a moot point, what with the shepherds and all...)

The actual inserts are highly risky and need overwatch in case there is any ground fire. Fast roping has a place, as does landing and getting more guys out the doors faster.