51 minutes ago, Widukind said:

Each HQ have an  sub-agent  and an staff (XO). What are the effect of them in the game?

To take over if the CO becomes a casualty. For example a US company has an HQ unit and an XO unit. If the Captain in the HQ unit becomes a casualty then the XO will take over the company. His unit even gets the HQ icon once the switch is made. The behaviour is similar for other formations too.

Also, if I am correct, the XO can serve as a liaison to a formation with a different chain of command. Say that you have units from an infantry company and units from an armored company. If you locate the XOs with the HQs of their brother formations, intel gets shared more quickly between the two formations. Although I have played around with this, I have not rigorously tested to see if in fact it is the case. However, others have posted that it is so and they have been individuals who normally can be trusted about such things. (But don't leave them unsupervised with your beer stash. ;) )

Michael

"if I am correct, the XO can serve as a liaison to a formation with a different chain of command."

It would be good if the XO's and Brit 2IC's actually have a mission other than being a back-up for CO.  Anyone confirm this?

Generally XO's and 2IC's get used merely as recon or medics which seems wrong.

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

"if I am correct, the XO can serve as a liaison to a formation with a different chain of command."

It would be good if the XO's and Brit 2IC's actually have a mission other than being a back-up for CO.  Anyone confirm this?

Generally XO's and 2IC's get used merely as recon or medics which seems wrong.

Two useful and already mentioned functions of the XO teams in the game are Liaison for C2 & back-up for the CO.  In addition some XO teams have binoculars and the authority to call for artillery.  This makes them very useful as spotters.  On the attack I usually send the company XO team with a lead maneuver platoon. When the platoon comes into contact and needs indirect fire the XO team handles.  This allows the platoon HQ to stay with the fire teams, handle C2 and attempt to continue the advance. The XO team is the team that remains stationary and does the Hide, un-Hide routine to call in the spotting rounds and get a good support mission.  After the XO team has the indirect mission firing it catches up with the platoon.  Often the XO team can adjust the first indirect fire mission onto a new problem the maneuver platoon has come across (max duration, light missions).  This is generally the best use I have found for the XO teams.  Not as quick as a dedicated FO team but much cheaper in a PBEM QB.       

Edited by MOS:96B2P

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, Michael Emrys said:

... (But don't leave them unsupervised with your beer stash. ;) )

No one can be trusted with a beer stash. ;)

( although, I keep a beer stash purely to distract and divert people who might otherwise aim for my champagne and wine stash :wub: )

I've just made a quick test using the following setup...

Area : gently sloping grasslands bisected by a patch of heavy forest (A December Morning - no snow, clear conditions, near the Allied deployment zone)

Units : 1st Bat. HQ team (radio), 1st Bat. Ops team, A Coy. HQ team (radio)

I sent the 1st Bat. HQ and Ops teams to the forested area. The C2 link between 1st Bat. and A Coy. was eventually broken, but resumed as Radio when 1st Bat. HQ stopped moving (expected behavior). I then sent the Ops team towards the A Coy HQ team while keeping an eye on the C2 status of both the Ops team and the company HQ and while keeping the battalion team in constant movement. Even while the Ops team had C2 with their HQ and was in close proximity/clear line-of-sight with the company HQ, the C2 remained broken (except when the battalion HQ team stopped moving between waypoints as the soldiers wiggled and crawled their way into a proper formation).

I'm a bit confused because I have definitely read both viewpoints : "assistant" teams provide C2 relay and "assistant" teams do not provide C2 relay. I don't know whether I experienced a bug or that the latter affirmation is true. Logic would dictate that a specially trained unit would be able to relay orders and information.

2 hours ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

<Snip> I sent the 1st Bat. HQ and Ops teams to the forested area. The C2 link between 1st Bat. and A Coy. was eventually broken, but resumed as Radio when 1st Bat. HQ stopped moving (expected behavior). I then sent the Ops team towards the A Coy HQ team while keeping an eye on the C2 status of both the Ops team and the company HQ and while keeping the battalion team in constant movement. Even while the Ops team had C2 with their HQ and was in close proximity/clear line-of-sight with the company HQ, the C2 remained broken (except when the battalion HQ team stopped moving between waypoints as the soldiers wiggled and crawled their way into a proper formation).  I'm a bit confused because I have definitely read both viewpoints : "assistant" teams provide C2 relay and "assistant" teams do not provide C2 relay. I don't know whether I experienced a bug or that the latter affirmation is true. Logic would dictate that a specially trained unit would be able to relay orders and information.

There is an in game difference between HQ teams and XO/2IC teams.  As long as the CO is alive the only authority a XO team might have is to call for artillery.  The XO team does not participate in the chain of command unless the CO is KIA (kind of like Game of Thrones).  As an example page 67 of engine manual 4 relates that a company HQ team can provide voice and close visual contact to a fire team when the platoon HQ is unavailable.  This is possible for HQ teams not XO teams and is why your 1st Bat. Ops team was unable to provide C2 to Alfa Company.

Also you may be thinking of section HQ teams that are in some on map medium mortar platoons.  Page 70 of engine manual 4 relates that section HQs enable the mortar platoon to spread out over a greater distance by extending the C2 chain of command between the mortar platoon HQ and the mortar teams.  However these section HQs are still considered HQ teams not XO/2IC teams.

I like the way you isolated the type of C2 by keeping the Bn. HQ moving so the Bn. radio would drop off the net.  Interesting stuff.   Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

There is an in game difference between HQ teams and XO/2IC teams.  As long as the CO is alive the only authority a XO team might have is to call for artillery.  The XO team does not participate in the chain of command unless the CO is KIA (kind of like Game of Thrones).  As an example page 67 of engine manual 4 relates that a company HQ team can provide voice and close visual contact to a fire team when the platoon HQ is unavailable.  This is possible for HQ teams not XO teams and is why your 1st Bat. Ops team was unable to provide C2 to Alfa Company.

Also you may be thinking of section HQ teams that are in some on map medium mortar platoons.  Page 70 of engine manual 4 relates that section HQs enable the mortar platoon to spread out over a greater distance by extending the C2 chain of command between the mortar platoon HQ and the mortar teams.  However these section HQs are still considered HQ teams not XO/2IC teams.

I like the way you isolated the type of C2 by keeping the Bn. HQ moving so the Bn. radio would drop off the net.  Interesting stuff.   Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. My initial assumption was that an assistant HQ team (Ops, XO, 2IC) would be able to extend the range of an HQ team's (non-electronic) C2 capabilities, not necessarily provide C2 to other units on its own, just act as a relay, that is : if an assistant team is in C2, whatever team that is either in audio or visual range of the assistant team would also be in the C2 chain. I was also aware of the status of Section HQ teams as full-on links in the C2 chain.

9 hours ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

<Snip> My initial assumption was that an assistant HQ team (Ops, XO, 2IC) would be able to extend the range of an HQ team's (non-electronic) C2 capabilities <Snip> 

In real life of course this is possible but in the game, for whatever reason, the Ops, XO, 2IC teams can't be used this way.  This is interesting information since topics come up every so often about how best to employ the Ops/XO/2IC teams.  The best general use I have found for the XO/2IC teams is posted about five posts above. The problem with my method is not all XO/2IC teams have artillery calling authority.     

• 2 weeks later...