Questions on muzzle breaks

RLW

2 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

and  blask risk to near by infantry`?

No

And this constitutes a moderately serious breakdown of realism. After about 1942, being close to a tank's forward half circle while it is firing its main gun was sort of like standing close to a grenade when it goes off, save for the absence of fragments. It was one of the factors discouraging exposed personnel from hanging around too close to them when fighting was going on. As the war went on and guns got bigger and packed more propellant, this got worse. Troops in the forward quarter of a tank and within, say, twenty meters, should undergo a minute or two of stunned suppression.

Michael

I think you will want to be talking about muzzle brakes. As in a brake (for the recoil) at the muzzle. 

The risk to infantry of a muzzle break would be shrapnel!

And: just one of the necessary simplifications. You know that friendly fire goes through tanks? HE effect is reduced to allow for game engine driven restrictions of. Troops spreading out? There are more. I think self damage would be a whole can of worms. Want your area fire commands cancelled because the firing unit is worried about friendlies in LOF? 

15 hours ago, Wicky said:

Plus it would be problematic to code for enemy AI controlled tactics if armour was restricted in firing due to the proximity of crunchies in the vicinity.

I don't think that was much of a consideration in the war. The tankers fired if and when they pleased and the crunchies looked out for themselves as best they could. I expect that oftentimes the tankers could not have told you where the crunchies were in their vicinity in any kind of comprehensive way.

Michael

I think the issue of modelling the effects of muzzle blast is a non-issue. The primary effects were dust being kicked up, which is modelled. Remember that a lot of friendly fire is not modeled in CM, and I chalk this up as being another example of that. 

As to the video, I really liked it. Saw it some weeks ago and found it very informative. Yeah, Lindy tends to talk a lot, but I honestly enjoy it. He covers topics very thoroughly which I appreciate. If I wanted a 20 second run down I could just wiki it after all.