Funny War Ad

Guest Pillar

Wow. That has to be one of the most offensive ads I've ever seen. Hell...I've never even been offended by an add before. Maybe offended is a harsh term since I am no combat vet. But I would have to question their taste in choosing that ad.

Pretty pathetic in my book. I wonder what amputees from the wars would think.

I'm gonna have to add my voice to those who think that ad is in highly questionable taste, vets or no vets. However, I too am gonna add this link to my favorites. I think one can get a pretty good idea of a country's 'world view' (there's a German word for this, but I'm afraid I'm gonna misspell it) by the kind of TV ads it makes. So thanks for the link!

DeanCo--

Thats one of those that you go, "thats sick/offensive" at the same time you snicker and grin. Has this ad run anywhere yet?

------------------

"Really they’re quite fearful—that’s my theory. They see us on stage with tight trousers. We’ve got, you know, armadillos in our trousers. I mean it’s really quite frightening ... the size ... and and they, they run screaming."

N.Tufnel

This ad is a slap in the face to veterans. If they were trying to be funny they failed miserably.

I am sure that each veteran that has been wounded was not thinking of having a Jim Beam.

I am contacting Jim Beam and let them have my 2 cents worth.

Steven K. Dixon

Sgt. USMC 1975 -1979

------------------

Webmaster

http://www.trailblazersww2.org

http://www.vmfa251.org

I found it pretty offensive as well. I like the odd black humour myself but I'm very surprised that a brand like Jim Beam would consent to such an ad. I didn't crack a smile. Imagine if, in the middle of Saving Private Ryan, it turned into a smoking ad. Not good.

------------------

----

To download my scenarios: go to

http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm

Get to work! You're a student at one of Canada's most prestigious universities! Don't blow it by wasting your time posting this macabre stuff to a mere game site! You have your whole life ahead of you!

And send me a setup, any conditions you like.

I laughed a little, but I knew I shouldn't have.

Wait a minute, an ad about two guys getting amputated for a shot of whiskey isn't funny but all the Max Molinaro stuff is? All the macabre comments on this board, using the simulated deaths and injuries of men, is acceptable but this ad isn't? Maybe I don't see it but I'd love to know how you differentiate between what is an acceptable use of the imagery of war and what isn't because right now you guys sound like a bunch of soccer moms to me.

------------------

Seen in the light of evolution, biology is, perhaps, intellectually the most satisfying and inspiring science. Without that light it becomes a pile of sundry facts—some of them interesting or curious but making no meaningful picture as a whole.

-Theodosius Dobzhansky, "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:

After 4 calls to Jim Beam I was told that Young and Rubicam did the ad. I asked for a number was told politely that they didn't have one.

Right....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://yr.com/global/contact/

------------------

----

Well said Elijah. Its called hypocrisy, actually, and it is a bit frustrating to see. The point many times of satire is to be irreverent. Towards war, death, religion, politics.. the lil old lady that walks her dog.. whatever! To each his own I guess.

Did someone say 'tcp/ip update'?

he he soccer moms!!!

Certainly one of the funniest ads I've seen. The truth is in WW1 many soldiers did shoot themselves in the foot just to get out. Suggesting that they did it for Jim Beam is what advertising is all about. It may be a bit iffy for some people but lighten up. smile.gif It's just like a political cartoon but instead of making fun of Clinton it's making light of another historical issue. Canadian troops did have a rum ration BTW!! I really don't see what is so offensive. To suggest that maybe some men had a different reason for wanting a break isn't bad at all!! That's what comedy is!!!

And the triple amputation thing was pure gold!

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

Come now, everyone has standards and a line beyond which we think one shouldn't cross. You can't just shout hypocrisy because we all have different standards of what we think is acceptable and not. We are allowed to voice our opinions on it. One thing which makes this different is that they are making money off it. Imagine if the subject had been children crippled by mines.

------------------

----

Disaster my friend,

If the commercial was funny enough about crippled children from land mines, I would laugh. Does it mean i now support maming children with land mines??? NO.. come on guys.. you need to boot up the game and go kill some things smile.gif

------------------

The only thing new in the world is the history you don't know - HS Truman

One thing to remember about Adcritic.com, is that a lot of their ads are not shown on normal television. They are spoofs. Meant to be taken lightly. Hence, I seriously doubt we'd see the Jim Beam commercial during Prime hours (even though wouoldn't it be something to see during the Super Bowl?).

Wow, never knew so much could happen in my absence. Perhaps I'm NOT the centre of the Universe after all? Nah.

Anyhow, sorry some of you found the ad offensive. I didn't realize a soldier shooting himself in the foot for alchohol would be taken as an assault on veterans.

My Grandfather was a veteran, and I think he'd have laughed at it. In fact, in retrospect, I think shooting yourself in the foot might not have been a bad idea considering the alternatve.

Also, strange how wargame enthusiasts (people who enjoy simulating this kind of thing) found this advertisement offensive.

I'm young still. Lesson learned.

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 10-26-2000).]

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I was actually suprised to find my self "offended" by it. I didnt get outraged or anything, but it didnt make me laugh. It just left a bad taste in my mouth, becuase the first few seconds were portraying the carnage/chaos of the situation, and the implied bloodshed, and by the end of it, it was all a big joke.

I guess the double standard for me was that it was a film medium, and it instantly hooked me as something really serious. When I sit down to play CM, I know its a game, and yeah I enjoy simulating ww2 bloodshed and combat, and I laugh at Max Molinaro stuff....

This shouldn't be a debate though, we're all intelligent people here, and I don't look down my nose at anyone who was able to find it humorous... Dark humor is just one of those things....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

I was actually suprised to find my self "offended" by it. I didnt get outraged or anything, but it didnt make me laugh. It just left a bad taste in my mouth, becuase the first few seconds were portraying the carnage/chaos of the situation, and the implied bloodshed, and by the end of it, it was all a big joke.

I guess the double standard for me was that it was a film medium, and it instantly hooked me as something really serious. When I sit down to play CM, I know its a game, and yeah I enjoy simulating ww2 bloodshed and combat, and I laugh at Max Molinaro stuff....

This shouldn't be a debate though, we're all intelligent people here, and I don't look down my nose at anyone who was able to find it humorous... Dark humor is just one of those things....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree completely

" I didnt get outraged or anything, but it didn't make me laugh. It just left a bad taste in my mouth,"

thanks for the post....

I'm glad I saw it but is was questionable I think

-tom w