Ukrainian Independence day military parade.

Ivanov

5 hours ago, Oleg said:

Sadly, Oplots was not there.

The commanders are getting retro-patch fitted to prevent rotating in the copula on their own.  :P.....      :ph34r:

On 2016-08-24 at 8:30 AM, gnarly said:

Not signed in

Not signed in

Edited by Blazing 88's

Ivanov,

Thanks for this! The parade was most interesting, and Ukrainian is close enough to Russian I was able to recognize certain  military and technical terms.  Was rather upset the ZU-23 armed BMDs were shown from a distance briefly, whereupon the camera dropped them and went to something else.

Edited by John Kettler

11 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Ivanov,

Thanks for this! The parade was most interesting, and Ukrainian is close enough to Russian I was able to recognize certain  military and technical terms.  Was rather upset the ZU-23 armed BMDs were shown from a distance briefly, whereupon the camera dropped them and went to something else.

No one vehicle with ZU-23 was on parade :). Сan you post screen or point timing of this ? 

PS: Ukrainian close to Russian and we can understand Russian, but Russians in most cases can't understand Ukrainain ). From slavic languages most closest to Ukrainain is Belorusian (about 85 % of common forms of words), next proceed Slovakian and Polish. Russian has only about 60 % of common words. Though Slovakian and Polish has some other grammar, which make hard to understand its.

We have a joke, that Russians like to say about slavic unity, but can't say it neither in Ukarianian nor in Belorusian languages.

Military and technical terms mostly identical or similar - because of its were adopted from Russian (and Russia in own turn adopted many from western languages since 18th century). Though also enough terms are different, for example:

machine gun (eng) - puliemiot (rus) - kulemet (ukr)

rifle - vintovka - hvyntivka

artillery gun - orudiye - harmata

plane - samoliot - litak

observer - nabliudatel' - sposterihach

engine - dvigatel' - dvyhun

turret - bashnia - bashta

flag - flag - prapor

bayonet - shtyk - bahnet    

Edited by Haiduk

Ivanov,

Here's the front end of the parade. It gives a good look at the UA ground forces uniforms and gear.

Haiduk,

I confess myself absolutely baffled on the ZU-23 armed BMD matter. I distinctly recall an instant thrill of recognition of this distinctively armed AFV, yet after watching the video no fewer than three times, I can't find it for the life of me.

On a brighter note, I heard recognizable Ukrainian expressions, some identical/identical sounding to Russian. My spelling is doubtless off.

sil  force

oruzhenie armament

zenitneya raketa  zenith rocket = SAM

teknika technical

S tris  S 300  SAM

brone transporter  armored transporter

Pion, same as in Russian, at least in pronunciation

Akatsiya, as above

Gzodvika, as above

Smersh, as above

Osa, as above

Tochka-U, as above

imeni Malysheva, as above, named for Malyshev

There are more, of course.

Regards,

John Kettler

14 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Ivanov,

Here's the front end of the parade. It gives a good look at the UA ground forces uniforms and gear.

On a brighter note, I heard recognizable Ukrainian expressions, some identical/identical sounding to Russian. My spelling is doubtless off.

sil  force

oruzhenie armament

zenitneya raketa  zenith rocket = SAM

teknika technical

S tris  S 300  SAM

brone transporter  armored transporter

Pion, same as in Russian, at least in pronunciation

Akatsiya, as above

Gzodvika, as above

Smersh, as above

Osa, as above

Tochka-U, as above

imeni Malysheva, as above, named for Malyshev

There are more, of course.

Regards,

John Kettler

Troops on have new experimental everyday/parade uniform. Also VDV and marines marched in "Varan-ZSU" camo, but this pattern also in experimental using already a year. If it will be adopted, that only for VDV, Marines and possibly Special operation forces (they march in grey parade uniform on 1:53-1:58)

About words - Ukrainan grammar has a rule that own names not translate. So, if original name was "Tochka-U" it remains "Tochka-U", not "Krapka-U" (eng. Point-U), as well as automatic mortar 2B9 "Vasiliok" will not turn in 2B9 "Voloshka" (eng. Cornflower) and RPK-74 wil not turn in RKK-74. Words zenitnaya, transporter, name of flowers (Akatsia, Gvozdyka, pion) etc - has Latin/Greek origins and are common for both languages, differing only in some features of pronounciation, words osa, imya also are common. Interest, that bronia (armor), which now considers as origin slavic word ideed adopted by Slavs from German "brunya", when Slavs encountered with Gots in "dark ages".     

armament (eng) - vooruzheniye (rus) - ozbroyennia (ukr) - possibly you have confused something when listened :) 

PS: Ah! I see from where this " oruzhenie - armament ". The dictor indeed said "sered efektyvnykh zasobiv protytankovogo urazhennia..." - "among effective means of anti-tank hitting..."  

This is other word: hit(ting) - porazheniye - urazhennia. Interesting, that Russian word "porazhenie" also means "defeat", but in Ukrainian "defeat" will be "porazka". Though there are vise versa examples, where Ukranian word mean two different military terms, when Russian has two different words.  

Edited by Haiduk