US Marines exercising an amphibious landing operation near Odessa.

Ivanov

Plague...

Im rlly tempted on the F5. I love the mig21 did ya check out the guardians of thw caucuses dynamic campaign? Its awesome. I mastered the huey and love it. I wish Id never bought black shark2. I hate the ka50. Im tempted to buy the gazelle cuz i likenthe huey so much.

The ww2 planes turn me off cuz my comp cant handle multiplayer and the sp for the korea and ww2 planes sucks. The mirage was tempting but i passed. The f5 is nagging at me to get...

I dont like the a10c. Too complex  lol. The A i love. Same with su25s prefer the A over the 10. I got FC3 with the vetter FMs for the aircraft that have been upgraded. I wish theyd get on the mig29. I really dig the A10A and Su25A and F15C and Su27. But I really want a serious FM for the mig 29.

The huey though i mastered and without rudder pedals. I really wish theyd finish working on the AH1 or at the Uh 1 Y venom to the UH1. My fav huey missions are casevac, troop ibsertion and pickup and CSAR though. Someone made a fantastic campaign with

Avietnam skins for the hueys based on vietnam missions. You fly a dustoff chopper. Great missions very immersive and my favorite campaign ive played so far.

I like the P51 but.. again the SP issue. Even with the High stakes campaign its.. disappointing. I rlly wish id bought the f86 mig bundle and gotten the new campaign but too late now.

I really want an mi24. Badly. The naval aircraft named as well. I really dont understand why some more obvious choices arent used. Tornadoes would be friggin awesome. F111s too.

Su24 and 34s. Il28s would be interesting..mig 23s or 27s. Maybe not f16s because its been overdone... but shoot theyre making a eurofighter wgich seems ridiculous its still all classified. Why not make some phantom 2s and harriers etc.

I really want the helos expanded however. I really wish my rig handled mp and i had the money to get a few new planes. Id be happy with a gazelle and f5 for awhile. Or one of those ajd a sabre with the campaign. Sigh.

Ps its really frustrating cuz the guy never got back to me and im no comp whiz. But someone figured out how to change the mig21s in guardians of the caucuses which is a dynamic camp. With persistant damage and tracking of losses to other aircraft. I love the idea. Change em to su27s. Or f15s vs the reds  etc.

Edited by Sublime

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Currahee150 said:

*runs and finds knowledge book*

"She walks she talks she full chalk, the lacteal fluid extracted from the female of the bovine species is highly prolific to the nth degree."

That's lowly plebe knowledge anyway. @Codename Duchess

I have had second thoughts about things I did in the military.  Commissioning via ROTC was never one of them.  

All the same if we keep collecting veterans on this board we could just open up a VFW here or something.  

1 hour ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Commissioning via ROTC was never one of them.

I had a ROTC dude in my squad for summer training. Made me question some things too. "You can go parties?" ""You have more than one attractive girl in your classes?" "You can sleep in until 11?!?" 

I could go on. 

On the other hand, the South Hudson Institute of Technology lets me study military history, and ride in Black Hawks, for free. It depends on what you want. I don't regret my decision in the slightest. Neither is better or worse as a commissioning source - you just have to know what your getting into. One has some pretty cool opportunities and funding to take advantage of. The other has plentiful girls, alcohol, and lets you have a social life. 

I heard a story that ROTC guys actual do better in flight school and stuff. Reason being that after 4 years of college they are partied out, and at least know who to handle their alcohol. South Hudson Institute of Technology grads, on the other hands, do not usually, having been confined to castle Hogwarts for four years of their life. They consequently go crazy with poor results for their classes. 

Edited by Currahee150

It's all personal preference.  You forget who was West Point vs some other source pretty quick, the only folks who really stand out are the OCS dudes who were like E-5+ after making the choice to commission simply because they're implausibly old to be 2LTs.  

The only thing that happened different to the West Point 2LTs at BOLC II/Armor School was us ROTC/OCS guys would steal their stuff, and force them to stand up and do all the weird little cheers ya'll have to learn for football in order to earn their kit back.  I think the "skyrocket" or something like that was a crowd favorite. 

Although I hate to burst your bubble, I got to study military history (World War Two in the Pacific, Europe, US in Vietnam, US National Security Policy, and others all supported my highly marketable Poli Sci degree), and ride Blackhawks.  Got to shoot a M198 back when those were still things too.  Imagine you've gotten to do a bit more of it, but I also licked a girl's shaved head (by invitation!) after enough Turkish Vodka to drown a horse, was in a coma the next day, then hardly passed a PT test the next day (on the plus side, my TAC made me an example of what putting my mind to PT improvement can do when I ran the test completely sober a month later).  

Again it doesn't matter once you really get to your first school, and when you have the random terribad boss who's checking for academy rings before he issues his top ratings for OERs, but it's all in finding the way that works for you.

Just exclude the Turkish Vodka.  It will betray you and make you regret your life choices the next day.  And the day after that.  

Emrys,

Interestingly once the DoD got its hands on it the Bronco lost its STOL ability and became runway bound. They added length to its wings etc.

This is part of its payload issue- a skyraider was designed for runways. The bronco was meant to be able to land on a road in a jungle if need be.

21 hours ago, Sublime said:

Plague...

Im rlly tempted on the F5. I love the mig21 did ya check out the guardians of thw caucuses dynamic campaign? Its awesome. I mastered the huey and love it. I wish Id never bought black shark2. I hate the ka50. Im tempted to buy the gazelle cuz i likenthe huey so much.

The ww2 planes turn me off cuz my comp cant handle multiplayer and the sp for the korea and ww2 planes sucks. The mirage was tempting but i passed. The f5 is nagging at me to get...

I dont like the a10c. Too complex  lol. The A i love. Same with su25s prefer the A over the 10. I got FC3 with the vetter FMs for the aircraft that have been upgraded. I wish theyd get on the mig29. I really dig the A10A and Su25A and F15C and Su27. But I really want a serious FM for the mig 29.

The huey though i mastered and without rudder pedals. I really wish theyd finish working on the AH1 or at the Uh 1 Y venom to the UH1. My fav huey missions are casevac, troop ibsertion and pickup and CSAR though. Someone made a fantastic campaign with

Avietnam skins for the hueys based on vietnam missions. You fly a dustoff chopper. Great missions very immersive and my favorite campaign ive played so far.

I like the P51 but.. again the SP issue. Even with the High stakes campaign its.. disappointing. I rlly wish id bought the f86 mig bundle and gotten the new campaign but too late now.

I really want an mi24. Badly. The naval aircraft named as well. I really dont understand why some more obvious choices arent used. Tornadoes would be friggin awesome. F111s too.

Su24 and 34s. Il28s would be interesting..mig 23s or 27s. Maybe not f16s because its been overdone... but shoot theyre making a eurofighter wgich seems ridiculous its still all classified. Why not make some phantom 2s and harriers etc.

I really want the helos expanded however. I really wish my rig handled mp and i had the money to get a few new planes. Id be happy with a gazelle and f5 for awhile. Or one of those ajd a sabre with the campaign. Sigh.

Ps its really frustrating cuz the guy never got back to me and im no comp whiz. But someone figured out how to change the mig21s in guardians of the caucuses which is a dynamic camp. With persistant damage and tracking of losses to other aircraft. I love the idea. Change em to su27s. Or f15s vs the reds  etc.

No, I haven't tried out many of the campaigns. I have the new A-10 and F-15 ones I need to try, got them both free. I usually end up creating my own scenarios to fly. I do have Black Shark but sadly haven't flown it much. The Huey: I was able to cold start, take off, and fly but damn if I can't hover or land. I don't do multi-player anymore, my Internet is terrible, which sucks even more since I backed War of Rights.

I would love to see harriers or AH1, UH1Y, and Mi24. I would have to learn helos well then. The A-10C is fun for me. Almost a meditative work going thru the complexity of a 2 hour mission. I have 2 giant binders full of info on the C, that I use for missions lol.

16 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

do all the weird little cheers ya'll have to learn for football in order to earn their kit back.

That's just mean, man. 

I always thought it was just the task force guys from the 10th Mountain and air assault school that relished making us do the rocket, but I guess everyone likes to make fun of it. *sigh*.

And it sounds like I should have lived in the northwest. My state schools didn't have any of that. And I sure wasn't going to the Citadel. USMA may suck in some ways, but I think that the Citadel just sucks all around. Not by the graduates it produces by any means, but just the lifestyle. Pay to get hazed? No thanks. But then again, to each his own. 

3 hours ago, Plague2Delta said:

Is that a bad thing? I have learned a ton from lurking and reading veterans posts and knowledge, including yours lol.

I thinks this forum may tie with my MS100 class for military skills learned. Well, maybe not skills, but interesting things that will come in handy should I get armor. 

On August 2, 2016 at 4:45 PM, c3k said:

Platoon is 3 squads plus HQ of 4 men. That's 43 total. To lift a platoon would require 4 vehicles...and leave just one open seat. It's incomprehensible to me that they'd do that.

I was also surprised by the "11 Marines" comment. Also, at risk of being "PC," since the Secretary of the Department of Defense has opened all billets to all genders, we should use the correct term of "one officer and 42 enlisted." Officers were never considered "men" in the first place.   

On August 4, 2016 at 0:49 AM, Michael Emrys said:

Yeah, didn't the Marines come up with the idea of vertical envelopment to avoid just that back in the '50s? Is the current idea that the first wave goes in via helos and Ospreys with follow-up forces landing on neutralized beaches via the kinds of vehicles discussed in this thread? I think that opposed amphibious landings are still considered the most dangerous and difficult job around.

Michael 

Yup, you're right. However, we still can't get as many Marines on the beach by vert envelopment as by sea landing. We used it to postition units such as a 105-battery with an infantry platoon as a guard.

Plague  it sounds dumb but honestly learn to fly the huey then learn the adf and fm homing and you.re good. Screw every switch thats a bird you learn to fly not learn to read like the A10C.

With the huey make sure you set the curve on your joy to 20 to 30 maybe deadzone too x and y.  Throttles always maxed. I wouldnt put the collective on a slider unless you got one of those nice setups if you have a 40 dollar joystick with a slider at the base that twists for rudder (and yes i fly the huey very well with just that ) put the collective on two buttons to the right of the china hat up for more down less.

Practice like mad. You.ll get it. Trim helps a lot of ppl but tbh unless  im flying somewhere far i dnt bother. You.ll get it. You think its bad the gazelle is twitchy as all hell. I miss my huey learning it.

But seriously its worth learning man. Especially if you dwnload that casevac campaign from the forums.

Sublime,

Well flying it was never an issue, just the hover and landing. I will have to try again someone, the Vietnam dust off campaign sounded interesting.  I do have a decent set up with hotas, track ir, pedals, so I will have to try to readjust everything when I attempt it again. Yea, practice is always the key, especially with DCS lol. I heard the gazelle was twitchy, shied away from it til I bet better at rotor wing.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Its really easy to fly. Esp if u got the huey down. Its just soooo easy to go too fast or end up nose pointed down so steep you crash. I splurged and got the f5. Even tho the lack of content suvks its an ansolute joy to fly.

I got the f86 and highly regret it. Love the plane but its like havng the p51 since mp doesnt work for me well. I bought it for the campaign and turns out i need the mig15 too. Pretty upset on that angle.

Hovering and landin is still tricky for me with the huey. This is whats key. Dont overcompensate.

Also be very careful whn you get to abt 40 knots. Thats the danger zone for you to enter vortex ring.if your able to not rapidly decelerate but slowly do so then you can easily slow down velow 40 then slowly adjust ur altitude and slow it down. Once ur under 20 knots even if u land the helo shud take it. Second of all theres no moment of no return like landing a plane on a runway. Things get funny start over.

Finally the climb sink rate meter is very important. More than 5 ms of drop and youll break the skids and maybe your ride. So as long as your landing is less than neg 5 on that your good. Its good you find a visual point of refetence. Keep an eye on that, hsi, drop rate and speed. You.ll be fine.

After thay adf which i still havet mastered because ill just cheat andnuse map board and mark my position or not cheat and use landmarks. Fm hominfs very important and i got adf down well but for some reason on a biiiiig csar mission where all kindas ****s going on plus u can do troop inserts the adf is sposed to lead u to downed aircrew and it never works for me.

Ironically i like the huey least as a gunship. I like inserting extracting troops and cadualties. Rescuing downed pilots.

The gazelle has a lot of promise. Ita fun to fly and u can really get into some small spaces. But i like the huey the hueys very steady in comparison.

The medevac campaigb blows the UN campaignaway. U only need one mod and its for skins tho u can get a mod that makes the terrain vietnam esque. Still just with the mods to make yr heli have us army dust off markings from a medal of honor dust off pilots helo, the designer made the campaignvery well and it feels righr. For example one missoon you fly to an artillery base ontop of a mountain. You land bc troops are gonna assault the enemy. Youre on call idling. M777s are booming shelling the enemy.

Suddenly the radio crackles. A trooper stepped on a 105mm shell. Casualties. You fly in. Theres a firefight. Too bad onlu the nevada map and beyond makes trees an item u can crash into. That does kill immersion. But basicaly you goto the troopd they pop smoke u land in a clearing its tough cuz the ground slopes some. Very rewarding though.

Another you fm home onto a whole bunch of helos. You all take off. Casevac is needed you close in and get warned ofd enemy triple a! Ah 1s roll in take care of it then u get the casualties. It just feels real bud.

Sublime,

Oh yea, its fun as hell to fly. I remember when I first got it, I finally got off the ground and had a blast rolling low and fast along the rivers in the Georgia map.  Then the problem of low fuel and landing kinda cut into my fun.  I have to say from what I have flown in the Huey, prolly around 5 hours total that I have owned it, it takes just the slightest touch, which can be extremely hard to get used to, or at least for me.  Watching for overcompensation is probably the key, just wrote that advice down for the next time I fly it.  As for the campaign, the missions sound great, making me want to go fly it again just so I can check it out.  I have to put this out there, I have the deepest respect for Dustoff, whether its Vietnam era Hueys or Blackhawks today.  But, I also have to be honest, “It just feels real bud” made me cringe just a tad, bringing the sounds of rotors and reminding me what that sound meant for us on the ground after making those medevac calls.  But, I will leave that there.

I was afraid of that for the F-5.  The armament was my turn off for it, besides in my opinion I have the M-2000C, which was my go to between the two modules.  I have to disagree, the F-86 is a blast to me.  I never do multiplayer, so creating missions is my bag.  Always an exciting challenge up against Mig-15’s, even SU-25’s lol.  Plus you have to admit, the Sabre is one badass looking plane.  That beautiful combination of sci-fi fantasy, 50’s design, and almost a thoroughbred flair makes an interesting appeal, plus my grandfather was a wrench monkey for the USAF in Korea.

Since ive been tooling around with it i have to admit dogfighting mig15s and especially downing them.is very gratifying. The f5 is very unique in that its the only.jet ive ever flown with good missiles where using the gun is really almost as good as an option. Plus these little doors open to fire em and its just james bond esque. But seriously the tein 20mms on that plane are very lethal accurate and its an extremely easy and stable gun platform. Armament aint bad man. You can do cap with a 4 ship with gci as a 2nd line. It carries mk 82s 84s snakes and nape. Plus lgbs that just need someone else to lase. The huey wont be so twitchy if you modify or tune your axis that makes up for what in real life is a much larger area for pilots to move their stick. The gazelle IS twitchy. The hueys rock stable in comparison. I love that bird.

Make sure you keep in mind the stock huey campaign is the UN campaign. Its not bad but iirc some patches broke some missions and some missions suck. A good work around is going to single player my.missions and opening the campaign as a sp file. Most campaigns break open intoall their missions. In the UN campaign theres like 3 good mix missions of emergency response ad hoc gun ship and prepared. Also some good extraction and insertions. And a few imaginative ones like one where you patrol an MSR with a 5 man fire team and you "pull over" suspicious vehicles and let the squad inspect them...

Goto the dcs page and forums. Look under the huey missions if you still cant find it pm me. Huey missions are ynder the missions and campaigns forum not the belsimtik then huey forum.

Trust me the hueys the least important ac in the game to know any instrumentation on - its the perfect example.of something you truly fly.

Landing like me you.ll probably have to completely erase any idea of coming down flaring and planting like every single nam huey pilot did every day. We.re not nam huey pilots and its testament to their utter professionalism and skill they make something so insanely difficult so easy. For now and especially since trees ( note everything else will hurt ) dont actually physically exist ( only georgia map ) use ur landings so - a long descent and when you get close you carefuly get lower and yet keep moving forward and slowly moving. Finally you.l get very low and make sure youmre not going too fast or your front helo blade will eat the ground when you stop, but keep slowly lowering and twitchibg it around and generally you.ll settlle usually at some angle and quickly lower your collective another click. This settles your huey in and if it settles right and a quad .51 didnt open up lower the rpms.more to let the  medics come or the grunts get off. Dont be surprised if your door gunners are going nuts and make sure you order them weapons free at the beginning of each mission

I really cant emphasize enough how impressed i am with the f5. Yes fir the USAF F4s and other planes were more versatile andnworked better. But for countries with less need of that or less money this plane could do most a2g jobs just fine and defend itself a2a more than competently enough. Its ridiculously easy to fly - the easiest dcs plane by far - and i could see how a poor country could have proficient pilots in the technical operation ofnthe plane in 6 weeks from signing on the st to becoming a pilot and learning tactics etc with a plane such as this. If im not mistaken was this or not a deliberate decision by northrop grumman for the F5?

Edited by Sublime

Ah plague I missed the wrench monkey part.

My grandfather on my fathers side was a USAAF mechanic in.the PTO. My dad flew F4Ds as a WSO in Nam in 72. Saw a lot of combat (a2g) when the North tried to openly invade the south. 

BUT it ruined his life, he never got over it except in a bottle, and it destroyed his ability to form meaningful relatio ships with anyone let alone family. Wars terrible even if you.re in the sky.

Well my father was the one in Nam. His father was a remf mechanic for the USAAF in the PTO whereas maternally my grandfatger served on the USS Leyte during the Korean War 

The gazelle is twichry as all hell but more practice and learning to use slight movements and instead of racing the collective up and down using minor adjustments along with altering your AoA and allowing a second or two to let the collective cushion will save you a lot of trouble. These are fundamebrals to al the helos except the damned ka5o i  just gave up on that... thing